Fasting- good or bad?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The post above is 100% nonsense. If you weren't raging at lemon juice killing cancer cells you are soulless.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    The post above is 100% nonsense. If you weren't raging at lemon juice killing cancer cells you are soulless.
    Everyone has cancer cells in their body, but not everyone has "cancer" or I hope we don't. With a normally functioning immune system, our bodies are able to identify and eliminate these rogue cancer cells. But if our immune system is weakened and/or we are exposed to things like cigarette smoke, excessive sunlight or excessive alcohol, then these tiny cancers can grow and become a potentially life-threatening tumor.

Consuming lemon juice or soursop isn't a cure for cancer, it isn't a treatment to replace chemotherapy. I didn't say it worked better than chemo. It isn't for people who have cancer to just drink lemon juice and not visit the doctor, but It does help the body kill cancer cells. Red wine does the same thing and so does soursop (this is a fruit).
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fasting does have benefits but there is a great deal that goes into it. Before the fast eating fruits and vegtables. During the fast staying hydrated (unless for spiritual reasons you are doing a non water or food fast). When breaking the fast (breakfast) you should not eat heavy. Fruits and vegtables again. One time I broke a fast with burgers and fries (bad idea! felt so sick) Also do very minimal activity to include not working out. I only fast for religious reasons and would not recommend a fast for people that struggle with eating disorders without a large deal of accountability. Hope this helps.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Fasting does have benefits but there is a great deal that goes into it. Before the fast eating fruits and vegtables. During the fast staying hydrated (unless for spiritual reasons you are doing a non water or food fast). When breaking the fast (breakfast) you should not eat heavy. Fruits and vegtables again. One time I broke a fast with burgers and fries (bad idea! felt so sick) Also do very minimal activity to include not working out. I only fast for religious reasons and would not recommend a fast for people that struggle with eating disorders without a large deal of accountability. Hope this helps.
    How long did you fast and what kind did you do?
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The most I have done was a 48 hour water only. In January I did a three day liquid only since I had to work 12 hour shifts while my church was doing a 3 day water only. I got those V8 fusions that are high in sugar and ate one meal a day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In to learn more about how the lemon juice can get from my stomach/intestines to where the cancer cells are in other parts of my body to kill them...(and that's assuming that the lemon juice has the power to kill the cancer cells once it gets to them*).

* And it absolutely does not, just so we're all clear on where I stand on this particular issue.

ETA: Oh, and I agree with the responses that said there may...*may*...be some potential health benefits, but detoxification isn't one of them. Not eating does not make toxins leave your body. (And if it did, someone please tell me specifically what toxins are leaving the body during the fast that otherwise weren't already leaving.)
  • Sunny____
    Options
    In to learn more about how the lemon juice can get from my stomach/intestines to where the cancer cells are in other parts of my body to kill them...(and that's assuming that the lemon juice has the power to kill the cancer cells once it gets to them*).

* And it absolutely does not, just so we're all clear on where I stand on this particular issue.

ETA: Oh, and I agree with the responses that said there may...*may*...be some potential health benefits, but detoxification isn't one of them. Not eating does not make toxins leave your body. (And if it did, someone please tell me specifically what toxins are leaving the body during the fast that otherwise weren't already leaving.)
    LOL! If you want to know HOW lemon juice travels once it is down your throat in order to benefit you, you're going to have to ask your doctor next time you see him/her. You might then understand how vitamin C "leaves your stomach/intestines (as you say) to fight a cold. And how milk " leave your intestines" (as you say) to make you have stronger bones and teeth. Or how beer leaves your stomach/intestines and makes you drunk. Those liquids escape somehow to work their magic. . hmmm?? LOL!

And then when your doctor explains how that works ask him/her about phytohemicals and if they kill cancer cells. Ask your doctor if phytochemicals are best found in citric fruits such as saw ((gulp)) "lemons"
    This is a copy and paste from a website called the, "NATIONAL CANCER SOCIETY" But what the heck do they know. . .eh?

Phytochemicals are promoted for the prevention and treatment of many health conditions, including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure. There is some evidence that certain phytochemicals may help prevent the formation of potential carcinogens (substances that cause cancer), block the action of carcinogens on their target organs or tissue, or act on cells to suppress cancer development. Many experts suggest that people can reduce their risk of cancer significantly by eating more fruits, vegetables, and other foods from plants that contain phytochemicals. Some of the better-known phytochemicals include beta carotene and other carotenoids, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), folic acid, and vitamin E.

Lemons are ascorbic acid (vitamin c) which is found in the last line I just copied and pasted.

LOL! You're cute!
  • Sunny____
    Options
    oops double post. Dang I hate when I do that.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    No, citrus may be beneficial in possibly killing cancer cells - but currently only in laboratory tests, nothing has been proven in the body. This is a hoax based on exaggeration of scientific studies.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/lemon-cancer-cells.shtml

"The email and information in question did not come from the Health Sciences Institute. Whoever started this scam email did use some of our published material – which had nothing to do with lemons in any way – and inserted the information about lemons. It is erroneous and has caused us a great deal of trouble. However, most troubling is that it is giving false or un-tested medical advice to people suffering with cancer. Perhaps citrus fruits have some anti-cancer properties or perhaps they don’t (I’m not qualified to speak on that), but the one thing I know for certain is the provided “source” of this information – the Health Sciences Institute – did NOT publish this information. We had nothing to do with this email or the information it contains."

