VERY CONFUSED about calories! Please HELP!!

Options
About me:

Height: 5'5
Starting Weight: 148
Current weight: 137
Goal weight: 125

When I started counting calories I had a goal of 1310, then a few weeks in i reassessed and decreased to 1270. I was steadily losing weight from day 3. I dropped about 11 pounds in approx. 45 days. I assume the first few pounds were water weight. I was eating more fruit and veggies, more protein, less fatty foods, no fast food, no soda. Basically it was a very drastic change.

About 2-3 weeks ago I hit a plateau and I have been stuck around 137. I never stopped counting every single calorie, I was exercising 1-3 times a week. I started to lose motivation.

I read in a thread that sometimes increasing calories along with exercise can help so i upped my calorie goal to around 1400. Then today i calculated my BMR and TDEE and found that i should be eating closer to 1520! So I increased again. I am just so confused. I only have 12 pounds to lose, can I still achieve this by eating as much as 1520 calories a day??

Also I recently started doing kettlebell workouts and i absolutely love it! My heart starts beating so fast and I know I'm doing my body good with the cardio/strength combo here. Should i add more cardio or is this enough? I do a 20 minute kettlebell workout everyday. My legs/*kitten* were sore as hell the first time i did it and i couldn't do it again for 3 days lol. But now i consistently do it at least 6 times a week unless i'm too sore.

I need some input here. I have great discipline and can restrict my calories to whatever i need to to lose weight and stay healthy, but right now i don't know what's right. Can someone who is more knowledgeable in nutrition and all the fancy calculators please help me and tell me what my calorie/exorcise goals should be?

Replies

• Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the same for me also

height 5"4 inches tall
    starting weight: 250 pounds
    Current weight: 186 pounds
    Goal weight 134 pounds
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Definitely stick to the higher calorie intake as you should never be eating less than your BMR.

As for working out, you should not be working the same muscle groups so much. After every strength train, you need to take a day of rest. Rest days can include cardio, but shouldn't be weight training on those same muscles. The best way I've found is to weight lift on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and then do some sort of cardio on whatever other days you want.

I have lost over 45 lbs and I can't say I've ever eaten less than 1700 calories and my current TDEE-15% is just under 2000 calories...and I keep losing. It's a slow loss, but I prefer it that way as it's more likely to stay off.
  • alexeye11
    alexeye11 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding! I will try to work in an alternative cardio workout so that i do my kettlebell workout every other day instead :)
  • alexeye11
    Options
    Definitely stick to the higher calorie intake as you should never be eating less than your BMR.

As for working out, you should not be working the same muscle groups so much. After every strength train, you need to take a day of rest. Rest days can include cardio, but shouldn't be weight training on those same muscles. The best way I've found is to weight lift on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and then do some sort of cardio on whatever other days you want.

I have lost over 45 lbs and I can't say I've ever eaten less than 1700 calories and my current TDEE-15% is just under 2000 calories...and I keep losing. It's a slow loss, but I prefer it that way as it's more likely to stay off.

Thank you for responding! I will try to work in an alternative cardio workout so that i do my kettlebell workout every other day instead :)
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    No problem. I like to do aerobics classes on those days...kickboxing, spin, step aerobics, stuff like that just for some ideas.
  • x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Im 5'3 and weigh 150. (ive lost 50lbs since august)
    I eat between 1500 (my bmr) and 2000 a day. my average TDEE according to fitbit is around 2200.
    You need to work out your BMR and your TDEE and stay between those numbers.
    good luck xx
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi Alex,

I can totally relate to your nervousness about eating more calories. I have started to eat more calories too and I've been feeling uneasy about it. Surely I need to be super-strict and restrict my calories drastically, right? If I loosen up and eat more, I feel like I will put my weight loss at risk, right? These feelings seemed natural until I stopped and realized that they were FEELINGS not LOGIC or FACTS.

So you know what helped me? I went to the Reports tab in MFP and looked the my calorie consumption for the 90-day period (so see the full 60+ days I've been logging). I noticed that the top of the range was my TDEE, 2300 cal (by cooincidence? or by design?). Then I saw the bar chart below it showing my slight variations in calories, slight increases, but overall the HUGE GAP between what I eat and what I burn. And suddenly I didn't feel worried about losing weight still on more calories. Because the gap between what I burn and what I eat is still HUGE. And logically, how could I eat well below what I burn every day for months and not lose weight? Its physically impossible. The only possible outcome is to lose weight. :) My body can't build fat cells out of thin air, after all.... LOL

So don't be afraid to eat more calories. A lot of times we hit a plateau because our hormones get out of balance. The best way to have the best hormones for weight loss is to eat slightly below the calories you need for maintenance. Not *drastically* below. SLIGHTLY below. It's like magic: releases those hormones that helps weight loss. You know what else helps those hormones that I practice religiously? #1 Eat breakfast every morning within 20 minutes of arising. #2 Get at least 20 g proteins for breakfast. And most important of all: #3 Eat six times a day. Three meals and three snacks. I do this religiously, I set alarms on my iPhone, I keep protein bars in my purse and pocket at all times. This keeps your blood sugar in a very narrow band known as the "fat burning zone." Its like magic. This is the one thing I never vary and keeps me losing (I'm on my 6th month of losing 2 pounds a week on average... no joke. I just recalculated and I'm still on that average. Only 2 months tracking MFP btw, I switched from a different tracker the first 4 months)

Lots of factors can go in to a plateau. Sometimes you have to try different things to find what works. Sometimes people have gotten past a plateau by drinking more water. Your body needs water molecules for the process of breaking down a fat cell. Also, your body protects itself from toxins by storing excess toxins in fat cells. It will resist releasing those unless it has enough water to flush them out of your system.

