Favorite Salad Ingredients

Options
2»

Replies

• lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Oh, and your other question - I mix everything up at once unless there is something I am going to heat in the microwave, then add dressing right before lunch and shake in the container.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    some of my favorites:
    pickled red onion with pan-fried salami
    grapefruit, mahi mahi, avocado
    shrimp, 1 crumbled slice of bacon, avocado, tomatoes
    shrimp, cilantro, tomatoes, thin sliced red pepper
    strawberries, spinach, walnuts
  • Finchtastic1
    Finchtastic1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    avocado, chick peas, black beans, quinoa, green and red peppers, feta and or goat cheese. A salad of just quinoa, black beans, avocado, canned corn, red onion, with like a lime/chili vinegarette is awesome and quinoa is filling and you can make a bunch ahead and eat plan with meals and then add to salads!
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The Salad in a Jar works!

There's a whole thread about it that is pages and pages long with different ideas.

I have done them a week out with dressing on the bottom, pickled beets, cucumber, tomato, avocado, baked tofu, salmon, carrot, green pepper, snap peas, okra, beans, and spinach or lettuce. I change up the dressing and at least one ingredient every day or two to keep it interesting.

You start with all of the wet ingredients at the bottom and work your way to the dry and then the greens at the top. I use self sealing mason jars I got at the grocery store.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Fruits: Strawberries, pears, apples, arils, dried cranberries, raisins, Mandarin oranges

Veggies: Carrots, cucumbers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, peppers, olives, tomatoes

Fats: Sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts, avocado, pine nuts

Dairy: Shredded cheese, hard boiled egg, goat cheese, feta, crumbled blue cheese

Protein: Shredded chicken, tuna, salmon, beans, shrimp, a good cut of steak, crumbled bacon

Change up your dressing. Use salsa.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like adding tangerine slices, kale, black beens, salsa, shaved almonds, rice noodles, my list goes on.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Four favorite things to add to my salads:

Peas
    Mushrooms
    Sunflower seeds
    Blueberries or Raspberries whichever look best at the grocery.
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I grill chicken on Sunday for the week. Each night I make my salad for the next day, so no crazy rush in the morning. Usually it is spring mix, carrot, multi colored peppers, cucumber, campari tomotoes and 4 oz of chicken. I use 1 super small tupperware (about 1T) for the dressing. This months favorite dressing is Bolthouse Farms. Loving all of teh suggestions! :love:
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    35 calories for 2 TB of croutons
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Red meat. Seriously. One serving of steak looks SO SAD on a plate, but if you slice it up and throw it in a salad, it goes a lot further! Also, don't put dressing on until you're just ready to eat it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of salads, but when I do I like to have some type of nuts or beans on them. I eat a lot more grain and bean salads, than I do leafy salads. Quinoa and bean salads are my favorites.
  • meljoemom
    meljoemom Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Feta, tomatoes and egg with just a dip of the fork in italian... all on romaine. YUM! Now I want one! Hubby loves olives, but not this kid!

Oh and don't forget the red pepper!
  • Terrymichelle
    Terrymichelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Grape tomatos, bell peppers, and feta are salad staples for me. In the summertime I love mixing up blueberries, strawberries, and glazed pecans! I actually make my lunches for the week, and what I help finds preventing the salad from going soggy is putting those ingredients in my tupperware first, and the spinach/salad last.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    strawberries, green olives, onion, radishes, sunflower seeds, blueberries, walnuts, celery, green yellow or orange peppers, corn, salsa, banana peppers. The possibilities are endless and I don't get bored.