kids and exercise

Hello, I am looking for opinions. I have 3 kids 11, 9, and 5. They have no weight issues and are very active in sports. My issue is that I am doing p90x and they want to do it with me. I am concerned for their health though. I don't know if that sort of exercise will be too much for their bodies. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    I would talk to their doctor. They might have to eat more because they are growing boys.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    I agree! I'm sure they'll have to eat more. I wouldn't let them lift weights though. Discuss with the pediatrician, but I bet it'd be fine if they went at their own pace.
  • cpatt
    cpatt Posts: 38 Member
    I agree, I would consult with their pediatrician first. I ordered "Tony and the Kids" for my kids so that they could still workout with Tony, but geared toward kids. They also like the Shaun T workout for kids.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    I am sure they can do it, but with probably only 1 - 5lb weight or no weights at all,...they can do the movements without weights, and it will still work and burn, but takes a longer time to get burned out.

They are kids, I doubt they will put as much energy as we do...and you can monitor them, and if you feel they are pushing too hard, let them take it easy

My 7 year old son, worked out with me when I did P90X or Insanity

But as everyone mentioned, you can also speak to your pediatrician first.

Goodluck
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I am not familiar with all of the P90X movements, but i suspect they can do many of them without any problems--especially any movements that use body weight as resistance. For them, the structure should be more like play than like exercise. They don't really NEED structured exercise workouts, but they will benefit from play and physical activity.

The issues that are of concern with kids and exercise are: avoid overhead lifts with heavy weights and avoid maximal lifts. Also, kids can become dehydrated more easily so attention needs to be paid to that in a warmer environment.

Again--structure it in terms of play and they should be fine.
  • They'll quit as soon as they get bored. I personally wouldn't worry unless they're doing it out of some weird, distorted body image thing. My kids exercise with me...they say they want to, but get bored and give up fast. At least they move!