Spinning class question...

I was given a stationary bike and I'm trying to set it up properly, just wondering why the seats are so high in spinning class? I've noticed the seats are usually as high as the handle bars. Is there a benefit to having the seat up as high as that?

Thanks!

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    bump? :brokenheart:
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    To get a full extension on your legs - you should have a slight bend only. Also to engage your core muscles. You can't lean on the handle bars the same way when the seat is set properly.

I'm not an expert but this is what I was told in class when I asked the same question.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    You have to adjust the seat to your settings...By placing them high or even low, it forces you to change according to your height / where your hip is. Also, some gyms store their bikes all with the seats up all the way (supposedly a preventive measure).
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    The instructor in my spin class has told us that our set should be level to you hip bone when you stand next to the bike.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    The seat is suppose to reach your hip bone so you get full extension of your legs.

The handle bars are to comfort. The more advanced you are, the lower your handles go. I'm advanced, so mine match the level of the seat. If this hurts your back, you bring them up. The stronger your core gets, the lower you can put the handle bars.

If you put your elbow to the front of the seat, your finger tips should touch the handle bars and that is how far the seat should be from the bars.

I've been spinning consistently for 3 1/2 years (before, on and off for about 8). I'm going to get certified as an instructor in the next few months. Any questions, let me know.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Thanks guys!

Embarassingly, I've been doing this...

ApeHangers.jpg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Having saddle too low is the most common mistake people make, legs should go almost straight. Very bent legs make it hard to use your muscles efficiently and can hurt your knees.

Have a read of this if you want to know more about set up - http://www.spinning.com/media/spinning_news_for_spinning_enthusiasts//2013-2-1.html

Handlebar height isn't really a big issue with a stationary bike so set for comfort (sitting and standing). The reason outdoor cyclists have low bars is for aerodynamics and therefore speed.
  • Julieann777
    Julieann777 Posts: 13 Member
    My husband and I have a spinner and also outdoor bikes. It depends on how long your legs are and personal preference, but your seat should NEVER be so high that you are completely straightening your legs to the point where your knees lock out. There should always be at least a little bend in your knees.