Need Some Squat Help...

Options
I want to add more weight to my bar for squats, but whenever I try this I feel it the most in my upper back/shoulder area...like a tight pinching pain between my shoulder blades and the back of my neck. Has this happened to anyone else? Could my back be not strong enough to support the added weight, or is my form wrong? Any ideas on how to make it go away?

Replies

• BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I want to add more weight to my bar for squats, but whenever I try this I feel it the most in my upper back/shoulder area...like a tight pinching pain between my shoulder blades and the back of my neck. Has this happened to anyone else? Could my back be not strong enough to support the added weight, or is my form wrong? Any ideas on how to make it go away?
    Dude is this your first topic? Aww I'm so proud.
    Are you using an Olympic bar? How much weight are we talking? I watch tons of YouTube videos on form. Also I don't use a pad and I don't feel anything. Maybe the placement on your back? I will post on my page for replies.
  • SmashliT
    SmashliT Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think it might be. Coming out in the Internet world!

Les Mills Body Pump bar....straight. Not a ton of weight, I am a weakling! Right now 10lbs plus the 5? Lb bar. I want to add 10 lbs.

could it be the weight plus the time? It is a squat track, so a bunch of reps in different speeds for ~6 min.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    There are 2 things you can do to help out with this issue:

1) Squeeze your shoulder blades as close together as possible and slightly shrug your shoulders backwards. This creates a "shelf" between your posterior deltoids and traps on which the bar can rest. Take a lower bar position with your hands as close together as your shoulders will allow. Flex your back hard and force your elbows down to your sides before taking the bar out of the rack. Everything should be tight, tight, tight before you start your squat.

2) Acquire more upper back mass by rowing and shrugging heavy and frequently.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Squat of 135 lbs and my neck - upper back was so hurting the next day. Will try the suggestion to create a shelf and tighten up before i try again.
  • SmashliT
    Options

1) Squeeze your shoulder blades as close together as possible and slightly shrug your shoulders backwards. This creates a "shelf" between your posterior deltoids and traps on which the bar can rest. Take a lower bar position with your hands as close together as your shoulders will allow. Flex your back hard and force your elbows down to your sides before taking the bar out of the rack. Everything should be tight, tight, tight before you start your squat.

I am trying option 2...but it is slow, I am weak. I will definitely try #1...I am pretty relaxed in my upper body right now with a wide grip. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • thomas127
    thomas127 Posts: 32
    Options

This. I had the same problem once I got to about 100kg. My upper back was very weak and i couldn't support the weight properly. I wasn't flexible enough to bring my hands in close enough so my back was nice and tight.

So you could try some shoulder/scapular flexibility and posture exercises if you cant get tight like loftearmen suggested. I just found some on you-tube. Once my dead lift and rows caught up with my squat and i was flexible I could keep moving up with weight. now up to 160kg for 5 reps and still going up.

I wanto get to a powerlifters status!

Goodluck
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think it might be. Coming out in the Internet world!

Les Mills Body Pump bar....straight. Not a ton of weight, I am a weakling! Right now 10lbs plus the 5? Lb bar. I want to add 10 lbs.

could it be the weight plus the time? It is a squat track, so a bunch of reps in different speeds for ~6 min.

Does it hurt the entire time? Or toward the middle or end of the track? Am I right in assuming you are using two medium plates (12 lbs)? Or are you using two large plates (22 lbs)?

I highly recommend talking to the instructor prior to class, a good instructor will be able to evaluate your form and bar placement. Good luck!
  • SmashliT
    Options

So you could try some shoulder/scapular flexibility and posture exercises if you cant get tight like loftearmen suggested. I just found some on you-tube. Once my dead lift and rows caught up with my squat and i was flexible I could keep moving up with weight. now up to 160kg for 5 reps and still going up.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look up the stretches as well, and work on my dead lifts and rows. I think it is time to add more weight to those too.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Love me some Body Pump! Make sure you have the bar on the meaty part of your neck/back. Also tuck your elbows to the front. Don't grip the bar tight with fingers. I like to open fingers up so bar is just resting and I'm not pulling down on the bar. How long have you been doing the classes? I've never had any pain in back/shoulders. Also check form that you arent bending over to the front.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

^ this!
  • SmashliT
    Options
    It starts hurting about a minute in....and I usually don't finish the whole set when I have tried. It is the medium plates....I want to go to the large. This is just at my house though, so I don't have an instructor. Thanks!
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Are you gripping the bar tightly and pulling it forward into your neck? Your core should be tight but your upper body should be somewhat relaxed, not tensed. Relax your face, neck, shoulders, arms, and hands. The medium plates are pretty light but because of the sheer volume of the number of squats and the speed it is easy to become fatigued. Maybe take a week or so and just do body weight squats.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I am trying option 2...but it is slow, I am weak. I will definitely try #1...I am pretty relaxed in my upper body right now with a wide grip. Thanks for the suggestions!

Based on that photo I'd do anything he tells me to in regards to lifting form. Hell I'm going incorporate those tips when I get back on the weights in a few weeks.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

This - especially #1.