haters at gym!!

Options

Replies

• Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I absolutely, positively agree! Everyone has a right to be there! That is the number one reason why I hate going to gyms, and decided to use my spare room as a home gym. I have managed to build it up to an ab lounge, elliptical, bike, bow-flex, and aeropilates machine. Just because I hate the drama at the gym. Sheesh!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    The only people I stare at in the gym are the ones who have body parts I like. "Oh, I wish I had her arms." "Oh, I wish I had her *kitten*."
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Well said!

There were skinner people making fun of me in Zumba the other day and I really didn't care because at least I could keep up with the teacher.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I dislike the people that complain about the 'new year brigade'. What they're really saying is "I'm so awesome that I come to the gym all year round and I'm better than the people that come in after new years for a month".
  • MissyLaRae
    MissyLaRae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are people really there hating or are other people just there thinking they are? I have found that most people don't care what you're doing, and I don't care what they're doing.

If there are haters at your gym just ignore them and focus on yourself. It shouldn't stop you from working out.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It really bothers me when girls talk **** about other girls at the gym. That skinny girl wearing the spandex pants and tank top who comes to walk the treadmill maybe doesn’t have the ability to run 5 minutes. That bigger girl who you think shouldn’t be wearing a tight top finally got the confidence to do so. That girl who wears makeup maybe has no self-esteem and thats the only way she’ll go to the gym. Regardless, what others are wearing or doing at the gym shouldnt affect why youre there. Stop putting a label on everyone because fitness is a lifestyle that should be welcoming to everyone.

Thank you :flowerforyou:
    After being on this site and seeing the great achievements people make in weight loss, I no longer have judgements on a person's size.
    You don't know what they've done or where they've come from.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    What the hell kind of gyms are you people going to? That is some wack behaviour going on.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this happening....
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    You said it! I don't use a gym, but if I have on make-up at work, I would not take it off just to go to the gym. If I am wearing make-up whenever I decided to exercise, It leave it on. I usually regret it because I am sweaty and gross after, so the make-up is useless. However, the decision to initially wear make-up had absolutely nothing to do with working out. It was usually because I had meetings with clients all day or what not. I would be far more concerned with my business associates and potential clients seeing me in my gym attire (sweaty face/hair) while at work vs. people at the gym seeing me with make-up on and my hair presentable. It doesn't ALWAYS have to do with self esteem.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. And you know what else? Most people are not looking at other people and judging. Most people are there dealing with their own goals and challenges. It's only a narcissistic few that sit around judging others. Most of us are there to work!
  • Charz612
    Charz612 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This.............. makes people (like me) feel like I don't wanna go!

Put's me off going at certain times, days etc....

Same, the 3 times in my life that I got brave enough to walk into a gym I got mocked, by other gym goers and also once by a staff member. Once I even got locked into a 12 month contract and only went once, I tried to explain that I was not comfortable there because of being mocked and haters but they would not let me out of the contract. I don't think I will ever join a gym again, even when I do look like I might be welcome! Plus I much prefer to exercise outside.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I seldom notice what other people are doing at the gym unless they're using the equipment that I want to use.
    Sometimes someone will catch my eye for one reason or another, like the woman at the mirror in the dressing room styling her hair and putting on makeup before her workout. But that's her business. It did strike me as funny, though.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You think its the women that are like this, guys are too ive seen and heard stuff that surprises me. Drama will always happen, people can not help themselves, myself i just chosen to ignore it and praise anyone who wants to get fit no matter what size, age or gender .
  • Barbsunshine
    Options
    I guess I'm really fortunate! I go to a great gym...it's actually called a "wellness center" where everyone acts like adults. There are fit people and overweight people like myself, of all ages. We're all there for the same reason, just some need a little more work to get there.
  • mamabisme
    mamabisme Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    People usually stare at me and talk about me at the gym, however it's not usually in a negative way! Most can't believe that someone my size can do the workouts I do. I have earned the respect of many in the gym to the point that I regularily get compliments from many of the regular gym goers. Respect the people there for making the effort and comittment to go. Yes there are snotty people ( I notice that side when my teenage daughter who is very athletic is with me) but whatever, that is life and not gonna change when a person feels intimidated or threatened in standing by someone else there.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I dislike the people that complain about the 'new year brigade'. What they're really saying is "I'm so awesome that I come to the gym all year round and I'm better than the people that come in after new years for a month".

Well, you know what? People who commit to something year-round ARE cooler than dilettantes who make a "resolution" that they keep for three days between January 1st and January 15th.

I'm perfectly supportive of anybody starting at any other time and only working out for a day or an hour or whatever they can manage. I love seeing new people who are just starting out - it's so inspiring. I just don't like fighting for a treadmill in early January.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    OP, are people actually saying these things out loud? Or are they just looking as if that's what they are thinking? Because a lot of people here are talking about people looking at them in an offensive way, but only a few have mentioned negative things that are actually said aloud. I would think if people are talking negatively or offensively that the gym manager should be notified and they should be invited to leave.

I have NEVER heard anybody say things like that at the gym I go to. Even when I was starting, and felt like I was just a fat old lady who couldn't keep up with all those young, fit athletes around me. I never noticed people even looking at me, and I could have cared less if they had. So what? If they're nasty enough that they have to be judging you, perhaps they are more to be pitied for their pathetic miserable little lives. Because you might be fat...but they're ugly. And you can diet.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It really bothers me when girls talk **** about other girls at the gym. That skinny girl wearing the spandex pants and tank top who comes to walk the treadmill maybe doesn’t have the ability to run 5 minutes. That bigger girl who you think shouldn’t be wearing a tight top finally got the confidence to do so. That girl who wears makeup maybe has no self-esteem and thats the only way she’ll go to the gym. Regardless, what others are wearing or doing at the gym shouldnt affect why youre there. Stop putting a label on everyone because fitness is a lifestyle that should be welcoming to everyone.

Nice to see a positive post.

:flowerforyou:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    This.............. makes people (like me) feel like I don't wanna go!

Put's me off going at certain times, days etc....

Same, the 3 times in my life that I got brave enough to walk into a gym I got mocked, by other gym goers and also once by a staff member. Once I even got locked into a 12 month contract and only went once, I tried to explain that I was not comfortable there because of being mocked and haters but they would not let me out of the contract. I don't think I will ever join a gym again, even when I do look like I might be welcome! Plus I much prefer to exercise outside.

Are you sure? I would never mock anybody at the gym, and I've never seen it happen, either. I have seen teenagers/20-somethings giggling amongst themselves and wondered if they were laughing at somebody, but who knows...they could be talking and laughing about anything. Remember - before you worry what somebody else thinks, realize how seldom they do think.