Help! Lot to lose and knee pain.

Options
I have about 300lbs to lose, and I'm having knee pain when I work out - I'm just walking now.

The bike actually hurts it more. Is there anything you guys can suggest besides swimming?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can until you can get your weight down to where it isn't hurting your joints. Weight loss is far more about your diet than it is about exercise. Walk when you can and you can also Google Geriatric exercise for things you can do while seated.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Make sure you have been properly fit on your bike. that is the main factor to reduce pressure on the knee.

Also make sure you are keeping you are using a small gear, and keeping a high cadence. Pushing to big a gear puts lots of stress on the knees.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good shoes. At this point any movement you can do is good. Focus on your diet to keep your weight loss going (42 pounds so far is AWESOME, btw!). Keep walking if you can handle it. Maybe try some wall push-ups, walking jacks (instead of jumping jacks), marching in place, etc. Have you tried the elliptical machine? How is that on our joints?
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You've done a great job so far with a 42 lb loss. I suffer from Osteoarthritis in my knees, so I know what pain is. I have a really hard time getting on my knees for pushups, so I fold my yoga mat and use it for cushion. I started with walking with "Walk Away the pounds" and now am doing ChaLean Extreme which is heavy in squats and lunges. The more you are able to strengthen your Quads and hamstrings the easier it will be to work out. Try searching for exercising for bad knees.

http://www.livestrong.com/bad-knee-exercises/
  • MuchTooPuffyDuffy
    MuchTooPuffyDuffy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
  • xPeacefulx
    xPeacefulx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello :) Id recommend trying pilates. I have knee pain and pilates has helped me lose inches so far ( been on my weightloss journey for about a month) havent weighed myself but im sure ive lost something. Ive been exploring different yoga videos and those are hard at the moment but im sure will get easier like pilates did. I bought a yoga/pilates mat the other day and its helped alot with cushioning my knees during my workouts. If you dont have one i think its a good tool to have. Its 6mm thick and i personally would stick to that thickness because it feels good on the knees. :smile: walking is also a wonderful choice too