Reintroducing myself after a life-changing diagnosis

Options
amdahwd
amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
I joined MFP in December 2011 and lost over 50 pounds by following my calorie plan and exercising of all forms.

A few weeks ago, I started being tired, no energy, thirsty, and could not finish my workouts without nausea, lightheadedness, faintness, sweating. Long story short, I ended up in the ICU and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at age 43 years old (a rare occurrence I am told). I now am on insulin shots 4 times a day and have no chance of coming off of them even with proper diet and exercise. All I can hope to do is control my levels to be able to take less insulin and reduce my risk of complications in the future.

Right now, I am at the acceptance stage that this has happened and I have to deal with it, even though everything I have been doing for the last year was to prevent illness- not just for vanity. It just does not seem fair that this happened to me after all my hard work though and I have been very stressed and upset for the past week .

I am going to ask for support from other type 1 diabetics so that I can draw from your knowledge and also to minimize my stress levels about whether I can still lose weight, what I can eat as snacks, what works for you and what doesn't etc.

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in December 2011 and lost over 50 pounds by following my calorie plan and exercising of all forms.

A few weeks ago, I started being tired, no energy, thirsty, and could not finish my workouts without nausea, lightheadedness, faintness, sweating. Long story short, I ended up in the ICU and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at age 43 years old (a rare occurrence I am told). I now am on insulin shots 4 times a day and have no chance of coming off of them even with proper diet and exercise. All I can hope to do is control my levels to be able to take less insulin and reduce my risk of complications in the future.

Right now, I am at the acceptance stage that this has happened and I have to deal with it, even though everything I have been doing for the last year was to prevent illness- not just for vanity. It just does not seem fair that this happened to me after all my hard work though and I have been very stressed and upset for the past week .

I am going to ask for support from other type 1 diabetics so that I can draw from your knowledge and also to minimize my stress levels about whether I can still lose weight, what I can eat as snacks, what works for you and what doesn't etc.

I'm really sorry that you received this bad news. I hope those who are dealing with Type I or who are helping a loved one with it will give you some sound advice.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Congratulations on the Progress you have already made! I am not a Diabetic, but I am sure you will find many MFPers who are, and there is most likely a Group for you to join here.
    :heart: Good Luck, I know with Education & Moral Support, you are going to be just fine!!