What causes you to fall off the wagon?

Options
I have been doing so well.Finished my round of insanity,got back into pre baby clothes.I'm taking a break from insanity right now and restarting in a week .Yet I find that if I don't work out regularly(like now) I tend to eat badly.Is that just me?Is anyone else like that?What makes you forgo the healthy choice and eat badly?I've also been a bit sleep deprived and I find that doesn't help either.

So I'm going to get my butt in gear again.Even rest days are hard cos I feel like that's when I eat more as well.I don't want to lose my gains.

Does this happen to you?

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hi Rose,

I totally relate to the exercise part of that. In the past I always ate better when I had a regular exercise routine, which is another reason why I joined the gym in January, because I was getting the eating part under control, for me they go hand in hand. Why would I waste my workout by eating poorly!

At the moment I am really focused on my goal to get back to a size 10, so I haven't fallen off the wagon, and don't plan on it. I haven't forbidden anything from my diet either... So perhaps that is the secret for me. If I want a glass of wine, I'll work it in to my daily calories, and then I don't feel like I've done anything "wrong". This really is a lifestyle change for me. And I choose not to eat a family block of Cadburys any more.

Things that. Cause me to binge are sugary type foods, but I have limited these, and make sure I eat protein and fibrous foods, drink water, so I'm not hungry and not likely to go searching for a sugar fix. It's like a spiral INTO control! But, if I do lose sight of my goals, I know it's as easy as refocusing, and a bit of JFDI action.

BTW, you have lost a stack of weight since joining and congrats on getting back into pre-baby clothes so quickly. Well done. .
  • wondermaggie
    wondermaggie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also eat poorly when I'm not exercising. It's like all or nothing with me. It's a terrible mind set! What I'm learning is that everyday is an opportunity for improvement in some fashion. So, if I'm taking a break from exercise for a day or so, as I did yesterday, I am making a HUGE effort to stick to my "diet." I am finally trying to adopt the whole "this is not a diet but a lifestyle change" attitude. I am more successful that way. It's so hard. Everyday proves to be a new challenge but it is one that I am finally up for. For me, my motivation comes from circumstances in my life. My mom had a stroke 3 years ago. She is in very poor health and has been for at least 12 years because she simply gave up and stopped taking care of herself. Her diet is ridiculous. She lives on pop tarts and yogurt mostly. Everytime I go to make an unhealthy eating choice, I remind myself that I am securing a better future for me and my daughter then my mom did for herself. Life is so much more than over indulging in junky food. Remind yourself how terrible you feel both mentally and physically when you eat junk and how amazing you feel when you eat food that fuels your body properly. Don't wait until you're 37 like me. It's so much harder then. Change it now and make it a lifestyle. You are doing so great! Insanity is crazy hard, and you did it! If you did that, you can do anything!
  • traccie2
    traccie2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think part of the journey is to allow ourselves to be human and accept ourselves and forgive ourselves when we falter, pick it up and start over. Although I myself have a very difficult time with that.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    thinking there is a wagon instead of my own body carrying me. my body is my spirits best friend. i dont neglect her or think of her as a former problem im recovering from.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Stress and sleep deprived are my two big triggers. If something is in front of me and my stomach is front of me, I will eat it heatlhy or not. Christmas was a good example of this. I just recently got back on.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Not getting groceries on time, my daughters eating habits (I don't like make two different meals for a two person household, but here dad doesn't give her the best diet since it's almost completely take out food), not sleeping turning into not doing what I need to and looking for quick meals, TOM, high stress situations. Lots of reasons, but I try my best to stay on track.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    For me the triggers would be a lack of proper food in the house and most definitely peer pressure. If I'm out and I kept getting offered unhealthy food, it's verrrry difficult to resist. If you eat bad once in a while, it's really not a big deal, just keep on truckin'.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Holidays, and even just eating the junk food, I can never just stop at one. Oh yeah lack of proper food in the house is a big one!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting back into pre-baby clothes!!! I think that is every mother's dream, and you should be crazy proud of yourself! I also find that my food choices are often dictated by my activity level, although, I'm pregnant right now, so hormones throw everything off a little. But, I do notice I make better choices, my body *craves* better choices when I'm excercising regularly… although, cookies are my weakness, and I have no idea yet what triggers the cookie monster in me. I'll be fine for days or weeks, and then all of a sudden, I have this stupid, enormous craving for cookies. So I buy some, thinking that maybe having a couple will sate the desire, and before I know it, nearly the whole package is gone! Especially if they happen to be the mint milanos.

Something else I notice- when I work out regularly, my appetite is normal, but when my excercise routine becomes sporadic, I find that the day after I work out, I eat like a beast. Strange...
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have a rubbish day around TOM , this month I ate twice as many cals as my goal-junked right out! i NEVER go bananas on, well, bananas or celery. NOT ONCE have a craved a carrot, if I'm overdoing something it's crisps and/or chocolate and usually TOM or stress (people sort-not major sort as that's the only time I lose my appetite) This time around I am trying not to ban any food, just mind my cals and get more exercise, the weight may not be flying off but it is going and if I don't feel too much like I'm "on a diet" then I don't hate myself quite so much for being "bad". I'm trying to get it into my head that stable is ok too- in the past I either diet (super strict) or overeat (lots) neither being terribly helpful I feel.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!You have all mentioned certain circumstances that would make anyone be tempted to deviate from their healthy path.I don't feel quite as bad now.It's good to know that it's not just me.I felt like such a failure for letting myself down like that.Thanks for all your words.It helps.

I will strive to do better.Thank you ladies!!Keep up your good work and Good luck on all you weight loss/fitness journey :smile:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    thinking there is a wagon instead of my own body carrying me. my body is my spirits best friend. i dont neglect her or think of her as a former problem im recovering from.

I like this. I'm going to start using this!!!
  • Lauren2H
    Lauren2H Posts: 33 Member
    Options

:heart: this
  • workinprogress007
    workinprogress007 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My biggest cause to fall off the wagon...LIFE, sometimes it just happens, and I have to gather the courage and self discipline to get back on, not always easy and sometimes takes a little while, but worth sticking to it. I'm trying the mantra this year of "slow and steady" to get to the goal.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Stress.
    Anger.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Beer in front of the TV after a crap day. 1 beer leads to 2, leads to .......... Then I will add some crisps for a change, followed by chocolate, cheese, crackers, ice cream......... If I resist the beer, or try wine or whisky I am usually OK..... Go figure!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Stress. Namely in the form of my baby's momma.
  • traccie2
    traccie2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As I read all of the replies here, I realize that I have been way to hard on myself. It's so refreshing to see other people being human and admitting weeknesses. You all have really helped me get my head screwed back on straight, thank you!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When it gets warm enough outside to sit on a rooftop patio at a bar and sip on margaritas, which turns into 4 or 5 margaritas, which leads to a hangover at work, which leads to a nap on the couch instead of a workout, then an unhealthy dinner which is followed by ice cream. Then those type of days become more common and the healthy days become less and before you know it the holidays and eating and parties are here and then you realize you haven't logged on to MFP in 3 months and you have to start all over in January. (Not that that has ever happened to anyone I know)
  • sweetie3533
    Options
    Chardonnay!