Stupid Ice Cream!

Options
Actually, stupid me!!

I know ice cream is in 1/2 cup servings so I was putting ice cream in a measuring cup and it wasn't a lot. I purchased a food scale (which is awesome by the way) and realized if I measured out 1/2 cup, which is 4 oz, it's a lot more. This of course is too good to be true. I just looked at the carton and it says 1/2 cup is 63 grams! I've been eating probably 2 1/2 times a serving size because I've been measuring 4 oz instead of 63 grams.

I probably ate an extra 1000 calories last week just in ice cream! Oh well, live and learn.

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Liquid ounces and weight ounces are kind of mean to be named the same thing.
  • elizabethfeathers
    elizabethfeathers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You said it, LIVE AND LEARN!!!

Now you know, so move on and educate others!! Thanks for sharing!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cheap ice cream contains more air called "over-run" which makes it less dense and not as good. This means you get less if you measure by volume than by the scale. Good-scratch that-GREAT ice cream has less "over-run", is more dense, and thus contains more mass in the volume measurement.

This is why you should always go by weight, not volume if possible.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    <---- two servings.....
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    <---- two servings.....

YAAAY! enough for me
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    <---- two servings.....
    can I lick that in spirit?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Jac, that's a crap pic. Not appetizing at all.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You mean you measured 4 oz on the food scale and thought that was a half cup?
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Cheap ice cream contains more air called "over-run" which makes it less dense and not as good. This means you get less if you measure by volume than by the scale. Good-scratch that-GREAT ice cream has less "over-run", is more dense, and thus contains more mass in the volume measurement.

This is why you should always go by weight, not volume if possible.

Wow, I feel like I've been schooled in IceCream101...thank you!!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options

Yes, I didn't realize liquid oz and weight oz are different. I must have been absent that day in math class.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yup.

I'm having 125g (or 1.894 servings) of stupid ice cream right now. Mmmmm.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    That's what you get for trying to cheat the system.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me, my latest ice cream from Aldi (Rocky Road) has the portion size listed as 4 oz, not just a half cup. So no guesswork there!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yes, I didn't realize liquid oz and weight oz are different. I must have been absent that day in math class.

Ahh I see. Whoops! Liquid oz usually says "fl oz" BTW.

Oh well. There are worse things in life than enjoying a little too much ice cream.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Think what you will......It was amazing. banana, ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Think what you will......It was amazing. banana, ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream.

I'd eat it.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Ahh I see. Whoops! Liquid oz usually says "fl oz" BTW.

Oh well. There are worse things in life than enjoying a little too much ice cream.

Like enjoying too little ice cream!
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    A bit off topic here but I was reading an article tonight that said consuming anything cold (ice cream or even ice cold water) can slow down your metabolism and stall digestion. It explained why, but too much to write here. Google it for educational purposes. It said to get used to drinking water at room temperature or drink it 30 min after you eat. And also it said if you eat ice cream or frozen yogurt to either eat it with something warm or to let it sit in your mouth a minute to warm it up before swallowing it. It said continuous eating of cold things can make you gain weight due to the affects it has on your body (that would include the ice water). I think eating hot apple pie with my ice cream would do the trick in keeping my tummy warm and aid in the digestion :) yum!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    That is nonsense.