Free weights or machines?

Options
Do you prefer free weights or machines? I noticed at the gym an interesting observation, the fit people were using free weights, the heavier out of shape people were using the machines. I've always used the machines, I guess I've been afraid of doing it wrong with the free weights and hurting myself so I've stuck with the machines plus I have no idea what to do with the free weights.

Anyways, what is your preference and why?

And if it is better to use the free weights, what kind of exercises do I do with them, how do I know how much to lift and where can I find exercises to do? And how many sets/reps do I do and how many days a week?

5'2 158lbs , trying to lower BF% and get to a reasonable weight but not lose any LBM in the mean time.

Replies

• Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    This is my personal opinion from the perspective of someone just trying to lose weight and get in shape. I started out on the machines because they were easier for me to use, but I have moved on to free weights since working with a personal trainer. I prefer free weights simply because I like them and I have a ton more options for exercises. Not only does this keep me from getting bored but it's also a good idea to change things up because our bodies quickly adapt.

For example, I was doing bicep curls with the barbell for a couple weeks and I thought I was getting stronger (and I was), but when my trainer had me to bicep curls with the dumbells, I could barely do 15 reps because I wasn't used to working one bicep at a time. I work out with my trainer once a week and then I lift on my own 3x/week using the exercises he showed me. If you can afford it, I highly recommend working out with a personal trainer to show you proper form and technique if you are new to weightlifting. I don't claim to know much about weight lifting so I prefer to work with a personal trainer. Books and videos just don't cut it for me.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the rest of your questions because I don't know.
  • Tavysh
    Tavysh Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to be in the same boat. I always stuck to the back of the gym on the machines when I first started working out because I was nowhere near the size of the guys using free weights. It took me a while but after learning a little more about nutrition and finding a good strength training program I've moved up to the free weights and haven't looked back since. Don't get me wrong machines have their place but for the majority of us using free weights allows for a wider muscle group to be used rather than restricting the body to where it uses a smaller specific muscle group like machines do.

As for what kind of exercises to do it depends a lot on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're looking to put on muscle mass and are fairly new at strength training I would highly recommend looking into the program Starting Strength (also called SS for short) It focuses on the core lifts that have proven beneficial for years (Squats, Bench, Deadlift, etc.) You can find the book online for around $30 it's by Mark Rippetoe and it goes into great detail about the program itself as well as showing you everything you need to know on how to properly perform the exercises without risking injury.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Do you prefer free weights or machines? I noticed at the gym an interesting observation, the fit people were using free weights, the heavier out of shape people were using the machines. I've always used the machines, I guess I've been afraid of doing it wrong with the free weights and hurting myself so I've stuck with the machines plus I have no idea what to do with the free weights.

Anyways, what is your preference and why?

And if it is better to use the free weights, what kind of exercises do I do with them, how do I know how much to lift and where can I find exercises to do? And how many sets/reps do I do and how many days a week?

5'2 158lbs , trying to lower BF% and get to a reasonable weight but not lose any LBM in the mean time.

I prefer the machines but only because I like to train on my own. Free weights often requires you have a training partner to watch whilst you lift.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    For the most part machines suck,but theres a few that are usefull. Free weights move in your natural planes and dont lock you in a fixed ROM. Also the smaller stabalizer muscles get worked. ID advice you to find somone to teach you how to perform them properly or use the database on bodybuilding.com.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I just started on Sunday with a personal trainer. I have no experience of using the machines or dumbells. He has started me on the machines and gave me a record of what to do and how many reps and weight to use at the end of it. He did say though that once I was used to it I will be getting moved off of the machines and its not a forever thing...whatever that means ha! He does have quite a bit of solid muscle himself, and to be fair, I was aching the next day, still am!. Just need to get the confidence to do it on my own today after work!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I prefer free weights. I hate machines and avoid them like the plague. I am pretty tiny and no matter how much I adjust a machine the motion of it just feels off and unnatural. Plus I am engaging and working more muscles. I'm stabilizing and balancing.

