Stronglift 5x5 and the Smith Machine

Options
Hi guys, I'm starting Stronglifts 5x5 but I only have access to a smith machine (trust me, I mean it, I can't afford buying a barbell, switching gyms is absolutely out of the question so please don't suggest it) has anyone or IS anyone doing stronglifts with a smith machine? Does it matter? What are you results? Do you have any other tips for the program?

Thanks xx

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to dumbbells? They would be a better option than using the smith machine. The smith machine just restricts movement too much and causes you to not to have to use stabilizing muscles. As well as not allowing your body to move the way it should through some of the lifts.

Dumbbells can replace a lot of the exercises for a while. At least until they get too heavy to hold. Then you'll probably have to use the smith machine. Also if you do ever go from the smith machine to a barbell make sure to use at least 10 percent less because you won't be able to lift as much due to how much the machine stabilizes for you.

If you have to use it. Then it's better than nothing. Maybe eventually you'll be able to afford a barbell set. At least here's to hoping.