Tips about salt

Options
This isn't a health issue but in my logs I'm seeing that I'm going over recommended salt rather often. I don't add salt to my food and I don't eat alot that I generally think of as salty. Any tips for getting that balance with salt seeming to be in EVERYTHING?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    A tip I read from another user here was whenever you buy pre-packaged foods/foods with a label, look at the nutrition label and compare the calories and sodium. Your goal would be that if a frozen burrito or can of soup (or whatever) has 250 calories per serving, then it should have no more than 250 mg of salt per serving.
  • CrimeanGurl
    CrimeanGurl Posts: 103
    Options
    Assuming that you're not doing it already, buy less prepackaged foods. A lot of this stuff is extremely high in sodium.
  • Adrini
    Adrini Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you're not doing it already, buy less prepackaged foods. A lot of this stuff is extremely high in sodium.

I've been doing that for sometime now. Things like bread, cheese and lean lunch meat are heavy in the stuff.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    also, unless you have high blood pressure (or your doctor has told you) salt isn't a huge issue. You don't want to go over a ton, especially because it will cause your body to hang on to water weight, but don't stress about the salt as much as other things (like fat, cholesterol, sugar, etc)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

I've been doing that for sometime now. Things like bread, cheese and lean lunch meat are heavy in the stuff.

There are some brands with reduced sodium for breads, cheeses, and deli meats. I get a package of honey ham that is very low salt, and this is the same ham that I chop into bits and toss in my omelets nearly everyday. I also love cheese and have gobs of it all the time. I am hardly ever over on my salt, so I really do think that some of the issue is with certain popular brands, not all of them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, if blood pressure isn't an issue, sodium shouldn't be an issue. Asians eat way more than the daily recommendation (along with MSG) and don't have the weight issues or health issues of their American counterparts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition