First Week Frustration

Options
Hi everyone, so I JUST started with MFP last week Thursday and have been really good. I have stayed uner my calories and even adjusted them at one point to get less calories so I could aim for 2 pound a week lost instead of just 1.5. So I weigh myself every Thursday because that's when I started. I started my period last weekend and am pretty much done and this was pretty much a very light one. I had a little bloating in the begining but I feel no bloat right now. I have NEVER been one to work out but I am taking this weight loss challenge very seriously. I an completely out of shape at 5'10 and 240 pounds, but I have been walking on the beach and I took spin class yesterday which kicked my butt. I have been eating healthy and REALLY watching my calories and sugar, yet I was SHOCKED to see my weight go from 238 on April 8th to 237 on April 9th to 240 today. WTH????? Why did I gain weight? I only weighed myself from the 8 to th 9th because I was trying out scales and trying to find the best one to buy. My friend said that she thinks that most people gain a few pounds in the first week of dieting. Is she just saying that to make me feel better? Please give it to me straight.

Oh I can't even bring myself to chart my weight right now, becuase I can't bare the thought of watching my ticker go up. Is this bad?

Oh yeah...one last thing.......Please send me friend requests.....I need all the support I can get. Thanks!

Replies

• BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of women will not weight themselves until after at least a week of their period being over, to let the body readjust. Don't be discouraged. Make sure you are getting your fluids in to help wash away that extra bloat/water weight. Also, were you weighing yourself at the same time in the same way? First thing in the morning after you use the bathroom is the best time to do the weighing. And in the least amount of clothes possible ;-) If these aren't possible, then try to wear the same thing or type of thing each time you weigh.

I'm pulling for you! Feel free to add me as friend :-)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your decision to get healthy...you will not regret it!

Try not to be discouraged especially since you just had your TOM. That alone could cause some fluctuations. I, too, am anxious to see results, but you just started. Try to think of the positives like fact that you are working out now, and how much better you're feeling.

I'll friend request you.

Blessings,
    Lisa
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Dont be discouraged, keep going at it. ensure you are drinking lots of water and fluids.

The fact your TOM has just ended maybe why its not showing your acurate weight, with bloating and all.

Dont give up, keep going strong!!!
  • sweetrevenge
    Options
    I know a lot of women will not weight themselves until after at least a week of their period being over, to let the body readjust. Don't be discouraged. Make sure you are getting your fluids in to help wash away that extra bloat/water weight. Also, were you weighing yourself at the same time in the same way? First thing in the morning after you use the bathroom is the best time to do the weighing. And in the least amount of clothes possible ;-) If these aren't possible, then try to wear the same thing or type of thing each time you weigh.

I'm pulling for you! Feel free to add me as friend :-)

Thanks!! Yeah I weighed myself on the same scale on the same floor, first thing this morning, after I went to the bathroom and completely nude. I'm not going to give up, it's just frustraing to work so hard and expect at least a pound off and instead I gained 2. UGH!!! Well I was going to wait a day or two and weigh myself again, but I think I will just stick strictly to the plan and not weigh myself until next week Thursday. Wish me Luck!!!
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yes you will see your weight fluctuate, especially on a daily basis.
    For instance I started at 158.6 and shot up to 161!

No worries!

I strongly reccomend measuring your inches! It's a much better indicator! For instance, even though my weight is up, ALL my measurements are down!!! woohoo! And measurements are what people can see, even though we can read the numbers on the scale!

Also I am guilty of not drinking enough water! Make sure (especially during your period) to drink more water to help your body adjust the hormone spike back to normal! I do usually gain about 2-3 lbs during my period. But within a few days of stopping, I'm back were I should be :) And I've noticed quicker if I DO drink more water :) (less sodium, less sugar)

Hang in there! I am an instant gratification person myself, but I have to remind myself this is a journey, not a quick run :)

I'll send a friend request!!

Nice to have you here!!!
  • sweetrevenge
    Options
    Dont be discouraged, keep going at it. ensure you are drinking lots of water and fluids.

The fact your TOM has just ended maybe why its not showing your acurate weight, with bloating and all.

Dont give up, keep going strong!!!

Thanks for the encourgement!!! I'm so glad I found this site!! I will keep at it!!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, so I JUST started with MFP last week Thursday and have been really good. I have stayed uner my calories and even adjusted them at one point to get less calories so I could aim for 2 pound a week lost instead of just 1.5. So I weigh myself every Thursday because that's when I started. I started my period last weekend and am pretty much done and this was pretty much a very light one. I had a little bloating in the begining but I feel no bloat right now. I have NEVER been one to work out but I am taking this weight loss challenge very seriously. I an completely out of shape at 5'10 and 240 pounds, but I have been walking on the beach and I took spin class yesterday which kicked my butt. I have been eating healthy and REALLY watching my calories and sugar, yet I was SHOCKED to see my weight go from 238 on April 8th to 237 on April 9th to 240 today. WTH????? Why did I gain weight? I only weighed myself from the 8 to th 9th because I was trying out scales and trying to find the best one to buy. My friend said that she thinks that most people gain a few pounds in the first week of dieting. Is she just saying that to make me feel better? Please give it to me straight.

Oh I can't even bring myself to chart my weight right now, becuase I can't bare the thought of watching my ticker go up. Is this bad?

Oh yeah...one last thing.......Please send me friend requests.....I need all the support I can get. Thanks!

I agree with what everyone else has said - drink your water, don't worry about that TOM, etc. so I'm going to hit on some other things...
    You say you've stayed "under" your calories... how FAR under? I know it sound totally counterintuitive... but for this to work, you HAVE to eat! You don't want to send your body into shock by decreasing your calories all of a sudden - it will hold on to everything it's got because it will think you are starving it. Make sure that you are eating ALL of your calories. Make sure that you are eating your exercise calories! Eat well. Eat food that is high in nutrition and good for you.

And yes, of course drink all your water... and then some! With the increase in exercise, your muscles will be holding onto some fluid as well. Eat lots of fruits and veggies!

Don't get too frustrated... just as quickly as the scale fluctuates up... it'll fluctuate down.
    Congratulations on deciding to live a better life! You can do this!
  • sweetrevenge
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your decision to get healthy...you will not regret it!

Try not to be discouraged especially since you just had your TOM. That alone could cause some fluctuations. I, too, am anxious to see results, but you just started. Try to think of the positives like fact that you are working out now, and how much better you're feeling.

I'll friend request you.

Blessings,
    Lisa

Thanks Lisa!!!
  • sweetrevenge
    Options
    You say you've stayed "under" your calories... how FAR under? I know it sound totally counterintuitive... but for this to work, you HAVE to eat! You don't want to send your body into shock by decreasing your calories all of a sudden - it will hold on to everything it's got because it will think you are starving it. Make sure that you are eating ALL of your calories. Make sure that you are eating your exercise calories! Eat well. Eat food that is high in nutrition and good for you.

Yes I am totally aware of starvation mode and I do admit that I started this journey because of a very difficult break up which cause my very bad anxiety to reach an all time high. When I am anxious I can't eat ANYTHING!!! I will just throw it baack up. So thr first two days I was over 600 calories UNDER my daily allowance, there was one day that I went over by 4 calories and the rest I was under. Maybe you can take a look at my foor diary and tell me what you think? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Alesha
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of courage to come out of a break up and decide to do something radically different and healthy for yourself. I'm so glad you came to this site and I hope that you will remember to stand back and look at the long term, big picture. Don't get too caught up on the day to day or week to week of eating healthy and exercising. Stay focused and remember that long term success is worth the effort and time that it takes to achieve :) You are doing great simply by asking for guidance and by eating better. Please feel free to add me to your friend list.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    And yes, of course drink all your water... and then some! With the increase in exercise, your muscles will be holding onto some fluid as well. Eat lots of fruits and veggies!

If you have significantly increased your exercise recently, your muscles will hold onto glycogen (fuel for your muscles) until they adjust to the new activity. Drinking more water will help this happen faster (and take care of any bloating TOM has left behind). Don't fret about it too much. Stress hormones can make you hold onto weight also. Just keep up the good work and it will happen soon!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

Yes I am totally aware of starvation mode and I do admit that I started this journey because of a very difficult break up which cause my very bad anxiety to reach an all time high. When I am anxious I can't eat ANYTHING!!! I will just throw it baack up. So thr first two days I was over 600 calories UNDER my daily allowance, there was one day that I went over by 4 calories and the rest I was under. Maybe you can take a look at my foor diary and tell me what you think? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Alesha

Alesha -
    First - let me congratulate you on staying under your sodium and calorie levels for the amount of times that you eat "out" or carry in. But GIRL... where are the vegetables? And I'm not talking about a caesar salad from McD's! LOL! How about some REAL fruits and veggies? Apples, oranges, broccoli, cauliflower? Remember that this shouldn't be all just about the calories... nutrition is really important too!

Break ups are hard... and now I understand your screen name. Big hugs to you for making the decision to get healthier... no matter why you ended up making the decision.

Even though you're not going over your carb allowance - it seems that you reach for carbs for comfort (don't we all...)... perhaps cutting back on the pretzels and pasta type stuff - eat an apple instead? I highly recommend a tablespoon of peanut butter with a granny smith apple... SOOOO GOOD! The peanut butter will give you a few more calories too!

Have you ever tried Hummus? Another great snack is carrot sticks and hummus... it's a good protein/nutrient boost.

Don't be surprised if all of a sudden you get on the scale and it's down a couple pounds... I tend to get stuck at a plateau for a few days or weeks even - then all of a sudden one day I'm down 2 or 3 pounds.... I LOVE IT when that happens!

As long as you're eating right and exercising - the weight WILL come off. But try to eat more as your emotions will allow. You can totally do it... and old Mr. Whathisname will eat his heart out!