How do you stick to healthy habits?

Options
I know that staying healthy is pretty much going to be a lifestyle change, i.e. eat healthier, exercise more. My question to you MFPers is, how do you stick to it? Do you find yourself reverting to your "old ways" now and then?
Currently I feel that I have a high momentum into this, been eating pretty well, working out more. I used to snack on potato chips but these days I can't even think about putting that junk in me (I've since resorted to baby carrots and blueberries :laugh:). I've been drinking at least 8 cups of water a day and I've had no soda for ages. I have 8 or so more pounds to go but I'm just hoping once I reach my goal weight I can keep this up.
Thoughts?

Replies

• Keysted
    Keysted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Take one day at a time.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    remember what got you to where you are and how hard it was. I for one, never want to have to do this again!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think the answer to your question is in the question. You make them a habit. Habits are hard to break.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Today I had the tiniest bit of disappointment in my life and strongly considered grabbing some sugary treats that were close by in my old "poor me" way. So how did I stop myself? I just thought about how good my current success feels and how bad I felt when I was eating lots of sugar and spending my life on my bum. I feel like I am in an "upward spiral" right now. So long as no nasty overwhelming stressful surprise hits me, and I keep getting lots of sleep and have the time to exercise and eat properly I think I'll be ok.
  • sweetawreet
    Options
    Log everything. Even on a day where you unhappily binge, log everything. You will be able to remember the days you didn't do great, but you'll also be able to check back to successful days and recreate them. Over time, you will definitely see what is working best for you.