Strength training at home

Options
OK, so I want to start focusing on more strength training in addition to cardio. It's easy for me to do cardio at home, but what about strength training? What do you guys do at home to build muscle? I'm not talking about cardio/strength combos, but rather something that is purely focused on strength/anaerobic exercise.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I do the 30 day shred at home and a few other Jillian DVDs.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Isn't 30 DS mostly cardio though?
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options

Isn't 30 DS mostly cardio though?

It incorporates both. You use weights a lot.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much space you have and how much money you have to spend. You can get lots of great used equipment and get started on some great programs. I do StrongLifts at home. I bought a power rack, bench, and 300lb Olympic barbell set. Best investment ever!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I did p90x seems to have more strength days in it then cardio:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you don't have equipment or weights, there's a lot you can do with just your own body weight. The difficulty is progression for strength gains and building muscle as your body adapts...it just get's harder to use body weight after awhile...plus it takes more time because you have to do more reps to exhaust your muscles...but I know lots of people who've given themselves nice tight bodies doing nothing but body weight stuff.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    jillian michaels no more trouble zones has no cardio and it is on youtube ! you need dumbbells for this
  • LATeagno
    Options
    I have a half empty basement with nothing in it but a treadmill. Garage sale season is coming up. I'm thinking freeweights? :)
  • LATeagno
    Options
    jillian michaels no more trouble zones has no cardio and it is on youtube ! you need dumbbells for this

Perfect! Thanks! :D
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Something similar to P90X but actually wallet friendly (plus the trainers are not as annoying or smily like most DVD's all the time) - Supreme 90Day. I found mine at ROSS a few months back for $5, Amazon has it for less than $20. 10 DVD's, different workouts. The only things you'll need are a matt - which you probably already have - an exercise ball (chances are you have that already as well) and some dumbbells. You can always pick up heavier ones at Walmart or Sports Authority when they have sales as you need.

For more "fun" workouts, believe it or not, The FIRM has some great ones - my Fav fall back is Get Chisel'd, or Total Body Time Crunch (I use 10lb dumbbells for pretty much the whole workout, I haven't got my 12's & 15's yet due to $$!)
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/

scooby is awesome - he has built an impressive physique using mostly all at home gym routines, with lots of bodyweight exercises. You can get all the weights you need easily off craigslist for dirt cheap. He uses a lot of supersets in order to maximize effectiveness at home - and his physique is proof that you can build a damn good physique without setting foot in gyms (I think he goes to a gym very very rarely) He has beginner workout plans as well
  • LATeagno
    Options
    If you don't have equipment or weights, there's a lot you can do with just your own body weight. The difficulty is progression for strength gains and building muscle as your body adapts...it just get's harder to use body weight after awhile...plus it takes more time because you have to do more reps to exhaust your muscles...but I know lots of people who've given themselves nice tight bodies doing nothing but body weight stuff.

Definitely what i'll start off doing. Any recommendations using household stuff?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I have a half empty basement with nothing in it but a treadmill. Garage sale season is coming up. I'm thinking freeweights? :)
    yes. If you have room for freeweights... power rack / bench / bar / weights. Boom. success. If I had the room, I'd do the same in a heartbeat.
  • LATeagno
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/

scooby is awesome - he has built an impressive physique using mostly all at home gym routines, with lots of bodyweight exercises. You can get all the weights you need easily off craigslist for dirt cheap. He uses a lot of supersets in order to maximize effectiveness at home - and his physique is proof that you can build a damn good physique without setting foot in gyms (I think he goes to a gym very very rarely) He has beginner workout plans as well

Muy fantastico! :D I knew you guys would be a help! :D
  • LATeagno
    Options
    yes. If you have room for freeweights... power rack / bench / bar / weights. Boom. success. If I had the room, I'd do the same in a heartbeat.

I will keep this in mind. I want to start focusing on more strength than cardio (per my health coach). I'm hoping I can get some used equipment for cheap.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot at home with body weight and/or a few dumbbells. The other alternative is kettlebells, both the ballistic and static movements are great for muscle growth. You would have to get a heavier kettlebell as you progress, but they are fairly small.
  • LATeagno
    Options
    Something similar to P90X but actually wallet friendly (plus the trainers are not as annoying or smily like most DVD's all the time) - Supreme 90Day. I found mine at ROSS a few months back for $5, Amazon has it for less than $20. 10 DVD's, different workouts. The only things you'll need are a matt - which you probably already have - an exercise ball (chances are you have that already as well) and some dumbbells. You can always pick up heavier ones at Walmart or Sports Authority when they have sales as you need.

For more "fun" workouts, believe it or not, The FIRM has some great ones - my Fav fall back is Get Chisel'd, or Total Body Time Crunch (I use 10lb dumbbells for pretty much the whole workout, I haven't got my 12's & 15's yet due to $$!)

This sounds ideal because I have all of those things already. Thanks a ton!
  • dannydavidson89
    Options
  • frog131908
    frog131908 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I. Use Jillian michaels circuit training on the Wii sometimes
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitness Blender on You Tube, also try BeFit in 90, also on You Tube, it incorporates cardio and strength.