Stronglift and Insanity?

So I've been reading about strong lift or starting strength, not quite sure the difference just yet or which one will be for me. I am use to only using the machines at the gym. Anyways, on the days I do the Stronglift or Starting Strength should I still do my usual 25 minutes of cardio on the Elliptical, and can I still do Insanity on my off days from lifting?

Replies

• Pedromcdodge
    Pedromcdodge Posts: 7 Member
    Hello there, you're describing two contrasting workout programs, so I advise you have a sit down and think what you want out of a program and what fitness goals you want to achieve.

The workout results:
    Insanity - Builds insane fitness & is aimed at losing fat.

Starting Strength or Stronglifts - Builds strength & adds muscle.

Nutrition:
    Insanity - If you were going to do this program, you would need to eat at least 500 calories below maintenance to lose fat. This would lose you around a pound a week. This may not seem a lot but if you actually look at a pound of fat you will understand that it makes a huge difference.

Starting Strength - If you were going to use this program you would need to eat above your maintenance as it's very difficult to gain strength on a calorie deficit and near impossible to build muscle without eating a little bit over your maintenance. I'd suggest eating 250 above maintenance at first and seeing how you feel. You should aim to put on no more than 1/2 pounds a week as any extra will more than likely be fat instead of muscle, unless you're a genetic freak :-)

I hope this helps.

Jamie

Ps. Running these two programs together will more than likely counteract each other and you will effectively be "spinning your wheels". Focus on a goal & pick a plan to help you get there. Good luck!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    I personally do strongliifts and have been for the past 13 weeks. For about the first month and a half to 2 months doing cardio on off days was fine. Now I don't even think about it. It just leaves my legs too dead to squat. It's all going to depend on what your goals are though. If you like the cardio then do it. However as you get further into the program your lifts will probably suffer. What I'll also say is that if youre going to be doing all that is that you need to be eating a lot or you're just going to feel daed all the time.

The difference between Starting strength basically is this

Stronglifst
    5 sets of 5 on Barbell rows, Squat, Bench press and Over head press.
    1 set of 5 deadlift
    Increasing each exercise by 5 pounds after successful completion of all five sets

Starting strength
    3 sets of 5 on Power Clean, Squat, Bench press and Over head press. ( Though i think you can sub Rows for Power cleans)
    1 set of 5 deadlift
    Increasing 2.5% of the weight you successfully lifted the last time you did it.

I like the extra sets in stronglifts but I'm a little crazy.

My 3 month progress with really not much cardio
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/906502-3-months-stronglifts-5x5
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Pedromcdodge is wrong. You can easily gain strength on cal deficIt. Building strength is not dependent upon adding muscle.
  • RunDoozer
    Hello there, you're describing two contrasting workout programs, so I advise you have a sit down and think what you want out of a program and what fitness goals you want to achieve.

The workout results:

Nutrition:
    Insanity - If you were going to do this program, you would need to eat at least 500 calories below maintenance to lose fat. This would lose you around a pound a week. This may not seem a lot but if you actually look at a pound of fat you will understand that it makes a huge difference.

Starting Strength - If you were going to use this program you would need to eat above your maintenance as it's very difficult to gain strength on a calorie deficit and near impossible to build muscle without eating a little bit over your maintenance. I'd suggest eating 250 above maintenance at first and seeing how you feel. You should aim to put on no more than 1/2 pounds a week as any extra will more than likely be fat instead of muscle, unless you're a genetic freak :-)

I hope this helps.

Jamie

Ps. Running these two programs together will more than likely counteract each other and you will effectively be "spinning your wheels". Focus on a goal & pick a plan to help you get there. Good luck!

I mostly agree with you. But even at a deficit he will see strength gains especially since both programs have you start out low. You dont have to gain muscle mass to get stronger. I have already doubled my bench in 3 months and I've been eating at a 500 calorie deficit. Yea will I see less gains at 90-100% of 1rm sure. But it doesn't mean I wont get stronger and lost body fat all at the same time. Down 6% in 3 months.

It will be really hard for your body to recover for either program though as they're both intense.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272

The workout results:

Nutrition:

I hope this helps.

Jamie

Aw this is disappointing. I was hoping to do a mix of strength building and cardio. My goal is to lose 40lbs without losing my LBM (or as very little as possible) My main goal is to thin out but still have muscles and be strong, but little fat, instread of just reducing my calories and the number on the scale and looking fat still.
  • BflSaberfan

The workout results:

Nutrition:

I hope this helps.

Jamie

I mostly agree with you. But even at a deficit he will see strength gains especially since both programs have you start out low. I have already doubled my bench in 3 months and I've been eating at a 500 calorie deficit. Yea will I see less gains at 90-100% of 1rm sure. But it doesn't mean I wont get stronger and lost body fat all at the same time. Down 6% in 3 months.

It will be really hard for your body to recover for either program though as they're both intense.

My screen name is deceiving. I'm a woman lol 5'2 158lbs.
  • RunDoozer

The workout results:

Nutrition:

I hope this helps.

Jamie

I mostly agree with you. But even at a deficit he will see strength gains especially since both programs have you start out low. I have already doubled my bench in 3 months and I've been eating at a 500 calorie deficit. Yea will I see less gains at 90-100% of 1rm sure. But it doesn't mean I wont get stronger and lost body fat all at the same time. Down 6% in 3 months.

Sorry just hard to tell with no profile pic. Doesn't change anything though. Same thing applies for women.
  • BflSaberfan

The workout results:

Nutrition:

I hope this helps.