You have a great attitude so keep it up! Don't be discouraged. You are very disciplined and you have already put in a lot of great work and made great progress. I'm sure you'll figure this out!

Best of luck to you :smile:
  • alexeye11
    Options
    Hi Alex,

I can totally relate to your nervousness about eating more calories. I have started to eat more calories too and I've been feeling uneasy about it. Surely I need to be super-strict and restrict my calories drastically, right? If I loosen up and eat more, I feel like I will put my weight loss at risk, right? These feelings seemed natural until I stopped and realized that they were FEELINGS not LOGIC or FACTS.

So you know what helped me? I went to the Reports tab in MFP and looked the my calorie consumption for the 90-day period (so see the full 60+ days I've been logging). I noticed that the top of the range was my TDEE, 2300 cal (by cooincidence? or by design?). Then I saw the bar chart below it showing my slight variations in calories, slight increases, but overall the HUGE GAP between what I eat and what I burn. And suddenly I didn't feel worried about losing weight still on more calories. Because the gap between what I burn and what I eat is still HUGE. And logically, how could I eat well below what I burn every day for months and not lose weight? Its physically impossible. The only possible outcome is to lose weight. :) My body can't build fat cells out of thin air, after all.... LOL

So don't be afraid to eat more calories. A lot of times we hit a plateau because our hormones get out of balance. The best way to have the best hormones for weight loss is to eat slightly below the calories you need for maintenance. Not *drastically* below. SLIGHTLY below. It's like magic: releases those hormones that helps weight loss. You know what else helps those hormones that I practice religiously? #1 Eat breakfast every morning within 20 minutes of arising. #2 Get at least 20 g proteins for breakfast. And most important of all: #3 Eat six times a day. Three meals and three snacks. I do this religiously, I set alarms on my iPhone, I keep protein bars in my purse and pocket at all times. This keeps your blood sugar in a very narrow band known as the "fat burning zone." Its like magic. This is the one thing I never vary and keeps me losing (I'm on my 6th month of losing 2 pounds a week on average... no joke. I just recalculated and I'm still on that average. Only 2 months tracking MFP btw, I switched from a different tracker the first 4 months)

Lots of factors can go in to a plateau. Sometimes you have to try different things to find what works. Sometimes people have gotten past a plateau by drinking more water. Your body needs water molecules for the process of breaking down a fat cell. Also, your body protects itself from toxins by storing excess toxins in fat cells. It will resist releasing those unless it has enough water to flush them out of your system.

You have a great attitude so keep it up! Don't be discouraged. You are very disciplined and you have already put in a lot of great work and made great progress. I'm sure you'll figure this out!

Thanks! Very informative. I think the hardest is gonna be trying to get enough protein lol. What do you normally have for breakfast?
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear and since you are closer to your goal, it tends to get more difficult to lose those last few pounds.

Just from a cursory glance of your diary, I noticed your carb intake is very high and your protein is very low. I would set your macros for the days you are not working out to around 30% carbs, 25% fat, 45% protein (100-150g or less of carbs is my personal opinion).... then on days you do work out, up the daily intake of carbs a bit. Just from that, I think you may be able to see some changes.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Some very good/easy sources of protein:

- nonfat greek yogurt
    - string cheese
    - legumes (beans, etc)
    - poultry
    - seafood
  • alexeye11
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give those a try :) Carbs are sneaky little *kitten* arent they?
  • Bettyeditor
    Options
    Hi Alex,

Thanks! Very informative. I think the hardest is gonna be trying to get enough protein lol. What do you normally have for breakfast?

As for what I eat for breakfast, my diary is open, feel free to look. :) I eat cereal (either Corn Bran or oatmeal) and I add an egg or a piece of lean turkey bacon to get protein. I also get some protein through soy milk on my cereal. But to get up to 20 g of protein, I've added a scoop of protein powder. On the weekends, I like to have eggs/bacon and waffles/syrup for a treat, but the calories/carbs/protein/fats equal about the same.

People who don't like to eat breakfast often have a smoothie/shake with a couple of scoops of protein powder. I have a friend who had Greek Yogurt and fruit every morning, that's a great source of protein (I'm allergic to cow's milk so I avoid yogurt).

By the way, I have tested and discovered that when I have at least 20 g protein for breakfast, I have very little hunger through the day. But when I don't.... I am just plagued by hunger and end up eating more calories. Everyone's a little different I'm sure, but for me eating 20g protein for breakfast has been a huge help. :flowerforyou:
  • Bettyeditor
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear and since you are closer to your goal, it tends to get more difficult to lose those last few pounds.

Just from a cursory glance of your diary, I noticed your carb intake is very high and your protein is very low. I would set your macros for the days you are not working out to around 30% carbs, 25% fat, 45% protein (100-150g or less of carbs is my personal opinion).... then on days you do work out, up the daily intake of carbs a bit. Just from that, I think you may be able to see some changes.

Yes, loss is slower closer to your goal. And muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe with your workouts you are adding msucle. A lot of scales now can measure body fat if you step on them with bare feet. If you see your weight staying the same but your body fat percentage going lower, then you will know that you are losing fluffy fat and replacing it with heavy dense muscle, which is a good thing. :))

As for protein, my nutritionist used a formula to determine that I need between 93-116 g per day. Hard to get, true. But using protein powders and protein bars has helped. You can probably find a calculator online that will help you find out how many grams of protein you should get a day.