..does only water itself count as water consumed?

Options
jvest
jvest Posts: 4 Member
so what counts as water...just water...iced tea, coffee, soda???

Replies

• FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I personally only count water, unsweetened coffees & teas in my cups-per-day. :)
  • anjiemr
    anjiemr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have always heard and that natural clear water is the only thing that should be counted as water consumed...Others may count coffee and teas...
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    The meaning of water seems to be different for everyone. Just do what you think is right for you :happy:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    a) the only 8 x 8 rule is a complete myth. drink when you're thirsty, don't worry about forcing yourself to drink 64 ounces of water per day unless you're thirsty for 64 ounces of water per day.

b) all liquid that you drink and the liquid content of your food counts. whether it's water or soda or tea or coffee or rice or pasta or soup or whatever. your body takes it in and extracts the water it needs from all of it.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Can it rain coffee? Can it rain tea?

Unless there are clouds made of coffee grounds and tea bags,,,, I think not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why is this in success stories?

Anyway...H2O...if you add stuff to H2O, it is no longer H2O and thus, no longer water. That said, just stay hydrated..mellow yellow to clear.

1233089339_6a16d66.gif

Now go have a cool drink of H2O.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't count soda. you want to drink a lot of "water", and if you think soda counts, then that may make you want to drink more soda to reach your "water" goal. then you'd be drinking lots of extra sugar, calories, or other fake, weird, unnatural stuff. if you want to drink a soda, just log it in the food diary.
    i'd just stick with counting water. and water is good for you! :)
  • tropicpalm
    tropicpalm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. Tea and coffee are diuretics, so some diet plans actually tell you to drink MORE water to counteract the effects of drinking coffee or tea. After all I have read, I have cut out soda - diet and regular - and fruit juices totally. Sugar spikes are not my friend for a host of reasons and both of those cause them. They are even finding that "diet" sweeteners are worse than sugar itself. They cause cravings and I can do without that!

Is there a reason why you don't want to drink plain water? If I feel like something with flavor, I just squeeze a half lemon or lime and if I want it sweeter tasting, I might add some stevia, but not usually. Just once in a while.

Good luck!

Cat
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers allows pretty much any 0 calorie beverage as water. They're a well-respected organization, so I can't say they're wrong.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    i wouldn't count soda. you want to drink a lot of "water", and if you think soda counts, then that may make you want to drink more soda to reach your "water" goal. then you'd be drinking lots of extra sugar, calories, or other fake, weird, unnatural stuff. if you want to drink a soda, just log it in the food diary.

you can drink nothing but soda if you choose and your body will still obtain the water it needs from the soda and any food that you eat that contains water. the human body is well designed to break down everything you ingest into its usable parts. why do you think soda is not mostly water? what do you think constitutes most of the liquid?? :huh:
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    a) the only 8 x 8 rule is a complete myth. drink when you're thirsty, don't worry about forcing yourself to drink 64 ounces of water per day unless you're thirsty for 64 ounces of water per day.

b) all liquid that you drink and the liquid content of your food counts. whether it's water or soda or tea or coffee or rice or pasta or soup or whatever. your body takes it in and extracts the water it needs from all of it.

YES!!! THIS!!! If people would look at actual research. And not only go by what they 'hear'
    The Water Only Counts' myth would go away.
    It was de-bunked almost as soon as it became a 'thing'
    A cup of coffee in = a cup of coffee out. As is true for Any ingested liquid.
    Or food that is mostly liquid.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It depends on which article you read and who you talk to.
    I count up to two cups of coffee or tea and count as two cups of water. If I drink more, I drink water to offset any side effects and only count the water as water from that point.
    If I drink soda or juice with sugar I do not count that as water because of the sugar in it and again, I try to drink water to offset any dehydrating or other affects.
    Water as water is best if you want to get technical but I am happy with my way and will continue to use it ;)
  • tartsul
    Options
    amazing
  • tartsul
    Options

you can drink nothing but soda if you choose and your body will still obtain the water it needs from the soda and any food that you eat that contains water. the human body is well designed to break down everything you ingest into its usable parts. why do you think soda is not mostly water? what do you think constitutes most of the liquid?? :huh:

my point is that, although you may be getting "water" from soda, you're also getting a lot of other stuff that isn't good for you.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912894-can-i-log-this-as-water?hl=water

Sorry, kind of new here...

Do we do this every day?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Yeah pretty much...people like to make all kinds of excuses not to drink water.

Personally, my body needs more than 8 cups...I lift heavy things and put them down and can drink about 1/2 gallon while doing so. Never mind cardio days. I also need lots of water for muscle repair and also to flush sodium out of my system because I'm hypertensive. In any event, a coke isn't going to cut it for any of that...neither is herbal tea or coffee or crystal light or whatever.

Water is H2O...do I drink other things? Sure...bit those other things aren't water.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

my point is that, although you may be getting "water" from soda, you're also getting a lot of other stuff that isn't good for you.

...but the thread title was a question about what counts as water, not the nutritional qualities of anything you drink that is not water. i'm not soda-phobic so i don't worry at all about what is or is not inside soda, but i rarely drink soda so it doesn't make a difference to me. but if i were stuck in a raft adrift at sea and all i had with me was a case of 7-UP, the 7-UP would certainly keep my hydrated until i had exhausted it. the simple fact of the matter is that a lot of people completely misunderstand what liquids and foods can be used to keep you hydrated... the answer is simple. all of them. provided you're not making your tea with anti-freeze instead of water, then tea counts. same with soda. same with coffee. for hydration purposes, they all count.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

Yeah pretty much...people like to make all kinds of excuses not to drink water.

Personally, my body needs more than 8 cups...I lift heavy things and put them down and can drink about 1/2 gallon while doing so. Never mind cardio days. I also need lots of water for muscle repair and also to flush sodium out of my system because I'm hypertensive. In any event, a coke isn't going to cut it for any of that...neither is herbal tea or coffee or crystal light or whatever.

Water is H2O...do I drink other things? Sure...bit those other things aren't water.

in bold is wrong (from a hydration perspective). your body doesn't know or care if you're getting your water content in its pure form, or mixed with sugars and other additives. your body is supremely capable of breaking down the components of everything you ingest and make use of them each of these ingredients as necessary. i drink water almost exclusively myself, but that doesn't mean that tea or coffee or soda or soup wouldn't also assist me in keeping hydrated.
  • hilary2005
    hilary2005 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't count hot drinks as water, but I do count cordial as water.
  • Lovebears99
    Lovebears99 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist today told me not to count coffee or tea in my water count. She said if i add MIO drops, or crystal light to a cup of water, i can still log it. But coffee and tea contain caffeine, and does not count in your daily water intake.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!