Do people give you a hard time abt tracking your food?

Sometimes my friends & family gives me a hard time about MFP. I've been using it for years (on and off). I LOVE to see what I'm eating and how it breaks down. But my family hates it. I get eyerolls when the scanner beeps (phone app.) I get eyerolls when someone announces we're going to a restaurant and I start scrolling through the menu to check calories, sodium, sugar content of the meals available. And so on. Overall it's a love/hate thing.

What kind of reactions do you get?

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Same as you. My husband thinks I'm crazy but then I tracked his calories for a week and now he think I'm slightly less crazy.
    I just ignore it and go about my own business.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    My fiance thought I was crazy too, but he's okay with it now.

Other people think it takes too much time.
  • Soyaknow
    Soyaknow Posts: 23 Member
    I don't let them - not their business to judge me!
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    My friends made fun of me at first. But all in fun, because they would then ask how it works.
    And any mean people shut up after the I lost 20+ pounds. Now everyone is used to me doing it, since I've almost been a year at this.
  • lucyinthesky2007
    lucyinthesky2007 Posts: 98 Member
    Yes! I hear "but you've already lost so much why are you still counting calories? " A LOT.....and I answer with "Ummmm....cuz I'd like to keep it off that's why"

Oh well, I'm not doing this for anyone else but me anyways :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I usually track after the fact, so only my husband has to deal with it. He gets annoyed sometimes when I complain about it, but mostly he just ignores it.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    only my wife...
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I don't track by phone. Therefore, people don't see me tracking. End of problem.
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    I just joined last January so basically I've been doing this for 58 days. My lovely wife (who is basically the one who can bug me) has been supportive all the time. My daughter sometimes asks me if I'm gonna do it for ever. So, so far so good
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    I get the "Oh just live a little!" when we are at restaurants and I am checking nutrition and calories on my phone. Or "It's not Halloween, Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years, X people birthday everyday" .... please I would be huge if I just "lived a little" every time there was a function surrounding food, which seems to be at least once a month.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    No, because:

1. No one ever sees it. I track my food by phone, but only my husband sees that (and he's on here too).
    2. I'm flexible enough to eat a meal out every now and then without having to know the calories, I don't track holidays, I don't freak out over "cheat" days. So, I don't make it a big deal and therefore no one else does either.
    3. I'm pretty private about my diet and weight loss. People only hear what they want to hear and I don't feel like correcting everyone all the time over their misinformation (except here....I don't mind doing it here :tongue: )
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Hubby: hates, Hates, HATES IT! "You always do better when you aren't counting the calories."

Family: Was opposed to it at first, but now they are start to ask question and comtempling using it themselves, because they are all 200+ lbs.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    On the contrary, most of the people in my dorm think it's really cool that I'm so dedicated to logging :) I got a few of them on here
  • rachey121
    rachey121 Posts: 20 Member
    My friends think it is weird and obsessive, ha my family on the other hand think it's healthy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I keep a copy of my most recent and awesome blood work with me at all times as well as a copy of my blood work from Oct...anytime someone comments I just have them do a side by side...then I point to my waist line...then I tell them to...

2005309swsw.gif
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Only my partner if I'm logging between choosing from a menu and it actually arriving when we're eating out, but he's a MFPer too so knows why I'm doing it.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    I have gotten others involved...I have my son enter my meals, show my mom what I'm eating & how I can tell what friends/family have done by their meals, etc....discuss it...explain to others why it's important too me...if the people in your life are supportive, they shouldnt be complaining :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Dont care its for me, and the fiance supports me he has MFP app on his phone, LOL!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    I'm too quick for anyone to notice/care
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    same as you. mainly my step grandma and step-dad about tracking my food. my mom says if it helps me and its obviously working keep doing it.