Freestyle Cardio

Options
LauRoxx
LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
So after coming off of almost a whole year without working out I just came back this week watching my food intake and being active. I've started doing a pilates based mini-routine with one of my friends to start getting my strength back up but now I am DYING to get back into some heavy cardio. It was at this point that I realized I LOST my turbofire dvds (oh the horror!!!!) :(:(:(

Anyways, now I am forced to find other ways to start doing cardio. I hate running, dislike machines like ellipticals because they become too easy with minimal results, and my schedule doesn't line up with any group fitness classes locally.

Does anyone have some fun freestyle cardio suggestions?

Replies

• miclmiller
    miclmiller Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try dancing/dance class, if you have cable and On Demand they have a fitness section. I know you said you hated machines but you can do HIIT on the eliptical by increasing and decreasing the resistance. I've done than and I pour sweat and get a major cardio workout in 20 minutes.
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've looked into some local dance classes and quite frankly can't afford the one or two that fit into my schedule. I've also done lots of interval variations on the elliptical which aren't bad, it's just that since it's such a controlled movement I need other forms of cardio to mix in on different days or I don't get results. And I have the worst cable ever without any fitness networks :(
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Try looking at videos online. When I need something new, sometimes I'll follow others doing Insanity (or 30 DS) all free on youtube.
    Worth a try! ex http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGMFr4ewJ6U
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    So after coming off of almost a whole year without working out I just came back this week watching my food intake and being active. I've started doing a pilates based mini-routine with one of my friends to start getting my strength back up but now I am DYING to get back into some heavy cardio. It was at this point that I realized I LOST my turbofire dvds (oh the horror!!!!) :(:(:(

Anyways, now I am forced to find other ways to start doing cardio. I hate running, dislike machines like ellipticals because they become too easy with minimal results, and my schedule doesn't line up with any group fitness classes locally.

Does anyone have some fun freestyle cardio suggestions?
    Jump rope, calisthenics, agility ladder work, etc. There are endless options if you have a creative mind.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kmtwedell
    kmtwedell Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just recently ran into the same problem, and a friend recommended BeFit 90 on youtube, it has cardio, strength training and stretches and they range from all kinds of time lengths which works great for my schedule. Hope this is helpful. There is also a group on here that is doing it together as well to help keep each other motivated you could say. Anyways hope that this is helpful.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics.. i love them..do them often! Also.. old school videos.. like tae-bo and stuff.. or get a salsa video.. Can also do step aerobics using the steps in your house.. well.. all but the straddle moves, of course.. or pile up big heavy books on the ground and use those..

Also there's a lot of you tube.

if you want weights get resistance bands or use heavy cans.