how can I kettlebells into my current routine?

Options
hookilau
hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
I like the idea of kettlebells and would love to work them into my current routine. My goals are to keep what lean muscle I currently have and to add as best as I can. I am currently eating at a deficit so I realize the limitations. I am 5' SW; 158 GW 120

My current work out is training with my husband 3 x weekly, mostly compound movements.
Deadlifts, clean & press, good mornings, squats. high pulls, etc.

I really dislike doing cardio. I find the treadmill boring, elliptical even more so, but because I've been training with my husband on and off for the last 15+ years, I have grown to really like strength training.

Enter kettlebells. This looks like a good way to get some additional cardio in, if I understand correctly how it works. I'd like to add an at home work out with kettlebells but not interfere with my strength training. Can this only be done with pink kettlebells? :blushing:

Opinions, suggestions please?

Replies

• hookilau
    Options
    shameless bump :blushing:
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    kettle ball swings are a bad *kitten* cardio workout actually. burns serious calories, Im sure you can find a routine on bodybuilding.com
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Kettlebells are an amazing way to get cardio and muscle in all at once. A good Kettlebell routine will not only pack on the muscle, but get your heart rate going. However, before you add it into your routine, PLEASE find someone qualified to teach you (no, Jillian Michaels does NOT count); bad KB form is so much more dangerous than bad free-weight form! Other than that, I'd say substitute it for at least one of your 3 weight workouts, and then begin to add it in to 3 days a week, either in lieu of what you're doing, or on top of it (although that's gonna be a LOT). Good luck! Go forth and swing! (and pink KBs rock!!)
  • hookilau
    Options
    Thank you for your responses :flowerforyou: Yeah?...Badass? I'm down. That's exactly what I was hoping for. I'm not a Jillian Michael's fan so, yeah :laugh: I'd never been a fan of the dvd workout though, the same thing every day just bums me out. :yawn:

None of the classes at our gym include kettle bells, mostly zumba & the like. I'll have to utube it for now I guess but I'll be sure to start with vids focusing on form. Thanks again ladies :smooched:
  • selenametts
    selenametts Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells for the strength training and cardio. but yes, definitely get good training :) have fun!
  • amyrapone
    Options
    This blog post is from about a year ago, but Neghar Fonooni is one of my favorite strong, lifting ladies. She isn't much of a cardio fan either, but does a lot of work with kettlebells.

Here's the link : http://www.negharfonooni.com/2012/02/07/cardio-the-dirty-word/

I am a big fan of kettlebells myself, but I work with a trainer to ensure I have proper form. I would highly suggest trying to find a trainer who has (proper) experience with kettlebells in your area to at least teach you the basics. Good Luck! :happy: