Any moms with advice on how to loose baby weight?

Options
I'm a new mom and would love some advice on how you moms lost your baby weight? I seemed to put it on everywhere! Most of it has gone but I'm stuck with a belly and fat thighs. Would love to hear of success stories and how you did it!!

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming. :wink:
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    breastfeeding - that was an extra 500 calories burned. I did the wii active sports and will active more sports. I loved the step aerobics. Or i'd just put something on tv do step aerobics with a step while I watched a full hour show
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I gained 60 lbs when I got pregnant and I lost 40 just from eating well and breastfeeding. When I stopped breastfeeding I gained it all back b/c I started eating like crap. I tried a bunch of things but nothing has worked and STUCK. Eating at a deficit and working out is the right way to do it and it's working and keeping me full and happy. Here's a great place to start: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • cathrynfay
    Options
    I found that while I was hungrier when I was still nursing, it was much easier to to lose once it was over. Breastfeeding burns a lot of calories, but it can also make some women's bodies reluctant to let go of weight.

Other factors as a new mom: not having time or energy to make sure you're eating healthy food, eating your kid's leftovers once they're eating their own meals, eating lots of baked goods at moms' coffee gatherings. Once I became aware of these things it was easier for me to stay on track.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    if you breastfeed drink a LOT of water. I think a lot of women forget this. I was drinking up around 2 gallons of water a day.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Put baby in a carrier or carriage and walk. It gives baby some fresh air and gets you some needed exercise. It also gets you out of the house.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you gained. (I say this as a mom of three who is pregnant again right now.) I have done pregnancies "the right way" and gained only eating healthy whole foods and I have done two where I ate whatever I was "craving" and gained 40lbs.

If you are in the first group and gained only 25lbs-ish, then by nursing, your body is designed to burn 500 calories a day, 3500 a week, etc and will take about 4 months to take the weight off without much effort on your part. You should let it do that and not eat at a deficit or overexercise b/c that will actually diminish your milk supply and perhaps even put your body into a mode where it "stops" losing to protect the milk supply. However, a couple cardio sessions a week and weight training will help you gain nice muscle tone to look good when the scale finally evens out.

If you are in the second group, you might need to work in a 100-200 calorie deficit each day. Not any more than that, because of the aforementioned side effects while nursing. However, you might have to do more exercise to burn more calories than you are eating. However, the real work comes in when you are done nursing, as you will need to get some serious cardio (3-4x week) and weightlifting and a 500cal deficit to lose about 2lbs a week. It will probably take you about 9-12 months, since that is what it took you to put it on.

I feel very lucky in this pregnancy that I have been able to finally figure out that gaining the *right* amount and type of weight during pregnancy is so key. I feel great knowing that my body is designed to *lose* the weight within 4 months, even though I will definitely keep up my exercise to stay fit. I think that a lot of women, (like myself 7 years ago when I started having babies,) go to one extreme or another. They either give into every craving (and continue to do so while nursing,) and then end up with TONS of weight leftover that they want gone ASAP (not realistic) or they don't want to gain anything and then postpartum have insufficient fat stores to nurse and safely lose the weight/bulk (aka love handles) that naturally occur in pregnancy.

Feel free to friend me if you want to see what a 1900 cal diary looks like or need a friend who's "been there, done that" with losing postpartum weight (over and over again!).
  • lildewdrop27
    lildewdrop27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Agreed any help would be great! I'm thinking of swimming too, how old is your baby? My baby is 5 months now (first time mummy too) and I've noticed as the weeks go by my tummy is slowly trimming down the baby fat, I did have love handles for the first time in my life, but they're disappearing, whether its down to a flat abs workout I started I don't know, but remember, "9 months up 9 months down"! Any other mummy's feel free to add me as I'd love some motivational mummy's! :happy:
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Agreed any help would be great! I'm thinking of swimming too, how old is your baby? My baby is 5 months now (first time mummy too) and I've noticed as the weeks go by my tummy is slowly trimming down the baby fat, I did have love handles for the first time in my life, but they're disappearing, whether its down to a flat abs workout I started I don't know, but remember, "9 months up 9 months down"! Any other mummy's feel free to add me as I'd love some motivational mummy's! :happy:

I'm glad you mentioned the love handles, as that was what I was talking about when I posted---our bodies are designed to "store" fat during pregnancy in certain areas that are supposed to serve as fuel for nursing. Your love handles will definitely go down if you are losing weight healthily but it's great that you realize it will take a few months to do so. I remember being so frustrated with my midsection after my first baby and wondering if it would ever go away. It does, as long as you're doing the moderate (how much depending on whether or not you're nursing,) calorie deficit and some cardio/strength training. I always tell myself that I can't really tell how much weight I need to "work off" until I hit the 8 month postpartum mark. By then, my body has had enough time to lose what it is going to lose and I can start working on the rest. A great example of a Hollywood mommy who lost weight "the right way" each time is Jennifer Garner. You can see that she held onto quite a bit of "bulk" in her midsection for about 10 months and then it slimmed back down. I just think she is a great person/actress/mommy role model!

Another poster made a great point that some women "hang on" to about 5-10 extra pounds until they stop nursing. I had that with one of my pregnancies----when my daughter weaned, I immediately lost about 5lbs quickly. Then I got pregnant again, lol.
  • BonnieFife
    BonnieFife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey im a mum of 3, I had my first at 22, 10 years down the line ive got 3 & aiming to get back to my weight before baby no.1 looking for friends on here with similar goal to 'GET MY BODY BACK' ive got 40lbs to lose. I'd recommend following MFP 1200 cals a day log everything you eat, & if you've got time get your hands on Jillian Michaels 30 day shred workout dvd or youtube it, 20 mins everyday & it works, you'll either lose the weight in inches or burn of the pounds :) to burn off the belly fat & fat on your thighs get walking only cardo will burn fat in these areas no matter how little you eat. & get an even balance with exercise & food eat more than you burn you will stay the same, eat too little and your body will go into starvation mode. Oh & if you've got an hour try Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism its really good :) need motivational mummys
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm a new mom and would love some advice on how you moms lost your baby weight? I seemed to put it on everywhere! Most of it has gone but I'm stuck with a belly and fat thighs. Would love to hear of success stories and how you did it!!

Nursing took it right off me. But if you're not, this advice won't help.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918054-what-is-your-excuse-pics-included

^^My before and progress pics are in here.

ETA: If you are nursing that is great and that will definitely help. You don't have to drink a TON of water as earlier mentioned. You need to stay hydrated, yes, but too much water can actually reduce your supply. I'm not just saying this because I heard it somewhere I am an IBCLC.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Patience, patience, patience.

A solid diet with a small calorie deficit (and breastfeeding) helped me lose all my baby weight.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    how about getting rid of lose skin
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred if you are a beginner to exercise, healthy eating, exercise and a decent caloric deficit. 30DS works if you commit to the workout and having a new, healthy life style in general.

This is what all of this did for me - I have no rolls, no ugly hanging bra back fat.. After doing the 30DS, I now lift weights and workout everyday.

19593344_5908.jpg
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding had me down below pre-pregnancy weight by 5 months all 3 times. I am still tandem nursing now, which helps.

If you're not nursing, set up your calories to be where you need to be to maintain, and then aim for 300-400 calories of cardio a day. That's a good starting point; you'd be 300 under and you will certainly lose.

It takes time, so have patience and look at every little goal as a big deal. I felt frustrated, especially after my first, because I thought I'd never lose it, and that's what friends would say ("your body changes forever once you have kids") -- not so! It's possible to take the weight off. I am now in the best shape of my life after having 3 kids. I may have been thin before, but thin does not equal fit. I have so much more endurance now that I've been working out consistently.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    1st child: spinning 5x week + breastfeeding (4 mos)
    2nd child: breastfeeding (2 years) and chasing 1st child
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    how about getting rid of lose skin

That will happen over time. Mixing pure almond oil, cocoa butter oil or broken vitamin e liquid capsules with your favourite moisturizing lotion will work wonders.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hmm, how old is baby and are you nursing?

If you are breastfeeding then 500 calories per day gets taken out of you and put into the baby. Eat the right foods, add some exercise (low impact if you JUST had the baby) and you should drop the weight pretty fast.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred if you are a beginner to exercise, healthy eating, exercise and a decent caloric deficit. 30DS works if you commit to the workout and having a new, healthy life style in general.

This is what all of this did for me - I have no rolls, no ugly hanging bra back fat.. After doing the 30DS, I now lift weights and workout everyday.

19593344_5908.jpg

Great work, girl!!!