*Daily Whine* Do I HAVE to Cardio?

Options

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You don't "Have" to do anything. No gun being held to your head.

Do what you enjoy, otherwise any kind of activity will start to become a loathesome chore.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    When you say you don't like doing cardio, what exactly do you mean?

Do you hate running on the dreadmill for 30 minutes? Lace up your shoes and go outside then.

Hate the elliptical? Don't do it.

Hate the stationary bike? Buy a trail bike and get outside.

Most of us hate the machines. They're dull and boring. I thoroughly enjoy running, but only outside (regardless of the weather). I could never plug along on a treadmill for 30 minutes.

There's so many different *types* of cardio. Look into classes at your gym. Try a few out, find something you enjoy, and stick with it.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Find some cardio you enjoy. I can't stand cardio machines to I get out in the fresh air to hike, bike, kayak, etc.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options

I know, I know. You are all right. A healthy heart and all that stuff is equally important. I just hate doing it.

I'd keep looking until you find something. Doesn't have to be gym based or terribly long in duration. Dancing? Jazzercize? Throw a Frisbee with your dog and chase after him. Be creative...the list is endless. Fun and effective are the keys. You are also welcome to come to my house and haul and stack wood...though I grant you it's lacking in the fun department!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    do gpp work instead of traditional cardio

barbell complexes
    weighted carries / farmers walks
    hill sprints
    sled pulls
    kettlebell swings

but no you don't HAVE to do any of that to lose weight.

This. All of this. I really wish we could put to rest once and for all the notion that "cardio" means ONLY running or cycling or some other steady-state work.

Besides, if you are not getting a good cardiovascular challenge from lifting, you are not lifting heavy enough.
  • lindseymaekeller
    Options
    I think cardio is waaaay overdone by most people. Unless you're training for some kind of endurance event, there's really no reason to do cardio 5-6 times a week. That said, your heart is the most important muscle in your body so yes, cardio should be part of one's fitness regime.

Personally I lift 4-5x days a week and do cardio 1-2x a week.

Second this!!!
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I know, I know. You are all right. A healthy heart and all that stuff is equally important. I just hate doing it.

I'd keep looking until you find something. Doesn't have to be gym based or terribly long in duration. Dancing? Jazzercize? Throw a Frisbee with your dog and chase after him. Be creative...the list is endless. Fun and effective are the keys. You are also welcome to come to my house and haul and stack wood...though I grant you it's lacking in the fun department!

Ha to the wood! My bf makes me haul wood at the cottage - I'm out of breath 10 feet in. Who knew that was such hard cardio??
  • benny150592
    benny150592 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, just doing weights will burn plenty of calories by itself - but doing 20-30 minutes 1-2 times a week would help you feel less out of breath, especially as you start to lose the weight.

You could start doing a sport, something light such as tennis or badminton that would improve your cardio while you have fun - or join some exercise classes that could provide variation instead of just running/cycling/rowing in place!
  • lindseymaekeller
    Options
    Hearts are necessary for life. Take care of yours. If you're getting out of breath very easily... well...

Cardio also improves and increases your vasculature, increases mitochondria, lots of good stuff.

Some folks like to avoid cardio because they believe they will lose muscle mass and strength. That is a choice to make, make it yours. But if you are demonstrating the signs of less than optimal cardiovascular health, perhaps you should train to improve it.

Just do a spin class once a week. It forces you to do the whole hour and get it in. Plus...I had horrible breathing issues before I started it. Exercise induced asthma, etc etc... It has gotten SOOOO much better by doing consistent spin.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I am considering elliptical and treadmill type exercises to be pure cardio. I know I get some cardio when I strength train, but I think I should be doing more cardio work.

it all depends on what you want personally for your health. I think if you love weight training, stick with that - but incorporate 1 or 2 vigorous cardio work outs a week also such as 30 min on the elliptical, an hour of zumba or maybe 30 min of slow jogging. Something for your heart.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    i don't do cardio often
    we have a 2nd floor in our house (the bedrooms). I am very forgetful and seem so spend the day going up and down those stairs to do this or that . That's enough cardio for me, In the summer. I ride my bike.
  • ZHawk1123
    ZHawk1123 Posts: 215
    Options
    You don't have to... But you'll benefit more from a balanced workout of cardio and strength training.
  • av8artist
    av8artist Posts: 46
    Options
    When I was really into weight lifting, I skipped cardio. My doctor basiically told me that I could be the strongest manin the room but still die of a heart attack while climbing stairs.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try a 'cardio' based class?? Much for fun than the treadmill :smile:

Body Step, Body Combat & Body Attack are all good for cardio
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    My cardio is terrible and i get out of breath so easily.

When you say this do you mean you get out of breath easily when doing normal day to day tasks which require a bit of exertion or specifically when you are using cardio machines on which you are untrained?

If you lift weights with sufficient intensity it will be good for your heart as well but your CV ability will add balance to overall fitness.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Besides, if you are not getting a good cardiovascular challenge from lifting, you are not lifting heavy enough.

i do not lift heavy. I use 30# with squats, for example, but even doing 3-4 sets of those gets my heart pumping.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    Maybe I am the crazy one, but my HRM says that my heart rate is about the same when I do cardio as when I do strength training. If I am really hitting it hard on weights, then according to the HRM, I am burning just as many calories as I do with an hour on the elliptical. Do you notice your heart rate increasing when you are doing weights?
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Not sure what I hope to achieve by doing more cardio other than weight loss. But cardio seems to be touted as part of a balanced health and weight loss program.

Do your cardio outdoors or in a pool and you might surprise yourself as to how much fun cycling,swimming,walking or running can be..especially now the weather is improving.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My cardio is terrible and i get out of breath so easily.

When you say this do you mean you get out of breath easily when doing normal day to day tasks which require a bit of exertion or specifically when you are using cardio machines on which you are untrained?

If you lift weights with sufficient intensity it will be good for your heart as well but your CV ability will add balance to overall fitness.

This.

I'm out of breath when I come back from a run, and consider that normal. I used to get out of breath carrying laundry upstairs, and that's not normal. :laugh:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    When you say you don't like doing cardio, what exactly do you mean?

Do you hate running on the dreadmill for 30 minutes? Lace up your shoes and go outside then.

Hate the elliptical? Don't do it.

Hate the stationary bike? Buy a trail bike and get outside.

Most of us hate the machines. They're dull and boring. I thoroughly enjoy running, but only outside (regardless of the weather). I could never plug along on a treadmill for 30 minutes.

There's so many different *types* of cardio. Look into classes at your gym. Try a few out, find something you enjoy, and stick with it.

^^ This. Find something you enjoy. No, it's not strictly necessary for looking good, but it will help your heart.