And the American Cancer sociality - you I think you refer to as I cannot find a National cancer society say this about vitamin C

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/vitamin-c

"Clinical trials of high doses vitamin C as a treatment for cancer have not shown any benefit."

"But more recent studies still have not shown that supplemental vitamin C is effective in preventing or treating cancer."

"The 2000 National Academy of Sciences report stated that there is not enough evidence to support claims that taking high doses of antioxidants (such as vitamins C and E, selenium, and beta carotene) can prevent chronic diseases. Still, a 2010 study that looked at several cohort groups noticed that people who took multivitamins had a slightly lower risk of colorectal cancer, although there are several possible explanations for this apparent reduction. But in general, recent studies that have looked at cancer risk have observed that vitamin C supplements are not linked with lower risk of cancer."

Feel free to site your sources saying that lemons kill cancer cells in the human body.

TO THE OP

As stated there are reasons to fast - but cleansing the body of toxins not one of them. Your body does that fine on its own unless you have horrible disease/illness - in which case I suggest you talk to your doctor.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Phytochemicals are promoted for the prevention and treatment of many health conditions, including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure. There is some evidence that certain phytochemicals may help prevent the formation of potential carcinogens (substances that cause cancer), block the action of carcinogens on their target organs or tissue, or act on cells to suppress cancer development. Many experts suggest that people can reduce their risk of cancer significantly by eating more fruits, vegetables, and other foods from plants that contain phytochemicals. Some of the better-known phytochemicals include beta carotene and other carotenoids, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), folic acid, and vitamin E

Found the article you quoted

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/phytochemicals

nice cherry picking of lines, I've bolded the important word - and nothing in that article states that lemon juice kills cancer cells

Here is a more interesting part of the article

"Researchers have also shown much interest in phytochemical supplements. Some laboratory studies in cell cultures and animals have shown that certain phytochemicals have some activity against cancer cells or tumors. But at this time there have been no strong studies in humans showing that any phytochemical supplement can prevent or treat cancer."

just for people that might actually read and believe your nonsense about cancer.

All things in moderation is the way to a healthy body and lifestyle (disclaimer - I'm still working on that one :wink:)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Hi friends,
    I am considering doing a 24-36 hour fast. I am very excited about this. I have completed 18-20 hour fasts before. I just do not want to cross the line of having my muscles destroyed from fasting. Will a 24 hour fast be a good enough fast to help detox and give my digestive system some rest (I will be drinking water with lime and lemon) time? I just want to make sure that I am not ruining precious muscle.
    I have heard that fasting is good- within certain time constraints so your muscles do not eat up. What are your thoughts on fasting for this amount of time?

If you want to do this then it will be fine as long as you make up for the calories during the rest of the week.

However, there is no proof that fasting will have the benefits that you desire. Your body deals with any 'toxins' inside of it. As for giving you digestive system a rest, have you ever said to yourself, 'I'm going to make my heart stop beating because I think it needs a rest'? Hopefully not. This is because your heart and your digestive system are designed to work 24 hours a day until you die. In fact, if anything, giving it a rest will be more detrimental than beneficial.
  • sanvanhaaften
    Options
    Bump ! :-)
  • Sunny____
    Options
    You DID NOT find the article I quoted. What you found was an article which plazerized the American Cancer Society's site.

Second of all, you choose to believe something called "hoax" over the "National Cancer Society". And lastly if you READ your "hoax" site, the ONLY part they say is a hoax is that it kills 10,ooo times better than chemo. And that IS a Hoax.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    More food for me. Go for it.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    You DID NOT find the article I quoted. What you found was an article which plazerized the American Cancer Society's site.

Second of all, you choose to believe something called "hoax" over the "National Cancer Society". And lastly if you READ your "hoax" site, the ONLY part they say is a hoax is that it kills 10,ooo times better than chemo. And that IS a Hoax.

Here is the website for the NATIONAL CANCER SOCIETY:

It was written just two months ago too:

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/phytochemicals

What I posted:

Please note these articles ARE THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: did you even look at my link?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    plazerized

American Cancer Society

National Cancer Society

10,ooo

What is your primary language, and what method do you use to input text into the computer?

I assume the answers to these questions are not "English" and "a keyboard."
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Here is the website for the NATIONAL CANCER SOCIETY:

It was written just two months ago too:

What I posted:

Please note these articles ARE THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: Oh Sunny. tumblr_mezw3idjFE1qag66no1_500.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Ha ha ha - too late to edit your post - I have already quoted it.:laugh:
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It is probably a good idea to give your internal organs a rest once in a while by fasting.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    It is probably a good idea to give your internal organs a rest once in a while by fasting.

yeah - like your lungs, I'll just stop breathing for a few days.

You don't need to give them a rest - they are designed to work 24/7 :happy: