Joint Pain

Options
Hello all. I am hoping for some suggestions about slight knee joint pain. I have had the problem since high school. Doctors took X-Rays, said it was inflammed tissue. I could go through surgery but it would be just as bad in a few years time... I opted out of the surgery. I know loads of people who, years ago, had the surgery and true to what my Doc told me at the time, their knees are just as bad now. Anyway, as started working out more, using Eliptical and Stairclimbers as opposed to treadmills or running outside to avoid the impact, as well as trained my Quads, my knees have been relatively pain free for the last few years. I have started a C25K program, hoping that by easing into I would be able to avoid any major inflammation issues. I am on week two of the C25K and am just starting to feel a bit of the old pin pricks in my left knee (it was always worse than the right). I would like to try and nip it before it gets too bad, and would prefer to do it without loads of Ibuprofen. I am just wondering about heat and ice, what order, how long, etc. Anybody have an idea? Thanks!

Replies

• LycraLegs
    LycraLegs Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about wearing a good knee support? The compression boosts circulation and for me, eases pain.
    Ice is to reduce swelling, after it has become inflamed and or injured. The RICE principal: REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, ELEVATION.

Rest: Stop using the injured body part immediately. If you feel pain when you move, this is your body sending a signal to decrease mobility of the injured area.
    Ice: Apply an ice pack to the injured area, using a towel or cover to protect your skin from frostbite. The more conforming the ice pack the better, in order for the injury to receive maximum exposure to the treatment.
    Compression: Use a pressure bandage or wrap over the ice pack to help reduce swelling. Never tighten the bandage or wrap to the point of cutting off blood flow. You should not feel pain or a tingly sensation while using compression.
    Elevation: Raise or prop up the injured area so that it rests above the level of your heart.

Now, the heatpacks, to my understandind this is just to ease discomfort, and should not be used if your pain derives from swelling. I am not a doctor but I did work for a sports support/ medical company!

Hope that helps!

Cher
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Have you thought about wearing a good knee support?

Thank you so much for your response. And yes, I wear supports on both knees even when I don't have pain just for the extra support whenever I do any sports. Thanks again!
  • cpatt
    cpatt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Having had 4 knee surgeries in the past from old gymnastics injuries, I can totally relate. The major thing that you want to do is really strengthen all of the muscles around the knee. Lots of lunges and squats (be very careful tro keep your knees behind your toes, puting your weight on your heals), as well as standing front, back and side leg lifts and kicks will help. The more you strengthen those muscles, the more they will protect the ligaments in your knees. I hope this helps :)
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I don't have much advice on the icing and heat, but if you talk to your doctor you might be able to get a good prescription anti-inflammatory that doesn't come with all of the problems of prolonged use of ibuprofen. I have fibromyalgia and knee injury issues and my rheumatologist has me on Nabumatone (it's generic for something, but I don't know the brand). I really only take it as needed, but she specifically gave it to me because it's better for your stomach and for prolonged use.

I do agree with strengthening the muscles around your knee. I feel like it's really helped with my knee weakness. I do elliptical, swimming, and weight training (only light weight for anything that puts pressure on my knee).

I hope you feel better.