Red Meat?

Options
I am currently living with my in-laws AND my brother and sister in law. My sister in laws dad is a cattle rancher and just recently gave us a side of beef. This pretty much means we are eating red meat 3 times a week. If you were in my shoes what would you do?? Even when I try to make a healthier chicken option of something ie mexican...I STILL have to make a beef option because most of my family doesn't like the healthier meats. It is such a mega pain in the butt, seriously!! I dont want to be the type of person to say this is what your getting, like it or lump it...but I may just have to. What are some negatives to eating red meat a lot??

Replies

• georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    3x a week is not considered 'a lot' in nutrition standards. This frequency ensures adequate iron intake. Yes you can get it from other sources but it's not so easily absorbed. Also, if you combine a food rich in Vitamin C with your red meat meal this improves the absorption of iron.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    What are some negatives to eating red meat a lot??
    Nothing comes to mind.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they're my kind of people. I love meat - especially red meat. I love steak! If I were in your shoes I'd be super happy lol.

Any how, as far as the negative side of eating too much red meat? Maybe some cholesterol issues down the road depending on what cuts of red meat you're eating, but truthfully 3x a week isn't that much for that to be an issue imo. Other than that, I can't think of anything else it'd cause - especially considering that it's only 3x a week.

Personally, I just cook myself a separate dinner or a different version of dinner when I cook dinner, because my husband needs to gain weight, and is not on a lc diet like I am; it works out pretty well.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well, I do feel a little better now. All I ever hear from people is how bad it is. And yes, her steaks are WONDERFUL btw!! I dont know how I am ever going to go back to store bought!!