Protein Powder (UK?)

Options
Hey everyone, I'm considering getting some protein powder to add to shakes but ... what do I get? They all seem so expensive but I guess that's because they're many many portions. So ... I found a decent looking soy protein powder for about £12. UK folks, what do you buy? So many options and I have no idea what to buy.

Replies

• MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use soy. It can give you an upset stomach IMO.

I use Vega one which is plant based. Are you vegetarian/vegan? Any reason you don't want to use whey?

What sort of intensity of exercise are you doing? I am only asking because a lot of people use shakes on here but their activity doesn't really warrant such a huge amount of protein.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm an omivore really but the whey ones seem comparatively more expensive and I'm a poor student. I don't know enough about that kind of thing to be able to tell if the difference is worth it.

I'm doing cardio (about an hour a day in different forms, swimming, walking, exercise vids etc) and body weight strength training, so no lifting. I realise I probably don't NEED that much protein but carbs are my downfall, I start craving more and more and more after only have a small serving so I'm trying to move to a low carb diet. However, meat etc is expensive and I don't like eating meat for all meals so I'm trying to make my shakes etc more nutritionally dense as well as make some high protein cakes etc for portable snacks.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I use GOOD hemp protein - unflavoured.

I find whey to be over-processed and makes me bloated/gassy.
  • cfarnan5
    cfarnan5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a Vegan Protein powder (whey upsets my stomach and soy doesn't taste as good), sold by Arbonne.
    Available in UK, Canada , USA and Australia. Not sold in stores but through private distributors. You can
    check out www.Arbonne.com for more information...or reply and I can send you email with more info.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    Mmm Hemp looks like a good option, cheaper than whey. Do people lean towards flavoured or unflavoured ones? I would think that unflavoured ones would be more flexible in use but do they have a strong taste of their own?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Mmm Hemp looks like a good option, cheaper than whey. Do people lean towards flavoured or unflavoured ones? I would think that unflavoured ones would be more flexible in use but do they have a strong taste of their own?

I use unflavoured in smoothies (with almond milk, banana, berries, spinach, ground flax, cacao) and you get a vaguely earthy undertone but nothing unpleasant.
  • dancinmama
    dancinmama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use a chocolate whey. It's delicious, and i have no problem with it.