Perceptions of intellect?

Options
Gwenski
Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
I have noticed that some people stereotype the obese as less intelligent... While others stereotype very thin women as 'ditzy'.
Seems to me that the stereotypical intelligent person must be a perfect weight... Thoughts?

Replies

• SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I think too many people get their work outs by jumping to conclusions... Nothing will change that.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I perceive someone as stupid when they open their mouth and a whole mess of stupid tumbles out. Overweight, fit, underweight doesn't matter. Stupid is stupid. I'm sure I am seen as stupid and ditzy but in reality I am incredibly intelligent, and have accomplished a lot in my
    24 years
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where fat comes off first. Stupid fat is the most stubborn.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    I think those negative stereotypes are mostly applied to women
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the perception is that the more attractive a person, the more intelligent. This seems counter to what we see in movies and such. The ditzy types are always played by "pretty" people and smart people are nerdy looking.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Perceive someone as stupid when they say YOLO
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the perception is that the more attractive a person, the more intelligent. This seems counter to what we see in movies and such. The ditzy types are always played by "pretty" people and smart people are nerdy looking.

Except for all those movies where the brilliant rocket scientist geneticist detective Kung fu expert is played by a supermodel
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    i dont go by weight, i just go by gender, the weaker sex and all. Just the purely logical way.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i dont go by weight, i just go by gender, the weaker sex and all. Just the purely logical way.

aaaaaaaaaaaand UN-bang!
  • Bigbill810
    Bigbill810 Posts: 117
    Options
    They think fat = stupid...then they find out I'm an I.T. network engineer. Nevermind. Don't mess with the I.T guy.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I just assume attractive people are less intelligent than unattractive people. I am an anomaly..

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

aaaaaaaaaaaand UN-bang!

ROFL
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    705680988.jpg

It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

aaaaaaaaaaaand UN-bang!

ROFL

hey how YOU doin'....lmfao
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I don't think its about the weight. Its about how you carry yourself. I come off as sometimes intimidating to some because I usually have a serious face and even when I'm joking I usually use a straight, serious face. So folks who don't know me think I'm about to start kicking somebody's *kitten*.

Its all about how you carry yourself. IMHO
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't think its about the weight. Its about how you carry yourself. I come off as sometimes intimidating to some because I usually have a serious face and even when I'm joking I usually use a straight, serious face. So folks who don't know me think I'm about to start kicking somebody's *kitten*.

Well...we wouldn't want to get you angry...:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    705680988.jpg

It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.

that mat reminds me of someone? who who....oh yeah! my ex. lol.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I can barely carry my keys much less myself. please demonstrate.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Basically, I assume everyone is stupider than me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's not just fat and thin. I have large biceps so obviously I'm stupid. And of course everybody assumes I've never read a peer reviewed study just because I refuse to link or quote any of them.

Everyone knows that meatheads can't read. We just stare at ourselves in the mirror while blowing kisses at our flexed pecs.