Woman who has to eat 5000 calories a day!

Options
2»

Replies

• ladyjhia
    ladyjhia Posts: 2
    Options
    Something sounds hinky with this. I just can not imagine someone who is so malnourished that they are required to eat large amounts of candy instead of real food. Sugar provides calories but no nutrition. The protein does make some sense but even with that, where is the vitamins and minerals that would offset the malnutrition??
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Disturbing...I wonder how much she poops :S
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well, 5000 a day is just not possible, not on the long run at least.

Easily possible, and more than likely medically assisted.
    What I don't understand is that okay, she's mal nourished, but why doesn't she seem to eat a lot of vegetables? And can't anybody give her multi-vitamines or minerals? I know it's not the same but it might help.
    This isn't okay. This was a botched surgery. My guess is that the OP was posting this for the information of those considering the surgery.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    That is crazy... and scary, honestly. What if she is broke and cant afford a shopping trip? I dont have to worry about literally withering away just cuz Im broke! eek!
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has always been STICK thin. UK size 4 is big on her. And she's fit - she's on the university hockey team, has skated and been sporty her whole life. And she eats and eats, and doesn't get anywhere. I've always said I was jealous of her (especially when we go out to dinner and I'm drinking water and skipping dessert and she's eating as much as possible!) but she says she just gets SICK of trying to eat.
  • VoiceOfTrenton
    VoiceOfTrenton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is why there's no magic trick to healthy fitness and weight loss and it has to come from diet, exercise, and sleep. I've known at least one person who had the bypass surgery, but he also changed his eating habits and became more active at the same time.

On a side note, I've known some ER Physicians and we've talked about the super-obese people they've had come in--people who have to be cut out of their houses and/or transported in a moving truck because they don't fit in an ambulance and can't stand up. Usually they're in the ER because they're close to that point of eating themselves to death (one weighed over 1,100 pounds).

When these doctors have to crash a person's weight, I was told, "You can stay alive on vitamins electrolyes, and water." Those are the three critical things you'd need. I'm not saying anyone should consider stripping their diet down this drastically, but I *am* saying that no one should leave any of those things *out* of their diet, or something like this could happen.

If this woman has to sustain herself like this, her metabolism is so far out of whack that I can only imagine her days are numbered no matter what she does. This is why diet pills, herbals and/or "metabolism enhancers" make me very suspicious--many can throw off the delicate balance between pituitary, thyroid, and adrenals.
  • WalterWallCarpet
    Options
    One for our overseas friends; treat any story sourced from The Daily Mail with extreme suspicion. They are the very dictionary definition of the phrase 'trolling for page hits'.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Well, 5000 a day is just not possible, not on the long run at least.

I can eat 5000 calories in one sitting.

^Me too
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yep, daily mail isn't always the best source of news.

However, if true,it says she can't absorb nutrients so she is eating chocolate and junk. Nutrient rich smoothies and shakes would surely be healthier. Protein shakes for the extra protein needed.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I would LOVE to have her problem! I can rip through 2,000 calories in a heartbeat!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    That's a horrible situation!

What I don't understand though is why can't she eat 5,000 of mostly healthy things? Won't the chocolate bars and jelly beans just cause even more problems down the road with the sugar and such? Won't the junk food just cause heart problems?

If she can't eat veggies, fine. But can't she eat more dairy, nuts, whole grains, etc?

It's like fixing one problem but creating another.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous! I know that sounds bad, but it's true - I love food and love eating, 5000/day is NO problem for me. Unfortunately, I've done it before :/
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    ...What I don't understand though is why can't she eat 5,000 of mostly healthy things?
    If she can't eat veggies, fine. But can't she eat more dairy, nuts, whole grains, etc?

^^^Exactly! I'd carry around a big @$$ zip bag of macadamia, almonds, and walnuts, all unsalted, and go to town 24/7. Also, plenty of 100% fruit juice; plenty of vitamins there to go with the cals.

P.S. I don't believe this story, but whatever...
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    ^^^

The article doesn't really explain, but she does seem to eat healthy food such as nuts, fruit, salmon, eggs, etc. I get the impression that the "unhealthy" food is to make it easier for her to eat all those calories. It seems as if she's only absorbing a fraction of what she eats, for some reason. The surgery is supposed to cause some malabsorption, so I suppose that's what's going on. Makes you wonder where all the food is going!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    How utterly awful!!!

Reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode where the world ends, allowing a bookworm to finally focus on reading - only to have his glasses break.
    I remember that one...that was a good one!