Confused with measurements

Options
I am extremely confused. I haven't dropped a pound in over 2 weeks, and I figured that maybe it's because I'm working out and replacing with muscle/retaining water. Unfortunately, I just measured myself, and I am somehow an inch wider in my hip, and waist. I'm not sure whether I took the measurements inaccurately the last time, but I'm trying to figure out what to do.

How do you know where to measure yourself exactly? Obviously an inch up or down, could be a matter of a totally different number, and I know they say to measure at the widest point, but what happens if you can't tell where?

Replies

• KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's best to have someone else (other than yourself) do measurements, and preferably the same person each time. What I would suggest is to go to a gym, find the personal training office and have some one do measurements for you and have them make you a copy, or find a friend you are comfortable with and have them take them for you. Online they have illustrations of how to do them, and I think youtube has video tutorials. I do my mom in laws, and I have my done at the gym. I can understand your frustration hun, but just try to keep at it. As long as you know you are doing your absolute best with eating and exercise that's all you can do! Everything else will come with time. I hope that helps!
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think I did it the last time after working out, so I was much more tense, so I might not have been relaxed.

This might sound weird, but here goes... Would it almost be best to measure while completely relaxed and your gut sticking out, or while flexed?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Here's how I do it: Hips, the biggest part. Basically where my muffin top is thickest. Waist - tiniest part of the torso, roughly bottom of ribcage. Bust - I just circle it around the band of my bra.

You may not have lost any inches or pounds but may feel your clothes fitting differently. It's weird, I know, but that's what I'm experiencing lately. Just keep up the good work and know that you are improving!
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    When I'm retaining water, like for TOM, I always see inch gains. It goes back down when I drop the water.

Edited to add: I measure every week, but my "official" numbers are once a month. I find measuring weekly gives me an idea of whether I am measuring in the same spots. If the numbers don't change dramatically, then I'm more or less measuring in the right spots. Weekly also let's me see patterns like gaining girth during my TOM. I calculate change once a month though.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My trainer always takes my measurements before our sessions, never after. He said your muscles are a different size then they really are after a work out. It's best to be relaxed when taking them, but not overly exaggerated because then again that would alter your results.