Uh oh, Now I've Done it!

Options
So I signed up for a marathon today! A MARATHON!!!! I'm scared and excited all at the same time. I have about 7 months to train and I'm going to start right after my 5k next week. The 5k is my first race ever so I have a long way to go to run a marathon. My main goal is to finish, but lets be real... I want to have a decent beginner time too.

I will have my first child born early April/Late March so there will be plenty to keep me away from training, but I"m going to stick to it.
Any advice on training, cross training, which plans are good for beginners, and preferably free?

Also, I'm not sure what to do about my diet. I've been sticking to a pretty low carb diet and I haven't had any trouble with running, but I have a feeling that won't sustain me during marathon training. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have run a lot of 5k races and have a 10k coming up March 30. Not a great runner so probably don't have great advice, but I wanted to congratulate you on making the goal and committing to this. It will be super rewarding!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you want to hear this but why didn't you try the half marathon first?
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I am using the C25k app to try and build me up to 5k runs! And who knows, I might be in your shoes soon and signing up to a run like that! :flowerforyou:
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have run a lot of 5k races and have a 10k coming up March 30. Not a great runner so probably don't have great advice, but I wanted to congratulate you on making the goal and committing to this. It will be super rewarding!

Thanks! I know just getting out there and finishing will be awesome.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Thanks! I know just getting out there and finishing will be awesome.

It will be! My first ever run was a 10k. Did I bite off more than I could chew? It certainly felt that way while I was doing it but crossing that finish line, regardless of my time, was the single proudest moment of my weight loss journey. Enjoy the process and definitely enjoy the race!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What is the furthest run you have ever gone on?

Going from your 1st 5K to a marathon in 7 mos is a lot to ask for, without knowing your background.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    I'm not sure you want to hear this but why didn't you try the half marathon first?

A couple reasons really. From what I've read so far.... you only need around 6 months to train for one from scratch (again, training to finish), And I want to do it before I turn 30. Which is the weekend after the race. It is a good reasonable goal and trying to do a half in the middle of it will prolong my training and I do well with solid goals. To do a marathon before I'm 30 is on my "bucket" list, though it isn't really a "bucket" list, just a list of things I want to do with some sort of time frame attached so I don't the last few years trying to squeeze everything in :-). Otherwise, I would do a half first.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    What is the furthest run you have ever gone on?

Going from your 1st 5K to a marathon in 7 mos is a lot to ask for, without knowing your background.

The longest is around 5 miles at a slow easy pace. The 5k is just my first race, not my first time running that distance. Though I did just start running in Jan.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    "Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. There is no step 2." - Barney Stinson

Seriously though, I think its awesome that you set a big goal for yourself. There were many things I wanted to do before I turned thirty, and didn't manage any of them. So, I hope your training goes well, and you kick this marathon's butt!
  • dobenjam
    Options
    "Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. There is no step 2." - Barney Stinson

Seriously though, I think its awesome that you set a big goal for yourself. There were many things I wanted to do before I turned thirty, and didn't manage any of them. So, I hope your training goes well, and you kick this marathon's butt!

Thanks, I plan on it. There are a ton of options on how to train and I think a long goal like this will help keep me on track, Just not sure where to start. If I have to walk half of it, I"m going to finish, but I'd prefer to run most/all of it.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    There are loads of running plans out there. Pick one, don't fudge the long runs and listen to your body, and have fun!

I'm a big fan of Jeff Galloway's run/walk approach. For long races I often did 5 minute run/ 1 minute walk from beginning to end. If it is really hot, I'd shorten the run time a little. You can play around with it in training. Some people do 10/1 or whatever. The walk break was a a revelation for me.
    Here is the Galloway site:
    http://jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

I also like Hal Higdon a lot. He has a variety of training plans as well.
    http://halhigdon.com/

Good luck!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Congratulations on starting to run and setting quite an ambitious goal! It will certainly keep you focused. I have yet to run longer than a 10k but will definitely sign up for a half-marathon this year. I'm a big fan of Hal Higdon's programs and alot of people like Jeff Galloway. It will certainly give you an idea of where you are!

Best of Luck:)
  • dobenjam
    Options
    There are loads of running plans out there. Pick one, don't fudge the long runs and listen to your body, and have fun!

I'm a big fan of Jeff Galloway's run/walk approach. For long races I often did 5 minute run/ 1 minute walk from beginning to end. If it is really hot, I'd shorten the run time a little. You can play around with it in training. Some people do 10/1 or whatever. The walk break was a a revelation for me.
    Here is the Galloway site:
    http://jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

I also like Hal Higdon a lot. He has a variety of training plans as well.
    http://halhigdon.com/

Good luck!

Thanks! Both look like great programs.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sounds like plenty of time to be ready for a full. Be forewarned though, the "wall" sure does hit you hard. And follow what others have said about Jeff Galloway / Hal Higdon for finishing.

