Signs of "starvation mode"?

Options
I'm a 34yr old woman, 130 lbs. 5'3". I have been working out 7 days per week for approx. one month (training for Tough Mudder in April). Approx 2 weeks ago I began eating clean & counting calories on MFP. I have set my calories intake to lose 1/2 lbs. per week. This calculates at 1320 cals per day & I'm averaging that. I burned approx. 250 per day exercising & I'm not eating back those calories. I know this puts me under 1200 net per day but I feel great. My energy level is way up & I'm sleeping better than ever. Haven't lost any weight but lost 1 in. off waist and 1/2 in from each arm. Am I starving myself? Are there physical signs (other than lack of weight loss) that I should be looking out for? thanks for your responses!

Replies

• Zoemarie89
    Options
    Hey, I found this, seems to be pretty good :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/458832-signs-symptoms-of-starvation-mode/

I am by no means an expert but from what I understand, when you don't eat enough calories to supply your body with the fuel it needs (especially if you're exercising), then it's like your body 'panics' - "Oh crap! We're starving! Quick, store ALL the fat!"
    So in actual fact it makes it harder to lose weight when you're not meeting your 1,200 a day NET.

As well as this, while MFP is great for basics, you should use the site to figure out your BMR and TDEE. This will give you a much more realistic calorie goal. It'll probably raise your calorie goal and make it feel like you can't possibly eat that much and still lose, but believe me, it's much more attainable long term and a much healthier way to lose fat and keep it off.

Search "In Place Of A Road Map" on here, it will give you loads of information :)

Good Luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Real starvation mode kicks in after months of eating less than 500 calories a day and being less than 5% body fat. I seriously doubt that you're there.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Once invoked, must be linked.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

*Senor gif should have a gif for that......*
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I would not say you are in "starvation mode" however, you should try to net 1200 calories at least. This will make it easier for your body to adjust to "maintance" calorie level when you reach your goal weight :)

If you don't feel hungry but want to get to the 1200 calorie level, I'd suggest maybe a few nuts (I love almonds). Not a salted/ flavoured option, just some plain nuts to give your body some protein :)