"Fat-Full"foods. What's your take?

Options
As a rule I do not eat/ buy most fat free foods. I hate their taste, texture, additives, and believe they encourage me to only want to eat more. Non fat fro-yo is the exception. Even though i eat higher percentages if fat than most dieters i am always at my caloric goal and always get my fat from good sources like nuts, fish, olive oil, eggs, and dairy as opposed to fried food and baked goods. I have always justified my aversion to fat free by saying people just eat that stuff so they can eat more of it but i really want to see results in my body. Does eating full fat vs non fat make a difference for you?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Your perceptions are born out by research. In addition, when you look at what is substituted for the fat, it's often sugar (think salad dressing).

All things in moderation!
  • todosalamierda
    Options
    Your perceptions are born out by research. In addition, when you look at what is substituted for the fat, it's often sugar (think salad dressing).

All things in moderation!

This!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I eat fat free foods so I can eat more of them, or more of something else I want. But not exclusively fat free and not all the time. I don't see an issue with it in most contexts. For clarity though, I do value dietary fat and don't avoid it.

Salad dressing is one example. I'm going with a really low cal on something like that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Depends on taste, my calories and my macros which one I will pick.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I like the fat free Chobani, everything else is full fat, whole milk and such. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm in favor of them.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Fat is good and fat is filling. The demonization of fat was one of the dumbest things ever to happen in the nutrition world.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Dairy is the one area where I really prefer not to do low/non-fat. It just doesn't taste good.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    no I don't eat fat free as a rule. I look at cal. usually I go for what ever product light.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I eat the fat free Greek yogurt since it tastes like goat feet no matter how much fat is in it, but everything else fat all the way.
  • MrsRamseyForever
    MrsRamseyForever Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat the fat free Greek yogurt since it tastes like goat feet no matter how much fat is in it, but everything else fat all the way.

I just have to say, this kinda made me laugh... Although, I have to ask: why do you eat yogurt if you think it tastes like goat feet?!? :) If I thought something tasted like that, I don't care how good it is supposed to be for me, I'm not gonna eat it!! :)

As for the OP- I try to avoid foods that are fat or sugar free because I know that they just substitute those things with other things but sometimes if I really want something (like Coke for an example) I will take the fat/sugar free version so it fits in my macros better (if I am getting close to my goals that day). I don't prefer them by any means though...
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I use it as a substitute for mayo in cooking/sandwiches.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love all types of fat free yogurt, skim milk, and light sour cream. But if you come near with a slice of fat free cheese I will run in the other direction as fast as I can.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    PIck and choose myself. Yogurt fat free, PB regular, Dressing Fat-Free or light at least... Pretty much just according to taste more than anything though, and if the fat free version is significantly less calories too I'm sold.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I don't really shop much for foods that are offered in fat-free versions. I eat mostly meat, eggs, fresh vegetables, fruit, and lots of yummy paleo recipes that incorporate those things. But to be honest, if I had to choose between a fat-free and a full fat version of something, I'd choose full fat and be sensible about my portion.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I usually am a full-fat fan, but it depends on what it is. I got for skim or low-fat dairy, mostly because it cuts out the cholesterol, and I REALLY hate the taste of fat in it. I also go for leaner cuts of meat, when I do get them, because I just don't like the taste. Butter I buy full-fat, because the other things they put in place of it doesn't make sense to me, and I don't use butter often enough for it to make a huge impact overall.

To each their own. My boyfriend buys full-fat EVERYTHING because he loves the flavor. I don't, but fat in moderation is nothing to worry about, generally. It's a macronutrient we need to survive (because your body needs a certain percentage of fat just to function properly, since most hormones in the body rely on fat presence for production), and the idea that low-fat is somehow superior or that fat is a big demon is a ridiculous idea that got way out of hand in this country.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease & have trouble processing fats (1/4 of a small avocado will make me sick for 2 days) so I almst always buy low fat, but not fat free dairy products-but, I only get them if it doesn't have weird chemicals added (friendship 1% cottage cheese is my fav). My exception is fage 0% greek yogurt-tastes awesome & no additives.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Fat is good and fat is filling. The demonization of fat was one of the dumbest things ever to happen in the nutrition world.

Agreed, I don't believe in the "fat free' craze! I read into some Paleo and agree with their take on some things, eating the more whole versions of food is more important me now than squeezing out as many calories as possible through altered "non-fat" items.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My mom raised us on fat free and skim so that is what i'm used to. I typically buy 1-2% cottage cheese, yogurt and milk if I can. The Greek yogurt and cottage cheese I like is fat free or full fat and I can't stand the taste of full fat. Personally I think you should go as natural as possible and full fat and real butter are the way to go. Moderation is key. Small amounts of high quality calories are better than larger amounts of low quality calories.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I look for fat free or reduced fat in animal products.