I'd advise you to make sure you're getting after it as much as you can. I felt like my last marathon didn't go as well as I had hoped because I wasn't logging enough miles leading up to it.

Eat more carbs, and make sure to rest up properly (I'm not sure that will be easy with a newborn though :laugh: )

And I know I don't have much weight in this issue and I may be overstepping my bounds, but make sure you're there for you kid and wife first. They'll need you more than you need a marathon finish.

Best of luck!
  • dobenjam
    Options
    Sounds like plenty of time to be ready for a full. Be forewarned though, the "wall" sure does hit you hard. And follow what others have said about Jeff Galloway / Hal Higdon for finishing.

I'd advise you to make sure you're getting after it as much as you can. I felt like my last marathon didn't go as well as I had hoped because I wasn't logging enough miles leading up to it.

Eat more carbs, and make sure to rest up properly (I'm not sure that will be easy with a newborn though :laugh: )

And I know I don't have much weight in this issue and I may be overstepping my bounds, but make sure you're there for you kid and wife first. They'll need you more than you need a marathon finish.

Best of luck!

I plan on hitting it pretty hard, but paying attention to my shins since I get shinsplints pretty easily.

I agree, my #1 priority is my wife and son, and I actually plan on doing quite a bit of running with him when it gets warmer. I've already signed up for a "Run with Dad 5k" which is stroller friendly. I obviously won't go on long runs with him until he is bigger, but I think it will make for good bonding time.
  • cmartin709
    Options
    I went from zero running to full marathon in seven months last year (March to October) so it can be done! I used the Hal Higdon novice plan which was great since you get a half marathon about halfway through your training, which for me really got my confidence up about doing the full. He also has a 30-week program that you would definitely have enough time for that's pretty much designed for what you're doing (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51143/Marathon-Novice-Supreme-Training-Program).

I would suggest joining a training group or finding someone to run with. Running for 3-4 hours by yourself gets a little lonely for me anyway. I don't think I could've done it without my fiance holding me accountable every Saturday. Good luck! Crossing the finish line will be such an awesome feeling!
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    Why did you lower your carb intake? Do you know that carbs are your MAIN source of energy. Without the proper amount of carbs, your going to be gassing out faster. You should be having an ample amount of carbs so you can handle the run properly. Gatorade and a healthy bagel before your workout is a great idea. You won't be as fatigued.

The PT instructor at the gym I go too is conducting a challenge called a body metamorph challenge, Everyone, all shapes and sizes are to have carbs, and so far, EVERYONE is losing the body fat and putting on some muscle. She is very informative and says that when you push hard, YOU NEED CARBS... so maybe changing the types of carbs to healthier carbs and you will see positive results...

and good luck brother! the mind is where it is all at. If you believe, you will achieve!
  • dobenjam
    Options
    Why did you lower your carb intake? Do you know that carbs are your MAIN source of energy. Without the proper amount of carbs, your going to be gassing out faster. You should be having an ample amount of carbs so you can handle the run properly. Gatorade and a healthy bagel before your workout is a great idea. You won't be as fatigued.

The PT instructor at the gym I go too is conducting a challenge called a body metamorph challenge, Everyone, all shapes and sizes are to have carbs, and so far, EVERYONE is losing the body fat and putting on some muscle. She is very informative and says that when you push hard, YOU NEED CARBS... so maybe changing the types of carbs to healthier carbs and you will see positive results...

and good luck brother! the mind is where it is all at. If you believe, you will achieve!

Main reason for lowering carbs is diabetes. I was on the edge of being diabetic for a while and I had to make a change. I honestly don't miss them and I haven't felt like I was lacking any energy while running. But I also haven't been running very long distances. I plan to upgrade my carb intake and keep it complex carbs, but I'm going to wait until after my next A1c test before I make that change. As of now I eat around 100 carbs a day (depending on how much I exercise) and they are all good carbs for the most part (fruit, whole grain, etc). Once my test comes back normal next month, I'll in corporate more carbs into my diet.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    I went from zero running to full marathon in seven months last year (March to October) so it can be done! I used the Hal Higdon novice plan which was great since you get a half marathon about halfway through your training, which for me really got my confidence up about doing the full. He also has a 30-week program that you would definitely have enough time for that's pretty much designed for what you're doing (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51143/Marathon-Novice-Supreme-Training-Program).

I would suggest joining a training group or finding someone to run with. Running for 3-4 hours by yourself gets a little lonely for me anyway. I don't think I could've done it without my fiance holding me accountable every Saturday. Good luck! Crossing the finish line will be such an awesome feeling!

That is exactly what I need to hear!!! I have been looking for a running buddy but haven't had any luck yet, but I'll look into a group. My wife is 8 months pregnant so she wont be joining me for a while :-).
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So many exciting things going on! :)