Tired of the Yo-yo

Options
So I'm really looking to vent, and also for some encouragement. I'm so sick of yo-yoing. I feel like I continuously lose the same 15 pounds just to gain it back and start all over again.

Throughout high school, my weight never fluctuated more than 5 pounds during those 4 years. Oh then college happened and something changed. Since beginning college, I've been 139 at my lightest, 167 at my heaviest, and everything in between. I just recently graduated in May, and I had set a goal to myself to get back to 140 and I made it to 139 (which I feel very comfortable at, I look healthy). I guess my issue isn't just the weight fluctuation but it's WHY it's fluctuating. I know being thin is work but should it really be that difficult?? I've tried everything under the moon- healthy well-balanced eating, calorie counting, low carbing, fitness classes, 30 Day Shred, etc etc. None of these things whether alone or in combination has led to results after several months- not an inch or pound.

I'm tired of obsessing over food and obsessing over my body image. I should be able to eat a piece of chocolate or a slice of pizza every now and then without worrying that I'll gain 5 pounds. As ashamed as I am to admit it, after trying it the "right way" for so long, I get so desperate and frustrated that I decide to drastically cut calories to a mere 1000 per day. Then the weight drops off like magic. Of course, this isn't sustainable so eventually the pounds will come back. I cannot maintain my weight- I'm either gaining or losing. I did NOT start the drastic calorie cutting until I tried it the "right way" several times.

Why can't I lose weight without nearly depriving myself of everything? Why hasn't a balanced diet with exercise been enough for me? What's wrong with me, my body, my metabolism? In May I was 139, only 4 pounds away from my first goal, 9 away from my ideal. Now I'm 155, even after maintaining a well balanced diet/exercise regiment (minus the holidays, but this weight gain started very slowly in June). Did I destroy my metabolism when I cut calories? Even so, why didnt the other stuff work?

I'm just so, so tired of the up and down. I just want to maintain!! For the way I eat, I should NOT sturggle this much-- why??? :(

Sorry for the long rant....

Replies

• coutureaffair1992
    Options
    Ugh I definitely can relate. When you said, "being thin really can't be this difficult" I've thought that so many times, I wonder if every woman that stays thin has to obsess and put this much effort into it. Because of dieting and learning about calorie counting I've taken up binge eating and its a whole other world of issues, I often miss high school and when I knew nothing about calories, I never worried about food it's like ignorance is bliss. But then I became married & pregnant at the end of college so I had baby weight to lose postpartum now i yo-yo every week and am always stressing and thinking about when I'm going to be back down to goal weight or what the next days weighin will be, or what my next meal will be and when. Or when I can have my next cheat meal (which always turns into a binge) Ugh it's exhausting there is no way I can do this every day for the rest of my life.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel and I must add this before I continue starving yourself isnt helping you its hurting you more mentally than physically because once your mind gets to that level there is no turning back and you just added another issue anyway I have been there where I yo -yo But watching what you eat really is the key. I mean I shoulnt even be giving you advise because I cant even do this myself but this journey isnt easy it takes yrs of really getting this right and from what it seems like you have alot of stress. That sure doesn't help the issue you are having. Please stay healthy and tale this journey a day at a time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    We can't see your diary. Honestly, it's not THAT difficult, once you log everything accurately and stick to your goal. I'm guessing you're not, and that's why you're yoyoing.

I have no problem eating the occasional ice cream, chocolate bar, or pizza. And none of them will make you gain 5 lbs. My diary is open, if it helps (just skip last week, I was sick).