how do I stop bingeing?

Options
I am reading a lot about people who are finding it difficult to eat back their calories but my problem is that I am overeating and I don't know how to stop. Its not that I don't workout.I am doing Jillian Michaels' 30DS( just started this month). Before this, I was doing her banish fat...workout and occasionally Billy Blanks.The problem is all this high intensity workout is making me weak and I feel like my sugar level is crashing. And when I am done with lunch, I am only allowed 500 calories which is supposed to cover my 3-4 pm snack too. What do I do to not go overboard and stay within my limits and lose weight?

Replies

• hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating total per day? I noticed that if I restrict myself too much I tend to binge and crave foods that I feel are forbidden. I have begun eating 1600 calories a day regardless of if I work out or not. On the days I go to Zumba class I might eat around 1700.

You have to make this a lifestyle change and if you continually restrict yourself you are bound to fail.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    how many cals are you eating every day?if you are truly hungry, and you are finding that you are crashing after a workout- you likely need to up your daily intake a bit. i cant see your diary, but if you have it set to the myfitnesspal goals- pls know that the diary is set for you to be able to eat back your workout calories
  • TaminaShock
    TaminaShock Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I find the longer i stay up the more likely i'll over eat. Spread your calories out so that you can eat 6 times per day. Meals high in protein tend make make you feel fuller. I have 1400 cal to burn in a day i so i spread it out so i can eat 6 times a day and if i excercise its a bonous. My usual last snack of the night is fudgecycle rasberry chocolate ice cream and sunflower seeds. After that i feel great and not deprived.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Without looking at your diary I would have to say it sounds like you are not eating enough. Can you open your diary so we can take a look?
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a somewhat intense workout program (I don't know much about the 30DS), you should be "allowed" to eat quite a bit more calories than what it sounds like you're saying. I can't see why you're only allotted 500 calories for lunch and snack, unless you're eating lots of calories at breakfast and dinner. If that's the case, I'd advise you to reduce your calories at your other meals (especially at dinner - we don't actually need to eat big dinners... I mean, what do we need all that caloric energy for? We're heading to bed shortly!) and eating more calories at your lunch/snack times when you've been feeling like you're crashing.
    Also, the type of calories you're eating could come into play as far as energy goes... if you're eating your calories as simple carbs (Think: pre-packaged, high sugar types of foods), you might not feel as satiated as if you were to get most of your calories from lean meats and complex carbs...
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Some people lose their appetites after exercise, but I get ravenous!! I really feel the calorie deficit the work out produces. I also feel a bit shaky and the blood sugar drop. Definitely eat your exercise calories back for now. I have been eating protein and fat for breakfast since I workout in the morning and that is helping and a sugary fruit right after your workout may help with the blood sugar drop.
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have opened my diary to public. Please take a look. The calories allotted to me everyday is 1772. Usually, I cross it to 1800!! which is way too much and I feel really ashamed of myself. I am from India so you may not get it but Indian food is loaded with carbs! its just there but I try to make healthy carbs choices like whole wheat breat and oats! I also go for yoga on MWF so I am working out twice a day sometimes.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Options
    Some people lose their appetites after exercise, but I get ravenous!! I really feel the calorie deficit the work out produces. I also feel a bit shaky and the blood sugar drop. Definitely eat your exercise calories back for now. I have been eating protein and fat for breakfast since I workout in the morning and that is helping and a sugary fruit right after your workout may help with the blood sugar drop.
    Good luck:flowerforyou:

same with me~!:sad:
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i started a 30 day binge-free blog. i'm only on my fourth day but so far it helps a lot
  • PixieNana2013
    PixieNana2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It can take a while for your body to adapt to having less food. You do appear to be using a lot of calories for breakfast. I find a bowl of porridge oats, made with milk and water with a little honey keeps me full until lunch. As someone else suggested, try having fewer calories at each meal and eat 5 or 6 times a day to keep topped up. I hope that helps.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    If you up your protein quite a bit more you'll find you won't be as hungry and end up eating so many carbs.
  • jamiek917
    Options
    Okay, I have opened my diary to public. Please take a look. The calories allotted to me everyday is 1772. Usually, I cross it to 1800!! which is way too much and I feel really ashamed of myself. I am from India so you may not get it but Indian food is loaded with carbs! its just there but I try to make healthy carbs choices like whole wheat breat and oats! I also go for yoga on MWF so I am working out twice a day sometimes.