Jamie

Sorry just hard to tell with no profile pic. Doesn't change anything though. Same thing applies for women.

Now I figure since I sit at a desk all day 5 days a week and do pretty much nothing other than chase kids and housework on Sunday doing 2 hard programs would be okay? No? ETA I have done Insanity before, I couldn't keep up at 6 days a week and only made it through month 1, but doing it every other day seems doable.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member

The workout results:

Nutrition:

I hope this helps.

Jamie

You can build strength and fitness at the same time
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

Now I figure since I sit at a desk all day 5 days a week and do pretty much nothing other than chase kids and housework on Sunday doing 2 hard programs would be okay? No?

No. For your goals, do the lifting, but not Insanity. You can add in 1/2 to 1 hour of light-to-moderate cardio on three of your off days - make sure you have one full day off - but your body won't have time to recover properly if you try to do both programs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I think a pretty ideal setup is 3x/week of the lifting and 2-3x/week of cardio. Personally I'd keep it to about 30 minutes or less of cardio, and do it on non-lifting days. I think Insanity may be a bit much. If you plan to do cardio on lifting days I would recommend doing it after the lifting.

Starting Strength and StrongLifts are both excellent programs. Don't be fooled by the simplicity; and don't get ahead of yourself: READ the books. Starting Strength would be my recommendation. It's much deeper, and is written by a guy who's made a career of training novices; whereas StrongLifts is just some guy in the internet.
  • RunDoozer

Now I figure since I sit at a desk all day 5 days a week and do pretty much nothing other than chase kids and housework on Sunday doing 2 hard programs would be okay? No?

No. For your goals, do the lifting, but not Insanity. You can add in 1/2 to 1 hour of light-to-moderate cardio on three of your off days - make sure you have one full day off - but your body won't have time to recover properly if you try to do both programs.

This. You will feel like you can in the beginning. But after you get into the program and start lifting about 85 % of your max weight you will need all that time to recover. The weightlifting will become just as intense as insanity or even more so as you get heavier weights. I think you'll find that you'll end up in the same boat as when you tried to do insanity 6 days a week.

Make sure youre eating plenty with enough protein. This will really help.
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    you need both cardio and weight training, with lifting once your body adapts move on to something else, change the lifts, reps, sets and you'll be fine. When first starting out you could literally lift rocks and transform your body.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    with lifting once your body adapts move on to something else, change the lifts, reps, sets and you'll be fine.

you forgot the fundamental one: change the weight (i.e., increase it). that is what makes these programs work.
  • RunDoozer
    with lifting once your body adapts move on to something else, change the lifts, reps, sets and you'll be fine.

you forgot the fundamental one: change the weight (i.e., increase it). that is what makes these programs work.

100% agree.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member

The workout results:

Nutrition:

I hope this helps.

Jamie

Aw this is disappointing. I was hoping to do a mix of strength building and cardio. My goal is to lose 40lbs without losing my LBM (or as very little as possible) My main goal is to thin out but still have muscles and be strong, but little fat, instread of just reducing my calories and the number on the scale and looking fat still.

You can attain these goals through strength training alone. I've lost 25 lbs in four months essentially only lifting 3 times per week and eating a high protein diet. I'll do some HIIT cardio here and there but only once a week if at all. Check out Stronglifts... I do it on a deficit too (-10%\-30%)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

The workout results:

Nutrition:

I hope this helps.

Jamie

If you eat at a deficit, you don't need exercise at all to lose weight...but you will lose LBM is you don't weight train. Most people just go all out on the cardio and ignore weight training and lose weight, but end up with little in the way of definition...essentially, skinny fat.

You can lose weight, do strength training, and do some cardio all at the same time. The thing is that if you're truly following a program like SS or SL, it takes a lot out of you and too much cardio is just going to hold you back from recovery. If you're eating at a deficit, it's already hard.

I personally wouldn't recommend doing something like insanity and SS or SL...just too much training there. I've lost 25 Lbs thus far and I do SS 3x weekly. On lifting days, my cardio consists of nothing more than a 30-45 minute walk; on non-lift days, I might do a light jog for 30 minutes or something like that...an aerobic activity, but not one that is blowing me up. I used to do one day of HIIT, but that quickly started interfering with my strength progressions...just too much intensity upon intensity when I was doing that and running a couple miles per day and SS...I felt like I was going to die. Much better when I dialed down the cardio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Now I figure since I sit at a desk all day 5 days a week and do pretty much nothing other than chase kids and housework on Sunday doing 2 hard programs would be okay? No? ETA I have done Insanity before, I couldn't keep up at 6 days a week and only made it through month 1, but doing it every other day seems doable.

If you are doing SS or SL the way they are intended, they are incredibly intense strength training workouts. You need the proper recovery to benefit from the lifts. SS/SL + Insanity = major over train, possible injury, and not reaping all of the potential benefits of any of those programs
  • BflSaberfan
    Okay I was hoping to find more on either of these programs on the Internet but looks like I will definitely need the book. I am gettin mostly male responses. Are these lifting programs okay for women do you think? What exactly am I getting myself into here. Lol
  • Pedromcdodge
    Pedromcdodge Posts: 7 Member
    Also, i'd like to point out that i'm not against cardio on your "off days", but Insanity is a whole new level of cardio and as many have mentioned, recovery will suffer. Squatting 3 times a week is tough & incredibly taxing on the CNS, throwing insanity in there will just increase the strain on the CNS.

Whatever you decide to go with - work hard, eat right and enjoy it!