There are a lot of pros to use free weights over the machines and I'm sure there are pros to using the machines over free weights. I'm on my cell and not going to text it out though, esp since I am no expert and there are so many on here that are who can explain so much better than me.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The machines are worthless for anything but targeting one specific muscle. They completely take stabilizers, antagonists, and muscle groups out of the equation.

You would need to use about 6 machines to hit the major muscle groups worked by a barbell squat, and you still wouldn't hit all of them.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I just started on Sunday with a personal trainer. I have no experience of using the machines or dumbells. He has started me on the machines and gave me a record of what to do and how many reps and weight to use at the end of it. He did say though that once I was used to it I will be getting moved off of the machines and its not a forever thing...whatever that means ha! He does have quite a bit of solid muscle himself, and to be fair, I was aching the next day, still am!. Just need to get the confidence to do it on my own today after work!

The reason trainers do this is because it's easy and safe, period. You don't have to teach technique and no one is going to hurt themselves doing a machine poorly. He's just trying to avoid putting effort into someone he thinks may not be in this for the long haul.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Jonny I am using about 6 machines 3 days a week, I also do insanity so I am hitting alot of the muscles that I am not hitting at the gym. Do you think it would acceptable to ask someone at the desk at the gym to show me or is that something I'd have to pay for? All they seem to do is laugh and text the entire time they are working anyways.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    100% fan of free weights here.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Jonny I am using about 6 machines 3 days a week, I also do insanity so I am hitting alot of the muscles that I am not hitting at the gym. Do you think it would acceptable to ask someone at the desk at the gym to show me or is that something I'd have to pay for? All they seem to do is laugh and text the entire time they are working anyways.

The big freeweight lifts are complicated affairs, and you can wreck yourself if you don't do them properly or don't do them in a proper program. Not a whole lot of "trainers" will be able to teach them properly. It's not trivial to find one who can. I strongly suggest you do some reading on them from a book like Starting Strength. Watching a lot of Youtube videos on form is a good idea too. I'd suggest you try to find a trainer with a powerlifting background.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

You could ask them a question but you aren't going to get the attention of a personal trainer for more than a minute for free. Not at my gym at least. If a personal trainer is not affordable, I say look up technique and form on youtube videos. It is not a substitute for someone teaching you, but it is better than nothing.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use free weights because I feel like they require me to use more abdominal effort. Not to mention, there are only a few settings on the machines. I'm short. I don't want to be doing more harm because the machine is not made for my body.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Free weights...

Aside from the obvious benefits (range of motion, targeting muscle groups rather than just one, etc), I like the idea of being able to put a barbell, plates, and a rack at the house to get a complete workout without having to have multiple machines. :) I have never been a huge fan of the gym, so this has been kind of a no brainer for me.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

You could ask them a question but you aren't going to get the attention of a personal trainer for more than a minute for free. Not at my gym at least. If a personal trainer is not affordable, I say look up technique and form on youtube videos. It is not a substitute for someone teaching you, but it is better than nothing.

I will try youtube videos! thank you!!
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    just ask some one at the gym how to do it, most people would be happy to help. forgot to add earlier, plate loaded HAmmer strength machines are the **** for the most part,
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Also what Jonny said "I strongly suggest you do some reading on them from a book like Starting Strength. "..good luck!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    free weights - you get to work your stabilizer muscles rather than have a machine stabilize them for you.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I use free weights because I feel like they require me to use more abdominal effort. Not to mention, there are only a few settings on the machines. I'm short. I don't want to be doing more harm because the machine is not made for my body.

Yes, exactly. A squat, deadlift, or OHP hits stabilizing muscles all over the torso, back, and hips. You can't really replicate that on a machine, or even a bunch of machines.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Also what Jonny said "I strongly suggest you do some reading on them from a book like Starting Strength. "..good luck!

Yeah, I think Starting Strength is pretty indipensible when it comes to the lifts. It goes into so much detail about the biomechanics of the squat, deadlift, and bench press.