spring flowers

Options
I want to plant some flowers this year and I was wondering form experienced gardeners what the best and easiest plant to start out with would be? I am not sure yet if I am going to plant seeds or just buy some flowers and plant, but I want something easy to begin with with relatively low maintenance as i am a confessed plant killer:frown:

Replies

• kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I want to plant some flowers this year and I was wondering form experienced gardeners what the best and easiest plant to start out with would be? I am not sure yet if I am going to plant seeds or just buy some flowers and plant, but I want something easy to begin with with relatively low maintenance as i am a confessed plant killer:frown:
  • graypink0130
    Options
    I think sunflowers are really easy to grow...and they always make me smile when I see one, I have one tattooed on my back!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the weather is like where you are at, but in Minnesota, my favorites are...

for the shade... Hostas, astilbe, lily of the valley, bleeding hearts (keep in a low profile area - they get ugly after they are done with their spring season) & hydrangea bushes (need some extra watering)

Sun - I like to use grasses, daylillys, & spirea.

All of the above grow quickly & you can split them after a couple years - except for the bushes.

I don't usually plant anything until we get close to or after Memorial day (depending on how the weather has been.)

Talk to your local nursery for easy annuals if you are looking for something just for this season.
  • anothergoat
    anothergoat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I LOVE gardening, but I try to keep it simple and stick with plants that are low maintenance and that are tough enough to survive our winters (even though we are in New Mexico, we are at 7,000 feet -our temperature can easily dip below 0 and we get freezes through May). I also wait until Memorial Day to put out anything that isn't hardy. Here are the plants I've had the most success with:

Springtime blooms: Daffodils (they live longer than tulips and are supposed to be deer resistant), columbine, dianthus, lilacs, sweet violets, iris.

Summer blooms: Shrub roses (like Nearly Wild or the Knock Out roses - or ones growing on their own roots), daylilies, butterfly bushes, Russian sage, coneflowers, hardy geraniums. For bright and colorful annuals, I love petunias and geraniums for the sun and impatiens for the shade.

Late summer/autumn blooms: Blue mist shrub, sunflowers, Maximilian sunflowers, mums, asters.

Our soil is kind of alkaline and combined with the altitude there are a lot of things I can't grow here (I can't tell you how many hydrangeas I've murdered....I can't even get them to grow in pots :cry: ). Just realize some plants are going unhappy in your particular garden no matter what you do. It takes a bit of trial and error.

Happy Gardening :flowerforyou: - it can become an addiction. I spend most of January staring at plant catalogs and thinking spring will never get here!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think sunflowers are really easy to grow...and they always make me smile when I see one, I have one tattooed on my back!!!:flowerforyou:

Seconded! But, make sure that they have sun exposure at the angle you want to see them. I planted a row once, and they turned their backs on me all summer. Great for people walking past, bad for out my window. . .I guess it's better to give than receive!

Also, for easy ground covering, Nasturiums are super hearty, and you can eat them. (just don't spray them) and you'll have the prettiest salads in town.

If you have room, you could put a tomato plant or two and a cucumber plant. Especially with the tomato plant, you will be so happy when you eat one right off the vine. I miss my matoes!:cry:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the weather is like where you are at, but in Minnesota, my favorites are...

for the shade... Hostas, astilbe, lily of the valley, bleeding hearts (keep in a low profile area - they get ugly after they are done with their spring season) & hydrangea bushes (need some extra watering)

Sun - I like to use grasses, daylillys, & spirea.

All of the above grow quickly & you can split them after a couple years - except for the bushes.

I don't usually plant anything until we get close to or after Memorial day (depending on how the weather has been.)

Talk to your local nursery for easy annuals if you are looking for something just for this season.

These are all great suggestions...I was thinking along the same lines. Just remember never to plant until you are sure there will be no more frost. It is also a great idea to find out what growing zone you are in, for example, here in Indiana we are a zone 5. This will be extremly helpful when it is time to make your decisions. The great thing when using seed, is that you can start your plants in small containers indoors and then transplant when the fear of frost is over. Perennials are a great investment because they continue to come back year after year. They are great for "anchoring" your landscape and then the annuals can be used to supplement or border your landscape. You might also want to think about wildflowers, too. I bought one of those roll on carpet like things and watered for a week or so....talk about easy. A good idea when planning your landscape would be to draw it out on paper depicting the type and placement of your plants and also the height and bloom time. That gives you a good mental picture of the effect you are seeking. Good luck on your first flowering endeavor!

PS. If you look into daylillies, check out the Stella D'Oro variety. It is small and compact w/ bright yellow flowers and blooms throughout the summer.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Planting things that provide you constant changes in color like a bed with a mix of Iris, Gladiolus, and Day Lilies. Each of these are easily dug up and transplanted as they reproduce in good volume. They will bloom at different times from spring to late summer.

You might consider choreopsis as well but they can be invasive and hard to control. The flower is delicate and very long lasting into mid-fall. Bob