Protein Powder Help!

Options
124»

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    My doctor reccommended that I use whey in an effort to build my tolerance to diary. Because my allergic reaction does not inhibit my breathing, he said I could outgrow it to the point where it is tolerable. As a female in my 20s, I have been concerned with bone mass loss as I have avoided dairy my whole life. I typically go with almond milk.

Using only one scoop of powder thus far has not caused any sort of negative reaction other than taste.

My big question I suppose is: when counting calories and essentially trying to remain as low in calories, carbs, and sugar while maintaining high proteins, which is the better option?

Maybe you should change doctors. You can't "build a tolerance" to dairy....wouldn't it be easier to avoid dairy than risk an allergic reaction? I'm sensing some malpractice,

Actually tolerances can be built just like intolerances can be.

I am severely lactose intolerant and also do get allergic reactions from certain brands of milk, like lip and cheek swelling allergic. But in small doses increased over time I have become somewhat tolerant as long as I keep up the daily doses. Just like I am photosensitive (allergy to sun), I get the horrible red burning, bleeding rashes along with big long splotchy and severly itchy rashes from the sun, but over the spring I get used to it so that I can go outside during the summer. I build a tolerance.... so err, yeah you can build a tolerance even if you are allergic.

not 100% of the time. I still think she has crappy doctors if they are really going to tell her to eat dairy if she's allergic, the sun is different, that's hard to avoid, you can avoid dairy easily and still survive just fine.