Weight Training with Injuries???? Advice Pls.

Options
I've started incorporating more strength training into my routine in the last couple weeks. Back last April I took a HARD fall during a sports activity and hurt the muscles of my left rotator cuff. It's not really bad but I do get sharp pains if I move the wrong way, and I'm trying to strengthen that area. It seems tender now. Did I do too much too fast?? Yesterday was the first time since the beginning of my journey that I actually had pain during an exercise.
How can I proceed with strength training if my shoulder isn't full strength?? Am I going to have to baby it with lower weights until it's better? Any info on weight training is appreciated!

Replies

• barefootbeautiful
    Options
    My answers: Yes, carefully, and maybe. :) Seriously though, you're going to have to be careful with that injury. I'd take it easy on the rotator cuff and see if there are alternate exercises (possibly more back strengthening) that you could do until your injury heals.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    I had a right rotator cuff injury a few years ago and I don't think it healed correctly. What I do to help it is stretch it out. I stretch it before, after, and during my workout. I also started with body weight before I moved on to lighter weights. I don't do full fledged weight training though so I'm not sure how helpful that advice is for you. I just know that both my doctor and trainers have told me that if an exercise is causing pain and not just some discomfort, stop doing that exercise (or lower the intensity) until you can build up the muscle to take it.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've started incorporating more strength training into my routine in the last couple weeks. Back last April I took a HARD fall during a sports activity and hurt the muscles of my left rotator cuff. It's not really bad but I do get sharp pains if I move the wrong way, and I'm trying to strengthen that area. It seems tender now. Did I do too much too fast?? Yesterday was the first time since the beginning of my journey that I actually had pain during an exercise.
    How can I proceed with strength training if my shoulder isn't full strength?? Am I going to have to baby it with lower weights until it's better? Any info on weight training is appreciated!

I had rotator cuff tendinitis last year. I had it evaluated by a doctor and was referred for physical therapy. The problem with lifting is that almost all your upper body muscles are hooked into your shoulders. Biceps, triceps, pectorals, traps all have tendons that attach to your shoulders. I was told to back of on the amount of weight lifted and to avoid overhead exercises until I was pain free and to NEVER do pull down exercises behind the head

http://www.livestrong.com/article/299066-physical-therapy-exercises-for-rotator-cuff-injuries/

http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/strengtheningexercises/ss/Resistance-band-rotator-cuff-strength.htm
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. That does help. I'm trying to avoid PT since I'm exercising on my own already.
  • Brutmar
    Options
    bump
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I've rehabbed more injuries than I care to think about. Physio/physical therapy is the best option - they know how to get you back to peak form quickly, and more than that can help you keep strength balanced both front/back and top/bottom so you don't wind up with another injury from muscular imbalance.