Issues w/ my Polar ft4..what to replace?

Options
I have only had my polar for a year. I purchased on Amazon new. It would give me false readings every so often but then work great. I have replaced the battery in the watch recently. The last several times I have used it it gives me readings like this 00....43...75...34...then to normal during aerobic 130 or 155 then sticks at that 155 for a few minutes even when I'm cooling down. Its just all over the place. It tells me to check my transmitter but everything is always fine and then when its says signal ok it goes back to one of those low reading likes I"m dead. I take care of it per manual instructions. I'm frustrated. When its working its awesome as I rely on it to make sure i get to my max anaerobic or low aerobic. I also love to know the more specific cal burn due to my heartrate.

Do i need to replace the strap which is only $15 or the transmitter which is $40? Or does the transmitter just need a battery change?

Thankyou for any help you can give me.

Replies

• FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    anyone know or do I post on another topic area?
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    this may seem obvious but is the transmitters wet? That is the only idea i got sorry!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    this may seem obvious but is the transmitters wet? That is the only idea i got sorry!

Yes :( Just wondering which piece of equipment is causing the issue so I know what to replace. :(
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I hear that the transmitter (which gets most of the abuse) needs to be changed once a year. Try that and see what happens! I have an FT1 and an FT7. Good luck chica :)
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I hear that the transmitter (which gets most of the abuse) needs to be changed once a year. Try that and see what happens! I have an FT1 and an FT7. Good luck chica :)

battery change or completely replaced?
  • HW2Hottie
    HW2Hottie Posts: 100
    Options
    I have the ft4 bought new. I alread replaced the batteries in the transmitter and watch. Now I'm told that the actual strap needs to be replaced as its only good for about a years worth of use with washing. The good news you can find them quick to ship. The bad news is no local store, i.e, Academy sells them.

Hope this helps!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest. That's the reason why I didn't go with Polar when I got a HRM. I read the reviews and a lot of people seem to have that same problem or they were broken out of the box. Not only that but like yours they crap the bed after a year. IMO $40 is a lot to drop on a new transmitter since you can get the HRM for $60-70. You'd probably be better off buying a new one.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    personally i would replace the battery first and see if that helps. if it doesn't, then i guess it's up to you if you'd like to try and replace the chest strap or just get a new one. i would probably get a new chest strap first, and then if that doesn't work just invest in a new, better model. i probably wouldn't bother trying to replace the transmitter since it costs over 50% of just buying a new one.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You are washing the chest strap right? If you don't the electrodes get gunked up and it stops picking up your HR properly. I'd do a battery change in the transmitter before I bought anything.
  • richh963
    richh963 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ive read some people clean the electrode points with electronic spray cleaner with a q tip, to clean the corroded points and it clears up the problem.makes sense to me.