Results of lifting heavy, but not actually lifting?

Options
Currently, I workout early morning (4am) at home using exercise videos (Jillian Michaels, blogilates, fitness blender). Alternating between cardio/abs and weight training/arms (using 5lb dumbbells).
I'm trying to lose that last 10 pounds for almost half a yr. I'm still big as a whole, and jiggly. My goal is to have a toned body and be stronger! I know lifting heavy gives great results, as evidenced by the wonderful people here in MFP. But I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to achieve those results without going to the gym?
I like working out in the am, but the nearest gym opens at 8 am, and I have to go to work by 6. Exercising at night makes me hyper and I don't sleep well. So any inputs would be great.
Thank you! ^^,

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Go at night. After about 2 weeks your body will get use to it and you'll sleep fine.
  • 2myfuture
    2myfuture Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am currently doine the Chalean Extreme videos and I love it. I have not lost a whole lot but it says you wont at first. I am just starting month two and really seeing muscles and tone. Loving the results so far!
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go to the gym purchase some free weights. "Toning" is kinda a misnomer. You tone the muscles in your body by working them so contantly using 5 pound weights won't be effective after a point. I go to the gym at 1 in the morning, before I go to sleep at night. It works for me, but I can see how that doesn't work for everyone.

Good luck on your journey! I'm sure you will find what works for you.
  • bear_28
    bear_28 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've heard about Chalean Xtreme. Would you need some sort of equipment for this? Congratulations on your success! ^^,
  • bear_28
    Options
    If you don't want to go to the gym purchase some free weights. "Toning" is kinda a misnomer. You tone the muscles in your body by working them so contantly using 5 pound weights won't be effective after a point. I go to the gym at 1 in the morning, before I go to sleep at night. It works for me, but I can see how that doesn't work for everyone.

Uhm, sorry, I had to clarify. When you say free weights, is it those dumbbells with various weight range? Or the barbells with plates? Thanks so much! ^^,
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    For Chalean Extreme, you need to have a good set of weights at home, not light ones either. I bought the Bowflex Selecttech weights when I did that program years ago before joining a gym.

If you don't want to buy anything, you could do body weight exercises such as push-ups, chair dips, pull-ups, lunges, etc.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've done Supreme 90 day.... Great program using handwts and only $20. I lost an inch/month off places and got nice muscles from it.

I tried Chalean Extreme next but it wasn't for me. I returned it. I know people have had good results.

I'm 10 days in on Les Mills Body Pump and I'm loving it. It's working with barbell and the best part is it comes with the barbell and weights.

There's a lot of options. You just need to find the program that fits you best.
  • bear_28
    Options
    Oooh, so many workout programs to choose from. :happy:

I like working out at home in the am because I know its something that I can consistently do. I'm challenging myself to achieve the results I want. So, I've braved it and decided to try Insanity. I hard such great results from it. I'm committing myself to the 90day challenge. Its still the same routine, but doing it a notch higher (way, way higher).LOL Once I figure something out with my schedule (or there's a gym that opens up earlier), I'll still try lifting heavy. It makes me feel like I'm channeling Wonderwoman or something. LOL.

Thanks to everyone for replying! Hopefully, I'll get to try other programs you've recommended. :wink:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    P90x would also be an option. While it's not a typical heavy lifting program. It will give you the results you want.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Uhm, sorry, I had to clarify. When you say free weights, is it those dumbbells with various weight range? Or the barbells with plates? Thanks so much! ^^,

Free weights really refers to both but in this case I think they were referring to dumbbells. Dumbbells would be a good start if you want to just get in cheap. But barbells and plates would be better in the long run.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You're going to be hard pressed to do heavy lifting with out a gym because at a certain point you're going to need to lift more than your body weight. That being said my best recommendations would be:

Convict COnditioning

You Are Your Own Gym
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You can get great results from body weight work outs. and the only thing you'd need to buy is a pull up bar. check out the Iron Gym one. just put it together, and fits in any door frame and is removable.

also, a jump rope.

try this bw routine: 5 rounds of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 body weight squats. go for time. or do the same routine, as many reps as possible, in 20 minutes.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You are your own gym app is brilliant.