FitBit or HRM?

Options
I just looked up the FitBit, and man, it looks cool. I bought a Polar FT4 recently, but have yet to actually use it (it's intimidating to me for some reason!). Does anyone have experience using both? If so, which is preferable? I'm really intrigued by the FitBit's sleep tracker as well. Pros? Cons? Thanks!

Replies

• rensife
    rensife Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Luv my fitbit - I had problems and they replaced it twice - FAST customer service - can't live without it - teams up well with MFP - worth every $$$ :laugh:
  • Nautigirl55
    Nautigirl55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have both fitbit and HRM. I love the fitbit. I always want I to add steps so I'm moving all the time. I only use the HRM. when I do a specific work out. I wear my fitbit all day & all night.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love my Fitbit. It's proven itself accurate over the past month, and it's extremely unobtrusive. It's just.... so cool.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM, but I've been using my fitbit since early January. I love it! I recently upped my step goal to 12,000 a day instead of 10,000. It really keeps me moving!
  • aaariel00
    aaariel00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit and a HRM and I love both! It's fun using the fitbit and trying to hit your daily goals. It's easy to wear and use, and I only need to charge it once a week. I wear my fitbit constantly and use the HRM during my workouts. The fitbit is good for running/walking, but if you're doing more dynamic workouts with a lot of arm movement it's not very accurate. Overall I love using the fitbit, it's great motivation! :happy:
  • KaitDW
    KaitDW Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had both. And it kinda depends what you are after. I love my HRM because I do lots of different types of workouts (crossfit, yoga etc) the hrm allows me to see how hard my work out was . The fitbit was great for getting me to take more steps during a day.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Personally think both are needed.. I started with fitbit. Its great for counting steps (running, walking, climbing stairs) I am going to get the an HRM for specific workouts.. .
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Depends...fitbit is great for tracking overall calories...not so great for managing fitness goals. You need a HRM to manage fitness goals...i.e. workout zones to avoid over train or under train.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    used fit bit last year, I loved it really motivates you. Warning they are small. I lost mine twice wearing them at work and never found them again. after second I did not replace and i am super bumbed about it.
  • Pricanma13
    Pricanma13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit, the sleep tracking is awesome and accurate, I wouldn't change it for the world. When mine was washed a couple of times and died, i even bought a new one!
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I lovvveee my fitbit!! Its great motivation :]
    I had a couple HRMs actually any neither tracked my activity as well as fitbit does
  • mk834
    mk834 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I think I'm definitely going to get one. It seems worth the $100!
  • sjanes9
    sjanes9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We just got my wife a FitBit and were thinking she might need a HRM for specific, cycling, workouts. What I am curious about. Do you continue to wear the FitBit when you are wearing the HRM? Or do you take the FitBit off while you are doing the workouts?
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I just looked up the FitBit, and man, it looks cool. I bought a Polar FT4 recently, but have yet to actually use it (it's intimidating to me for some reason!). Does anyone have experience using both? If so, which is preferable? I'm really intrigued by the FitBit's sleep tracker as well. Pros? Cons? Thanks!

you'll need a HRM if you have a fitbit to track exercise calories correctly. And with the sleep tracker make sure you don't put your wristband on too tight, i've been waking up as i'm removing the wrist band a couple times this week, i think it was cutting off circulation to my hand haha so yeah I fix it and fall back to sleep again with no problems.
  • kpierce169
    kpierce169 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use both and love them both!
  • slimcakelady
    slimcakelady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Luv my fitbit - I had problems and they replaced it twice - FAST customer service - can't live without it - teams up well with MFP - worth every $$$ :laugh:
    I agree wholeheartedly. Just based on the customer service, I would highly recommend it. I just recently lost mine, and they responded within the same day of my email and are replacing it for FREE. I love it as a fitness tool, and it is very compatible with MFP.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit and a HRM and I love both! It's fun using the fitbit and trying to hit your daily goals. It's easy to wear and use, and I only need to charge it once a week. I wear my fitbit constantly and use the HRM during my workouts. The fitbit is good for running/walking, but if you're doing more dynamic workouts with a lot of arm movement it's not very accurate. Overall I love using the fitbit, it's great motivation! :happy:

This exactly :)
  • healthyme_2013
    Options
    I have had my fitbit for almost a year now. LOVE it! Lost it twice and thankfully found it both times. Dropped it in the toilet once too, dried out and works perfectly. The clip broke once when I got it caught and they replaced it for free. Customer service is awesome. I have never had an HRM , cuirious about one but I think for the money I shall stick solely to my fitbit. I LOVE IT! did I mention that already :)
  • wvgirlnfl
    wvgirlnfl Posts: 30
    Options
    I just started using the Fitbit in January. I have a heart rate monitor also. The heart rate monitor is more accurate for workouts, the Fitbit is a little like a pedometer with blue tooth. The way you work them together on MFP is that you keep track of what time you start the exercise with the heart rate monitor and the calories burned and you enter that in and I assume it deducts the calories that your Fitbit counts during that time. It tells you on here how to do it. I really like having both of them because the Fitbit does make you aware of how much you are moving and how many steps you take and the HRM shows how good of a workout that you have had.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Here's a little graphic I made of my Fitbit's recorded calorie expenditure, along with my MFP calorie intake, as compared to my weight over time for the past two weeks.

haox.jpg