When is the best time to eat? Before or after the workout?

Options
panano
panano Posts: 62 Member
So in case that wasn't the clearest (I'm sure it wasn't, it's late, and I'm tired), when is the best time to eat breakfast? I usually go for my morning jog, then eat, but some are telling me I should eat an hour - an hour&a half before I work out. Is that the best way to go about it?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    For a run, eat after. If I eat before I want to throw up, or worse.
    If I have to eat before running, at least an hour before the run.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I heard you should always eat after you work out.

Personally, i'm always hungry after working out anyway!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as Meal frequency, it is more of a personal preference.. I exercise in the morning and prefer to eat before I go.. I will do a protein shake when I get back more so to help me get in the protein I have set for each day... Some people can not workout on a full stomach and prefer to do their workouts fasted. Just up to you.... Best of Luck....
  • libster1
    libster1 Posts: 10
    Options
    Depends on how far you are going, if you are going 8km or less then i would have a banana and then eat the rest of your breakfast when you get home, if you are going further than that, then eat more - ie if a long run in the weekend (1.5 to 2 hours) then eat a good breakfast and then have some protein after your run - keep up the good work
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Either - personal preference and whatever works based on energy levels.
  • shelroc1
    shelroc1 Posts: 9
    Options
    Im not sure about this myself. I been mixing it up. Sometime I workout before sometimes after. Lately I have been doing it later in the evening. Im glad you asked this question I would really like to hear some opinions as well.
  • Austintito
    Austintito Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Really depends on you, personally I prefer to workout on an empty stomach.. Some people get lightheaded if they don't eat before hand tho. If your not one of those people, id say it doesn't matter.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    so much of it is trial and error, and your own habits.

i like to train early in the morning, so i won't have anything except coffee. but the night before i'll usually have a big dinner.

when i get home, i usually shower and change, and then i have a protein fruit smoothie. it's liquid so it doesn't upset my stomach. it's full of great stuff to help replenish what i've burned and lost. and it helps prevent the OMG EAT ALL THE THINGS feeling i get a couple of hours later.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast, do IF and that works well for me..

There is some literature/studies that suggest your body is "primed" for nutrient absorption in the two hour post workout window...I always try and get majority of my cals/macros post workout...
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    After- usually if i eat too soon before, I feel nauseous.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think this is highly individual, as in whatever works for you. I can't workout without eating prior and am usually famished after a workout.
  • panano
    panano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't get light headed if I don't eat (thank goodness)...the one thing I absolutely have to do is drink 16 oz. of water before I go, otherwise I feel like I'm going to throw up. But, I'm not hungry before I work out, and I'm starving after! I guess that just works best for me!
    ...the other thing I thought about is that exercise boosts your metabolism so it seems to me it'd just be better for you to eat after a workout than before.
    Plus I tend to get a charlie horse if I eat or drink to much before a run :p
    Thank you all so much!