Toe/Foot Numbness

Options
2»

Replies

• DrCaspianDoll
    DrCaspianDoll Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As a podiatric surgeon in training I would highly recommend contacting a local podiatrist because you could have neuropathy that is due to a serious undiagnosed systemic disease.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Mine just started doing that too, but it's when I swim, so I know it's not from too-tight shoes.
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have had this exact problem. Its what you are wearing on your feet. I have bought some Vibrams Five Fingers shoes (the funky looking toe shoes) and it has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE! I went from being able to only burn 400 calories in a 45 minute workout to DOUBLE that solely on the intensity of my workout! I have more energy, my feet don't hurt. And the energy comes because my feet aren't bothering me. I really suggest them. I continue to tell people this all of the time and I know 2 others who have bought them after my suggestion and couldn't be happier. I will NEVER workout in a pair of regular shoes again. :) hope this helps!
  • aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. Now I know what to do to get rid of it. Love the info sharing that goes on here!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm one of the weirdos that has to have tight shoes.. I'll loosen them up a bit and see what happens.

There are alternate lacing patterns that runners use that might help you as well. Maybe they would allow you to "tighten" the laces, without having them tight across the top of your foot, compressing the nerve.
  • akayebrown88
    Options
    Yep, it definitely happens to me everytime I'm on the elliptical. I googled it the other day just to make sure it wasn't something bad. lol Usually after a couple of minutes off of it they are fine.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can see the benefit of all the above posts about shoes and fit. I will add one more general caution, I am not speaking directly to the OP, but in generalities.

If a person is living with Diabetes, they should also consider other reasons for numbness in feet. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy can be serious and often requires a lot of help to manage. If you are diabetic and you have numbness in feet while working out and the loosening your shoes isn't resolving this problem it is something you should get medical advice about.

This was something I was really nervous about. Both of my parent's have type 2 diabetes and at my last wellness check I was borderline (in my mind anyway, my fasting BS was 97). I haven't been diagnosed, but I do live in fear of the disease.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I can see the benefit of all the above posts about shoes and fit. I will add one more general caution, I am not speaking directly to the OP, but in generalities.

If a person is living with Diabetes, they should also consider other reasons for numbness in feet. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy can be serious and often requires a lot of help to manage. If you are diabetic and you have numbness in feet while working out and the loosening your shoes isn't resolving this problem it is something you should get medical advice about.

This was something I was really nervous about. Both of my parent's have type 2 diabetes and at my last wellness check I was borderline (in my mind anyway, my fasting BS was 97). I haven't been diagnosed, but I do live in fear of the disease.

Yes, your fasting is possibly an issue and you should watch that closely. However, diabetic retinopathy is something that happens after living with the disease for quite some time (typically anyway) so wouldn't be a risk for you. While a fasting of 97 is in the normal range, that range is likely far too broad. I consider mine normal if it's under 85, and under 80 even better. To get a true feel of how close you are to a diabetic diagnosis, you should really have a 3 hr glucose tolerance test. That would give you a much better and more accurate picture.