Am I defeating the purpose?

Options
Hi Guys,

I started drinking green smoothies yesterday. I must say that they are not as bad as I was afraid they would be. They do keep me full all day long. Any who.... I drink them for breakfast and lunch and have a regular dinner. I made spaghetti so the dinner for the past two days has been that. The only problem is that I am going WAY over on carbs. I am under on calories (I have not done my exercise for today yet but know I will be under calorie goal by the end of the night). So based on my diary (its open feel free to peek) do you think I'm defeating the purpose of the green smoothie drinks with all the other food I'm eating. I have snacked on 100 cal popcorn and pretzels. I needed that salty fix since the drinks taste rather sweet. HELP!!

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about the deficit.

That being said, protein is very beneficial. I'd try to trade your snacks and dinner out with higher protein meals. You'll feel full for a longer period of time, and other benefits on your weight loss journey.

Keep at it!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your protein seems really low. Protein helps keep your body from eating too much of your lean muscle while you're dieting. I'd suggest finding some ways to boost it. Maybe you could add some Greek yogurt to your smoothies or look for higher protein salty snacks (like nuts). Don't be afraid of fats either, since they're essential for vitamin absorption and brain function.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What was the purpose of the smoothie?
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    What do you do for exercise? That has a factor on what your carb intake should be. Carbs = fuel. However, like others have said, replace some of those carbs with protein. Protein is also a great way to help stay full longer.

Edited for spelling/grammar errors.
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I'm trying to get my full servings of fruits and veggies. Also I've read its a good "raw" option. It keeps me full for most of the day minus my snack attacks. The fruit and veggies don't have much protein. I just don't want to be so over my carbs.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

I'm trying to get my full servings of fruits and veggies. Also I've read its a good "raw" option. It keeps me full for most of the day minus my snack attacks. The fruit and veggies don't have much protein. I just don't want to be so over my carbs.

fruit and veggies = carbs, all your snacks and dinner = carbs.. That is why we are saying replace your snacks and dinner with higher protein items. That way it'd drop the number of carbs, and raise your fats and protein naturally.