"Movements"

jewelinvic
jewelinvic Posts: 332
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
This is a bit of a delicate question, but i am having a little problem with constipation. I eat over my fibre every day and have actually added pitted prunes to my breakfast to go more regularly.

How do others handle this, if they have run into it. I don't want to turn to metamucil or benefibre unless totally necessary.

:embarassed:

Replies

• amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    I have run into a similar problem myself. I am over on fiber most every day (35 grams ish) and drink alot of water... The water seems to help a good bit. Try drinking more water. If you are in the 15-20 gram range, I would increase that. I aim for 30-35 grams and things have improved a bit.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    I face this every once in a while... things to look at in your diet:

Are you getting most of your fiber from fruits and veggies or from grains? I find that as long as I'm getting most of it from veggies - I'm good... if I eat fiber one or grains... not... so... good.

Are you drinking enough water? I have to drink 10-12 cups of water a day or I have problems. All that fiber and nothing to absorb? OUCH!

Enough fat? Fat is not the enemy... make sure that you're giving your body enough healthy fats... nuts, olive oil, etc... think of it as a lubricant.

If all else fails, no - I wouldn't turn to benefiber or metamucil, you're just adding more bulk. There is a tea that you can buy at most grocery stores and I kid you not, it's called "Smooth Move" - it's made from the senna leaf. If you drink a cup at night it should make you feel much better by morning.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Just had this problem. I typically eat 30+ grams of fiber a day most from fruit and veg, I drink water like it is going out of style and eat about 30% of my calories from fat (most "good" fats) so it was unusual for me. I tried drinking a few teaspoons of epsom salts dissolved in a giant glass of water (a somewhat lesser known use for epsom salts is as a saline laxative). Tasted disgusting, but got the job done. It is definitely not a permanent fix. I agree with the others about making sure you have the basics taken care of first. The default fiber amount on here is much lower than I think it should be. Aim for at LEAST 25 grams if you aren't already.
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    While a lot of the advice in the thread is good, if doesn't go away, you should see your doctor about this. Print out your meals from this site over the past few weeks and talk with them about recommendations to help with the problem. That is what they are there for, and if your body is having issues with the lifestyle adjustment, you should be talking with them about it.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    If you are consistently going over your fiber intake a lot you can be getting too much. If you have too much fiber it can do one of two things depending on you and your body:

1. It can do it's job even better.... too good you might say. :ohwell:

2. It can do the opposite of its job. :noway:

Too much fiber used to not be a big deal, but lately with a ton of items at the store being labeled "extra fiber!" more and more people are having this problem.

Try to reign in your consumption and hit your goal. If that doesn't help, definitely go to your doctor. Embarrassing as it might seem, if it doesn't go away it will only get worse.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    If you are consistently going over your fiber intake a lot you can be getting too much. If you have too much fiber it can do one of two things depending on you and your body:

1. It can do it's job even better.... too good you might say. :ohwell:

2. It can do the opposite of its job. :noway:

Too much fiber used to not be a big deal, but lately with a ton of items at the store being labeled "extra fiber!" more and more people are having this problem.

Try to reign in your consumption and hit your goal. If that doesn't help, definitely go to your doctor. Embarrassing as it might seem, if it doesn't go away it will only get worse.

Is too much fiber really a problem? I mean, provided that a person is also getting adequate water? I have heard that our hunter-gatherer ancestors used to eat something like 100 grams of fiber a day.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    My mother-in-law used to buy "extra fiber" items wherever she could get them and both her and her daughter got extremely constipated from it.

I'm sure there is a different level for everyone of what is "too much" for "too long." But it definitely exists.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    I've heard the same about excess fiber intake. I think it's a problem especially if it's in big doses. Think of it as a big wad in the pipes...

My step-sister used to have issues with going. My mom used to get her some mineral type oil you can find at the grocery store to give that lubricant effect.

Sometimes other things you are eating can counter-act the fiber you have. My grandma swears chocolate stops her up.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    My fibre intake was set to only 17 g per day. I have read and been told that you need a minium of 25 - 30 g per day. I do drink betwee 8-10 cups of water a day. It is getting better slowly (once a day now, instead of once every 2-3 days) I know, TMI :embarassed:

Thank you all for your help and advise, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    jewel :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.