Why not eat below BMR?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Here is a novel concept:
    Pick a number - or let MFP do it for you, or Scooby or IPOARM or ........
    Net that many calories for a month.
    Did your body change in the ways you want/expect it to?
    If yes, continue.
    If not, adjust calorie intake accordingly and reassess in another month.

I think this makes sense, but the issue becomes whether to increase or decrease calories if the number you start with is too low. This is why I'd start at a calculator's TDEE and see what happens. If I'd started at mfp's TDEE for me I would have lost 1-2lb a week, instead of the 3+lb a week I lost on 1200kcal (as given me by mfp to lose).
  • lynda3y9
    lynda3y9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    And the plan is TDEE - 20% or some other reasonable deficit. TDEE - 20% can be below BMR on days you don't work out. Derp.

Yup, TDEE minus 1Kg a week puts the amount on a non workout days to 500 below BMR for me. at work i could eat more as my job is moderate intensity but i don't always, I have around 29% Body fat and another 20kgs to lose to get to ideal weight. 20 down 20 to go. on workout days it's far easier, i burn 600-1100 calories in a 60-80 minute period which i do 5-6 days a week.. so i can lose the 7000 calories a week and still be eating enough to not feel hungry, not that i get hungry anyway, my body is use to eating around 1300-1600 for some the past few months and other then a few plateaus that i'd associate with too much exercise retaining water and too much sodium every now and then i have nothing but benefits.

Got my blood pressure under control going from a possible heart attack/stroke at any point with undiagnosed type 2 hypertension and 42% body fat/224 Lbs. to 29% body fat/199lbs, blood pressure is averaging safe limits, inches falling off the body, and my stamina at the gym has tripled all within 5 months..

so if you are like me and were obese or are overweight then it's not much of an issue either way don't be suprised if you plateau and have to change calculations, macro ratio's, increase exercise or eat even less again.

MFP is just a guide, you have to work out your own plan, MFP uses one set of calculations but there are several other calculations out there that can vary by as much as 500 calories either way to get the same result.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Well let's define what it is first for those that don't know what it is. BMR (basal metabolic rate) is what one's body will burn at REST in a day. So that means no other activity.
    Add in daily activity from work and other things and exercise gives one their TDEE.

Now is is inherently bad to eat below BMR? Depends. If one has a lot of weight to lose, then probably not. If one has moderate weight to lose (10lbs-30lbs), then sticking close to their BMR should be fine. If one has very little to lose, then eating under their BMR may result a more lean muscle loss than desire and when that happens, then metabolic rate slows faster.

Lots of RD's will advise many obese/morbidly obese patients to eat below their BMR, so it's not taboo.

I think the point is to be smart. If one is in this for the long haul, then one should eat where they can sustainably lose weight moderately. Quick weight loss HARDLY is ever successful because it's a big change to the body and mind to adapt to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition