I'm a sneaky dad... :-)

Options
So I have been having issues with my kids eating vegetables. What parent hasn't had that issue? LOL. I saw on the Biggest Loser where they mixed up veggies in their meatloaf. Tonight was burrito night for us. I boiled 1/2 bag of baby carrots, finely diced some onion, even threw in a full can of green beans. I browned my meat, added all the veggies and then put in the taco seasoning. Then I mashed like heck! I ended up with something the consistently of Taco Bell meat. Put a nice helping of it on their tortilla with refried beans, some lettuce and tomato, with a sprinkle of cheese.

They ate it like a champ - never said once anything about the veggies - in fact my oldest wanted another.

And, for the recorded, I did mine without cheese, but wanted sour cream... Used plain Greek yogurt instead. Couldn't taste the veggies... The taco seasoning and onions covered the taste of them. Mine totaled somewhere around 337 calories, including the tortilla.

+1 for dad.

Replies

• getfitg33k
    getfitg33k Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I might have to try to trick myself that way sometime. I'm such a kid about veggies. ;)
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Making me want tacos. :grumble:
  • ReachingNEON
    ReachingNEON Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    LOL that sounds yummy :)
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You're sneaky alright! lol I love it!!! Don't ever tell them!
    Kudos to you !
    :o)
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You're sneaky alright! lol I love it!!! Don't ever tell them!
    Kudos to you !
    :o)

great work!!!

You can hide them in all kinds of things!!!
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You should keep doing that!!!
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Win :laugh:
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Yay, Dad!
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There's a whole cookbook dedicated to doing just that.

http://www.doitdelicious.com/cookbooks/deceptively_delicious
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Okay, Dad. But now you are between a rock and a hard place. You say nothing, and you have fed them one helping of veggies. But, what good is that? One serving of veggies, amidst a sea of pizza, burgers and fries. Boo-pee-do ! You need to tell them, so they get over their reluctance to eat veggies.
    It is the only way.
    But then you lose their trust.
    So, what do you do?
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    Your version probably has more meat than Taco Bell food!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You can easily sneak a lot of veggies into spaghetti sauce as well. Either slow cook it for hours so that the veggies break down, or cook it so that the veggies are soft and then put it through a blender. FYI, if you are being sneaky about vegetables, avoid strong flavored ones like broccoli and brussel sprouts.

I would also suggest that you see if you can get your kids to develop some appreciation of vegetables. When they were young, my kids liked things like carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, snow peas, and blanched green beans if they could dip them in ranch dressing. Don't put the dressing on the vegetables--the act of dipping seems to be crucial for acceptance! LOL!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Awesome job :)
  • kat3a1
    kat3a1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That is a fantastic idea! :)
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    brilliant!
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Whoot
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hah! That's awesome. It actually sounds delicious.. I think I may try it for myself. lol
  • babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've done that before, also with green peppers and spinach. Yum :) I also put cooked and pureed carrots in spaghetti sauce. I've thought about using spinach aswell but havn't tried it yet. Thankfully my daughter likes veggies.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure Taco Bell meat is not food. Well, it does not contain nutrients anyway.
    You should stick with the tacos at Jack-in-the-Box ! Now, there is culinary achievement !