On recent acute shin splints, is ice or heat better?

Options
2»

Replies

• MattAFX
    MattAFX Posts: 2
    Options
    If this is a one-time event, then ice to reduce inflammation and gentle stretching should get you back out there no problem. I just wanted to follow-up on points touched-on by JeffRodgers1 & ElizMurphy69. If you find that shin splints become a recurring issue, look at strengthening your feet & ankles, often it is a muscle imbalance (i.e. weakness) combined with a deficit in your range of motion causing the problem.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    HEAT & MASSAGE to increase blood supply which delivers oxygen to aid in the healing process. THEN ice to reduce inflammation. Nsaids to reduce inflammation as well for a few days along with rest. That is essential! SHOES with PROPER support are also ESSENTIAL. Stretching calves before AND AFTER helps too along with ham string stretches. Let's face it, no one wants to stop exercising to heal, it sucks, but you have to sometimes. When I get them (I had them last week) I slow down or stop walking and switch to other exercises to burn calories until they have healed. But heat, with massage then ice. ;)
    Oh, someone mentioned proper form. I had that problem. Turns out my hip was torn and I was turning ever so slightly w/o even realizing it! So, now, I REALLY pay attention to the way my foot strikes the treadmill/ground as I walk, to ensure proper form.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If this is a one-time event, then ice to reduce inflammation and gentle stretching should get you back out there no problem. I just wanted to follow-up on points touched-on by JeffRodgers1 & ElizMurphy69. If you find that shin splints become a recurring issue, look at strengthening your feet & ankles, often it is a muscle imbalance (i.e. weakness) combined with a deficit in your range of motion causing the problem.

So far, this is the first time I've had shin splints since the late 1980s. I think I've had them 3 times now in my entire life. Once running track in Junior High long long ago on a planet far, far away. Once doing high-impact aerobics on a hard concrete unpadded floor decades ago in college. And now this time. So, I think it's pretty hard to call it recurring. LOL However, I will keep aware if it becomes a trend. Thanks for all the tips. Feel free to add any others you can think of.
  • MattAFX
    MattAFX Posts: 2
    Options
    3 times since the 80's? Ya, I'd agree that it's not a trend. :happy: All the best and if it does recur, send me a message and I can send you some exercises.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is so weird! I didn't know you'd gotten them doing aerobics on a gym floor! The same thing happened to me!

Monica
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, yes. This recent time was from hiking too far with too much on pavement.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    If I were you, based on what I've been reading recently, I would try putting my legs in ice water for a few minutes to reduce inflammation. I'm not an expert or anything, it's just what I would try.
    I'm an expert, lol. I am a massage therapist so maybe I can help. Cold/ice healsl. It should be applied asap to when the injury or stress occurred. It will reduce inflammation and shorten the recovery time. Heat will make it feel better. I would alternate heat and ice treatments alternating. Wrap your legs in elastic bandages after treatments. You want it tight for support, but not too tight to cut of circulation. If you need to walk (like around your house) I would always have my shoes on (one with arch support) until you are feeling better.