question?

Options
Can some please tell me if there is a correct way or anyway to increase your metabolism?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Can some please tell me if there is a correct way or anyway to increase your metabolism?

exercise and eat enough to feed your body and stay out of starvation. Daily exercise, and just staying active is really the only way (besides making sure you eat enough good quality food) to raise your metabolism.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I suspect the best way is to exercise, but I'm curious as to whether anyone else has other advice.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from white flour and overprocessed foods. Whole foods and foods with whole grains take longer to process in the body and keep your metabolism working longer than with say white bread, rice, pasta and sweets.

Also have more muscle mass allows you to burn up to (roughly) 100 extra calories a day than if you have little muscle mass.

Eating breakfast is also a great way to get the metabolism going since you are "breaking a fast" from sleeping.
  • Kristin♥Ashli
    Options
    Eating 5 times a day as small meals rather than 2 or 3 times a day as BIG meals. It's all about the way you eat, what you eat (fruits, veggies, whole wheats, etc.) and eating them at a small balanced pace! =) I've been doing myfitnesspal for only about a month and a half and I changed my diary to categories of BREAKFAST, LUNCH, AFTERNOON SNACK, DINNER, EVEING SNACK. That way i remind myself to eat smal amounts. Just remember...don't overstuff yourself during meal times, because if you think about it (and follow the 5 light meals a day), you will be eating in two hours! Try thinking of it like that! Good luck!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

exercise and eat enough to feed your body and stay out of starvation. Daily exercise, and just staying active is really the only way (besides making sure you eat enough good quality food) to raise your metabolism.

If your body is in starvation mode how do you fix that?
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Eating 5 times a day as small meals rather than 2 or 3 times a day as BIG meals. It's all about the way you eat, what you eat (fruits, veggies, whole wheats, etc.) and eating them at a small balanced pace! =) I've been doing myfitnesspal for only about a month and a half and I changed my diary to categories of BREAKFAST, LUNCH, AFTERNOON SNACK, DINNER, EVEING SNACK. That way i remind myself to eat smal amounts. Just remember...don't overstuff yourself during meal times, because if you think about it (and follow the 5 light meals a day), you will be eating in two hours! Try thinking of it like that! Good luck!

Studies have shown this idea of eating smaller, more frequent meals to be no more effective in losing weight than three meals daily. Of course, this is given that the overall daily caloric total is the same. But, if eating more frequently works better for someone, then by all means don't let that stop you from doing so. But doing that will not speed your metabolism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/health/23really.html
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

If your body is in starvation mode how do you fix that?

you eat enough to keep your body out of starvation. That means creating a reasonable goal and sticking to it, and eating your exercise calories. This is a generic statement. Everyone is different, some can tolerate a large deficit than others, and you may need to play with the calories a little to find the right amount for you, but while the specifics can differ from person to person, the general concepts (given that you don't have a medical condition that changes things) will always adhere to the rule.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options

Studies have shown this idea of eating smaller, more frequent meals to be no more effective in losing weight than three meals daily. Of course, this is given that the overall daily caloric total is the same. But, if eating more frequently works better for someone, then by all means don't let that stop you from doing so. But doing that will not speed your metabolism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/health/23really.html

Ah... true.

But personally, I find that eating my snacks (just a granola bar, a yogurt, fruit, something) keeps me from being so fanatically hungry when I sit down to a meal that I'm less inclined to overeat and chow down 4 tacos or half a pizza before I even realize what happened.

Eating slower allows your brain to get the signals that you're no longer hungry, and later, full, before you overeat. Eating fast can cause you to overeat before your brain even catches on that you're full.

So for me, snacks keep me eating slower because I'm allowing my brain and myself to eat slowly and not be constantly hungry.

It also makes me feel less like I'm dieting if I get to eat all the time!

So it has benefits for some. But it also allows more opportunities for overeating for those that have a compulsive issue with that. Too each his own, I guess.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Eat often (every 2-3 hours) and exercise often (do something active on a daily basis).
  • Rebecca__Lynn
    Options

I couldn't have said it better....I did the same thing with my diary categories. I feel like I'm eating all day long...but pack my bag in the morning so I have a good variety of fruits, veggies, protein etc...