Hello (Please Read)

Not only do I have trouble sticking to a goal, but I also have a problem starting it. I am so lazy, fat, and down I do not want to do anything! I wish I had a workout buddy by me in Winston Salem North Carolina, but I do not. Is anyone else going through the same issue???

Holly..........

Replies

• monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Yes, there are lots of people with the same issue.

If i could make a suggestion, please stop with the negative self talk. That doesn't help anyone, particularly not yourself.
  • OBXbound4me
    OBXbound4me Posts: 245 Member
    I have the same issues. Been fighting them for years. We are close (I am in Clayton), but not close enough to workout. I can help give you encouragement if you like. Feel free to add me. Have a great day!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    You have to want it. It is not easy.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Would you tell a six year old girl she was fat and lazy? Be gentle with yourself, gentle with the words you say to yourself – speak to yourself as you would your six year old self. Be compassionate, supportive, loving and encouraging because you deserve that, most of all from yourself.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    I felt the same way when I got started two months ago. Even now I started to watch the 30 Day Shred video on utube and just watching was intimidated.

It takes about a month to make something a routine so start by setting small achievable goals such as cutting back how much pop you drink, exercising for 15 minutes, packing healthier snacks for work and before you know it those will become second nature and then you can add to those goals. I would feel like I was going to die on the treadmill for 15 minutes and now I can do an hour and a half and sometimes two hours!!!! Who would have thought? I was a diet pop addict :) and now I have almost weaned myself completely off of it. I NEVER drank water and now I'm drinking 12+ cups a day!!! I have lost 20 pounds and I feel great. You can do this, just take the first small steps!!!!
  • fitmelinda7
    fitmelinda7 Posts: 42 Member
    Oooh, I've been there myself. I came out of that frame of mind gradually. I found that when I am real hard on myself I will be more self destructive (like eating worse, feeling more hopeless, etc.). I don't have any great advice. I can definitely identify with you because I have done the very same thing. I believe it will pass, be proud of the SMALL victories....it will lead you to larger ones! Best wishes!
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    I have found relieve by changing how I talk to myself & setting small goals I could build on.

Go for a 5 min walk everyday this week.

Every day this week drive to the gym (or where ever it is you like to exercise). You don't have to go in (you can if you want). But make sure you go there.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    A goal is one thing. . .but a plan to reach that goal is entirely another. I find it easier to stick to a plan than just aimlessly trying to achieve a goal. I have a goal of running a certain distance in a certain amount of time. . .if I don't study running & training, create a plan, and then daily work to execute the plan my likelihood of success at running as fast as I want is between slim and none.

So, my advice: Look at your goal. . .if it's a big one, break it into a few smaller benchmarks. Then study methods others have used to achieve similar goals. Use those methods (adapted for your particular circumstances) and make a plan. I have a DETAILED monthly plan that shows me what workout(s) I'm doing on a particular day. I already know WHY those workouts are included in my plan, and why they are on a particular day. I also know which workouts are non-negotiable and which ones I can either cut out or cut back on if I'm fatigued or life gets crazy that day.

It's a lot of work. But I find having a day by day plan motivating. And, it always freaks people out when I show them my 5 month plans!! LOL

Good luck. As you start having success, you'll feel a confidence boost!!
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    I joined big sky in simsbury ct, and I now have more workout friends then I even wanted..
    Join a gym, go to the classes, you will make friends.. It is all like minded people just trying to get
    better every day.. Wake up in the morning and say how can I improve.
    I am on this site because someone at the gym told me about it.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    I totally agree with setting small goals will help you gain confidence and inspire you to create more. Two weeks ago I started running again after a 3 month hiatus. I had gained 20 pounds and lost all energy. I was not eating right and certainly not logging food. Yesterday I ran 4 miles and have lost 6 pounds to date.
    It's all about your committment to yourself. You will be surprised by what you can acheive, but you have to start somewhere!!
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Well if you have trouble starting AND following through, you need to do some prep work.
    Clean out the house. No junk food. If you have no will power clean out even the good high calorie stuff.
    For example, I love almonds and raisins. Well a pound of each is probably 2000 calories, and if I buy them, they are gone in two days! I can not have them in the house without gaining weight, even if they are healthy.

Luckily I became wheat intolerant, so no more baked anything. I never realized that wheat increased the hunger like that. If I have a bagel in the morning, I am ravenous all day long. Rice works much the same, yet white or sweet potato are fine and also have more vitamins and fiber, even than brown rice or whole wheat bread. So ditch the wheat and sugar.

Another thing that helped me. On tv, someone asked, "Who told you that you are not worth anything?" I began reflecting back and when I had my answers, stopped being angry, I could see that they were not the ones worth anything, and I certainly did not need to allow them power over my life, health, or well being. Clear out the trash of you mind as well as out of your cupboards and get going.

One other thing that might help, set several non-weight related goals, like a daily walk schedule, no biting nails promise, even polished and clean kitchen counters, so if you do succumb to a donut, you can lift your spirits by saying that at least you succeeded in your other goals and can succeed in weight as well.