your carb count is crazy high compared to your protein. protein and fat fill you up more than carbs. i know indian cuisine is carb-heavy, but do you have other options that would be higher in protein and healthy fats?

try a week of hitting certain macros (the breakdown of carb/fat/protein). mine is 40%/25%/35%. id say a good starting point is 50% carbs/ and either 25F/25P or 20F and 30P. give it a try for a while and see if u feel more satisfied. it will liekly also help with the weight loss.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Options
    It can take a while for your body to adapt to having less food. You do appear to be using a lot of calories for breakfast. I find a bowl of porridge oats, made with milk and water with a little honey keeps me full until lunch. As someone else suggested, try having fewer calories at each meal and eat 5 or 6 times a day to keep topped up. I hope that helps.

That's right. I like to wake up to a big breakfast but I am incapable of portion control and I am afraid to eat less because I have a fear of fainting :sad: which is not helping with my weight loss at all and I am also unemployed so I keep snacking on stuff throughout the day and that makes me upset at the end of the day ans sometimes I don't list the things I eat out of embarassment.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    start binge exercising.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Options

your carb count is crazy high compared to your protein. protein and fat fill you up more than carbs. i know indian cuisine is carb-heavy, but do you have other options that would be higher in protein and healthy fats?

try a week of hitting certain macros (the breakdown of carb/fat/protein). mine is 40%/25%/35%. id say a good starting point is 50% carbs/ and either 25F/25P or 20F and 30P. give it a try for a while and see if u feel more satisfied. it will liekly also help with the weight loss.

a lot of people on mfp advised me to load up on protein and the only source I am consuming is in the form of cheese,cottage cheese,milk and lentils. I know chicken is loaded with it and I would love to have t thrice a week but it's not a feasible option for me coz i don't cook no veg food and again added in Indian diet it would end up a bit carb dense lol
  • rook476
    rook476 Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to have a pretty bad problem with late-night sugar binges, and I have two mantras for you:

1) "Crave sugar, feed fat." No kidding. If you take the number of calories you would consume of sugar, and put them toward something fatty like some coconut milk or nut butter, you'll feel way better.
    2) "[The food you want] is a candle." Candles look pretty and smell good, but they're not for eating.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    start binge exercising.
  • jamiek917
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/374398-indian-foods-rich-in-protein/

have you fainted before from eating too little?

do you have control over the food in your house ? (are you buying the food or do you live with parents who insist on buying certain food). im aware of my trigger foods, and dont keep them in the house. for example, im aware that if i buy cereal, ill want cereal over other foods, and will eat 3-4x a serving for a meal, and wont be satisfied bc its typically not a filling carb,.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Options
    start binge exercising.

um,isn' that as bad as binge eating??:noway: anyways, I don't want to overtrain.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    you wont faint, i once fasted (for personal holy reasons) for a week. I was going to keep going but at that point I rode a bike 10-40 miles a day and feared I would faint on my bike.... so I ended the fast. the point is you wont faint unless you have a medical issue which might cause you to do so.... speak with a doctor about your diet if that will give you the confidence you need to be successful with your diet plan.

Having nothing can do can be dangerous if you don't invest the time wisely. When I was full time student, with three jobs and an internship. I had no time for exercise, except my commute by bike everywhere. I also made poor choices regarding my food because I was always limited for time and had to grasp each opportunity to eat. If you have a lot of time you have no excuse, take the time in planning out your meals, do some research and find the most protein full meals that you can make with what you have and slowly cut out items that are just wasted space on your plate. That being said, once I HAD time I was so excited to run every day and take every yoga class that fell upon me. Once you get that back in your life you remember that there is always time for health and nutrition.

If I'm eating out or know I will be in a limited situation I do some research even if its as simple as http://www.livestrong.com/article/377322-low-carb-indian-food/
    then I build from there..... often I binge RESEARCH on foods to make sure I am making good decisions. This naturally keeps me from binge eating, because well its just impossible unless you are super masochistic or something.

you have to reduce your calories to get your body adapted to eating less in the first place, your stomach will shrink and you will be able to get that full feeling more easily... you can do it!